Possible pedantic dickweedery in .NET arrays

• As a side project at work, I'm rewriting a desktop application in C# that pulls large arrays of bytes from a database, converts them to floating-point numbers, and displays them in a graph. For some reason this application was originally written in LabVIEW even though it runs on a Windows PC and takes advantage of zero LabVIEW low-level-coding features. Also I hate LabVIEW on principle, hence the rewrite. The bytes in the database are stored in BLOBs in big-endian order, but since .NET's BitConverter works in little-endian it is necessary to reverse the arrays before performing the conversion.

So I was happily coding along until the point where I hooked the arrays of floating point numbers up to graphs and saw that the data was haywire. It seemed to range between -infinity and infinity with no pattern whatsoever. I looked at the same dataset using the LabVIEW program and it looked correct, so the problem has to be somewhere in the C# application. Commence digging, looking through old design documents, etc....

Fast forward a few weeks to today when I discovered an online example of a similar situation which uses Array.Reverse(arg) instead of arg.Reverse() to reverse the byte order. Expecting no difference, I made the change and recompiled.

The data displayed correctly. WTF. Really?

According to the documentation, Array.Reverse(arg) "Reverses the sequence of the elements in the entire one-dimensional System.Array" whereas arg.Reverse() "Inverts the order of the elements in a sequence". Those both read the same to me. And so I turn it over to those accused of being pedantic dickweeds on this forum: is there any reason to expect that these two functions would do something different? In other words, WTF?

• I don't know C#, but I have been speaking English natively for more than 50 years; those two say the same thing to me.

•  What are the return values? Perhaps Array.Reverse returns null and reverses the array in-place, and arg.Reverse() returns a new reversed collection without affecting the original array. If arg.Reverse() is from the System.Linq namespace, that's probably what's going on.

• Here's the documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb358497.aspx

Reverse() is an extension method of Enumerable.  Probably because it is a part of the Linq namespace, it was designed to use deferred execution.  You have to call GetEnumerator() (normally by use of a foreach loop) in order to get the reversed elements.  If Visual Studio didn't automatically include "using System.Linq;" at the top of every new class file, there would be less confusion like this.

• I like to put .ToList() or .ToArray() on the end of Linq methods if I need to avoid deferred execution.

• And of course there are "tutorials" like this one: http://www.dotnetperls.com/array-reverse where the author claims to be showing you a simplified version of array reversal.  Unfortunately, the foreach loop he's using for display purposes just happens to make this example work, probably inadvertently.

• And this is what happens when I don't RTFM thoroughly. :P Thanks for the replies.

• @mott555 said:

I like to put .ToList() or .ToArray() on the end of Linq methods if I need to avoid deferred execution.

How about .ToList().ToArray() to be doubly sure?

• @frits said:

@mott555 said:

I like to put .ToList() or .ToArray() on the end of Linq methods if I need to avoid deferred execution.

How about .ToList().ToArray() to be doubly sure?

public List<int> ReverseList(List<int> numbers)

{

return numbers.Reverse().ToList().ToArray().Skip(0).ToList().ToArray().Take(numbers.Count).ToList().ToArray().Where(i => true == true).ToList().ToArray().Select(i => i).ToList().ToArray();

}

• I'm afraid that won't compile; the return type is List<int>, and you're trying to return an int[] :)

• @ekolis said:

I'm afraid that won't compile; the return type is List<int>, and you're trying to return an int[] :)

Shove another toList() on the end and ship it!

• @DaveK said:

@ekolis said:

I'm afraid that won't compile; the return type is List<int>, and you're trying to return an int[] :)

Can you navigate it with the arrow keys?

• @dhromed said:

@DaveK said:

@ekolis said:

Can you navigate it with the arrow keys?

It uses QWOP for everything!

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.