Are there any good hard drive error checking utilities for Windows 7?

• @Cassidy said:

I refuse to believe that.

SuSE supported ReiserFS out of the box (until someone's wife went missing); the PS2 Linux is apparently based on a distro based on RH, and RH aren't known for acknowledging (or supporting) stuff outside of their clique.

(on a footnote - I used Reiser under RH8 and FC4 because you could do online FS growing before the EXT3 tools eventually provided this functionality)

Sounds like this to me.

• @blakeyrat said:

Sounds like this to me.
    my favorite part is at 5:37 when he says Bloobity Bloobity Bloobity Bloobity

• @El_Heffe said:

@blakeyrat said:

Sounds like this to me.

Fixed link. You had the hash in there, but forgot the t=5m37s.

• @Cassidy said:

I've not heard of 10.04 BC but although 11.10 comes with Unity, it's possible to flick it back to traditional Gnome/KDE, in the same way as removing all the Win7 eyecandy and using Windows Classic Desktop.

True, but it once again raises the question: how good is a LiveCD if you have to switch desktop environments?

@Cassidy said:

(on a footnote - I used Reiser under RH8 and FC4 because you could do online FS growing before the EXT3 tools eventually provided this functionality)

XFS supports it, too. It also supported freezing before the others. I worked at a place that defaulted to Resier on hundreds of machines and corruption was a common occurrence. I always use XFS because: it's fast; it's scalable; and it has good support for snapshots (although all of the others do now).

• @morbiuswilters said:

True, but it once again raises the question: how good is a LiveCD if you have to switch desktop environments?

Well... you don't have to switch desktop environments - just pointing out that you're not stuck on Unity if you go down the Ubun route. But I get yer drift.

@morbiuswilters said:

XFS supports it, too. It also supported freezing before the others. I worked at a place that defaulted to Resier on hundreds of machines and corruption was a common occurrence. I always use XFS because: it's fast; it's scalable; and it has good support for snapshots (although all of the others do now).

Ooohhh... now that piques my interest. Only ever played with ext2/3/4 and Hans' baby... I'll take XFS as a recommendation. Ta for that pointer!

• @Cassidy said:

Ooohhh... now that peaks my interest.

FTFY

• @blakeyrat said:

@El_Heffe said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Sounds like this to me.

Fixed link. You had the hash in there, but forgot the t=5m37s.

I think that video makes an excellent replacement for "TL;DR".

• @Sutherlands said:

@Cassidy said:

Ooohhh... now that peaks my interest.

FTFY

You trying to stimulate my pique? Kinky!

• @El_Heffe said:

I think that video makes an excellent replacement for "TL;DR".

I was going more for "goddamned talking about filesystems is boring as fucking shit and there's so many weird acronyms, it sounds just like bloobity bloobity bloobity". Plus I like to imagine Cassidy has grapes up his nose.

Seriously, is there anything more boring in computer science than filesystems? I can't think of anything.

• @blakeyrat said:

Seriously, is there anything more boring in computer science than filesystems? I can't think of anything.

Hadrware interface protocols.

Or, TCP/IP.

• @dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Or, TCP/IP.

I actually like filesystems and TCP/IP.. D:

•  @morbiuswilters said:

@dhromed said:

@blakeyrat said:

Or, TCP/IP.

I actually like filesystems and TCP/IP.. D:

My grandma's boring and I actually like her, what's your point?

• @mrsparkyman said:

My grandma's boring and I actually like her, what's your point?

We all like your grandma. My point is: I don't find filesystems and TCP/IP to be boring.

• @blakeyrat said:

Implementation and Performance of a Novel Red/Black Tree Implementation

•  I think the answer to the question is Windows 7.

But on the subject of Linux and NTFS, I gave up on it because while it worked perfectly on Linux (at least in 2011..), as soon as there is some slight corruption caused by e.g. power cycle without dismount , you can no longer create new files.

You can recycle old ones into new ones, but the total number on the drive remains fixed.

I was using a 2TB WD formatted NTFS out of the box as a backup drive connected via USB2 so I could move it to a Windows machine to recover the files (using rsync backups)   if the Linux box failed.

But because of the NTFS issue  the backup failed after a while - I had to keep on reconnecting it to Windows and running scans on that  to correct the problem.

And because it was USB and the motherboard had a bad USB2 controller, It would take more than a day to do an incremental backup of the day's files whenever I loaded a few gigabytes of photos from the camera.

So I switched the drive to an ESATA enclosure and formatted it ext2. Because you can get an installable ext2 mounter for Windows NT and later http://www.fs-driver.org.

Benefits - doesnt silently go FUBAR . Incremental daily backups happen in less than an hour