Comment Spam



  • I dislike comment spam - that is, the posts spammers make on various forums, boards, and so-on like this in an effort to temporarily increase their google ranking. I expect everyone else does too.

    It seems to me that combating it is actually relatively simple. Instead of deleting it, as we do at the moment, wouldn't it be better to reply to such posts with appropriate - or rather inappropriate - keyword-rich posts?

    I wondered whether it might be more effective to post random keywords, in an attempt to iron out the bumps, so to speak, or to go for completely opposite keywords. Does anyone with more SEO experience have a good reason not to do this?



  • I'd be against it simply on the principle it further degrades the quality of comments, and confuses any laypeople who are reading them. Also, search engines are changing their algorithms quite often to combat this sort of thing already. I'd be willing to bet most search engines have since adapted to this tactic and the idiot who spammed the comment isn't actually gaining any benefit, nor will your counterattack have much effect to the spammer's rankings either.



  • The mods will continue to delete spam as we see it and you report it.  Leaving the spam up is really not an option.  If you want to actively do what you're suggesting, I might suggest another forum.

    Personally, I haven't actually seen a spam post in quite a while, as they're cleared out before I see them.  But there are recent spam reports and recently deleted posts, so the spammers are still trying.

     



  • @belgariontheking said:

    The mods will continue to delete spam as we see it and you report it.  Leaving the spam up is really not an option.  If you want to actively do what you're suggesting, I might suggest another forum.

    Personally, I haven't actually seen a spam post in quite a while, as they're cleared out before I see them.  But there are recent spam reports and recently deleted posts, so the spammers are still trying.


     

    Is copy pasting big novel that nobody want to read in comment section, considered spam or sign of being idiot?



  • @Nagesh said:

    Is copy pasting big novel that nobody want to read in comment section, considered spam or sign of being idiot?
     

     

    I would say it's just spam, but I suppose it could be both if they highlighted the whole thing and made it bold.



  • @boog said:

    @Nagesh said:
    Is copy pasting big novel that nobody want to read in comment section, considered spam or sign of being idiot?

    I would say it's just spam, but I suppose it could be both if they highlighted the whole thing and made it bold.

    I'd consider it spam if they included links. Otherwise, it's just crapflooding. Either way, it's being an idiot. Given what we know about CS (or at least this installation of it), it could also be a DOS if it fills up the database.



  • Depends, are they wearing a furs and hats with horns?



  • @Nagesh said:

    Is copy pasting big novel that nobody want to read in comment section, considered spam or sign of being idiot?

    Can it be both?

    Spam doesn't have to be advertising.

    Anyway, if this thread is about the front page comments, ignore my post above.  I have no interest in or control over them.  AFAIK Alex rolled his own Comments section and rigged it up to authenticate against the CS db.  


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.