IDE Project

• I recently looked into the .prj of one of the projects I'm working on. To find it looks like this

[Compiler Options]

Edit8=bin<br>
    CheckBox1=1

CheckBox2=1

Edit3=ATMEGA

Edit4=

Edit11=16

Edit13=

ComboBox1=0

Edit9=16384

Edit10=1024

ComboBox2=26

I can't now help but wonder about the rest of the IDE. Considering the entire company is based on its output.

• One day that programmer will realise that it's possible to rename controls so that they have descriptive, nay, even meaningful names.

And then, after playing around with it for half an hour, they'll go back to just using the default names because it's quicker and it's always worked for them in the past.

• Wait, is this not normal?

• @Sutherlands said:

Wait, is this not normal?

Don't you see Edit4 and Edit13 have no value? what a pity...

• ♿ (Parody)

@gobes said:

Does that mean it's null or just an empty string? Or maybe I wandered into the wrong forum...

• @boomzilla said:

@gobes said:

Does that mean it's null or just an empty string? Or maybe I wandered into the wrong forum...

But everybody know to put an empty string into a textbox you have to write Edit4 = nullValueOrEmptyString. Usually lulz are ensuing this kind of phrase.

• @gobes said:

Don't you see sarcasm? what a pity...

• Reminds me of a bit of in-house barcode software I had to use once, just tacking nonsensical crap willy nilly to the config file. But it gets worse.. 

When freshly installed, the software was speedy. Scan a barcode, do a little input, click the 'Update' button and wait 3s for it to bang against the database. But it ran slower and slower as time went on. After a couple months 'Update' meant you had time to grab a coffee. Starting the program had gone from 15s to make-a-pot-and-pour-two-cups. 

So I went poking around. Lo and behold, I see a huge config file. After a nicely commented and self explanatory beginning was a huge glob of data like: 

SDT=090899212301    SDV=[huge hex string]    SDO=1    SDOT=092099084031    CB021T=090899213003    CB021V=1    CB021VO=0    CB021VOT=092099084031   CB021VS=WARNING (repeat this last bit 100 times).....

Every change and bit of data since install, with date and time. So the config file doubles as a log. Not the end of the world. But the real WTF? Through trial end error editing the file, I found some things out. See the bits ending in 'OT', that contain datetime? And how they're different than the 'T' entries? The program, on startup, would read and validate the entire file before changing the timestamps and adding in more WARNINGs. And every click of the 'Update' button made the program look for all those little 'O' flags and, if they weren't all '1', tack a PE, PEV, and PET field at the end for every one, along with the new stuff. 

autoexec.bat was changed so that on startup a clean tiny config file was copied over the old huge one, and users were told to restart their machines if it got too slow.

• @boomzilla said:

@gobes said:

I thought that it was EOF, but I guess that would have rendered the rest of the file pointless O.o

• @Sutherlands said:

@gobes said:

Didn't you see the hyperbole red herring? what a pity...

• @dhromed said:

@Sutherlands said:

@gobes said:

Didn't you see the hyperbole red herring? what a pity...

Next time I should put some smileys to show how funny I can be...

Edit: what a pity, of course

• @Sarah said:

@Jareth said:
    @Sarah said:
    Is that... the castle beyond the Goblin City?

Turn back, Sarah. Turn back before it's too late.

I can't. Don't you understand that I can't?

What a pity.

• @DanceMaster said:

@boomzilla said:
    @gobes said:

I thought that it was EOF, but I guess that would have rendered the rest of the file pointless O.o

Took all my will power to let this one go. Nice work. I'm still waiting for Mason to jump in and start talking about Delphi. Is he still around?