Game Launchers, amirite?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:
    WTF? I haven't used a TV with my computer since my Commodore 64, you geezer.

1. There's no difference between a TV and a computer monitor here in the far-flung future of 2011. It's been that way for, oh, 5-6 years now. (Well, ok; there is a slight difference: something labelled a "TV" is guaranteed to have a ATSC tuner here in the US, where something labeled as a "monitor" may or may not have one.)

OK, I admit, my reply was almost as pedantically dickweedish as what I was replying to.

But seriously do you only ever use your TV's speakers? You don't have a real sound system hooked up? Those generally have volume knobs. Not to mention PC external speakers. Buttons are frankly crap UI compared to a knob. Why are you advocating crap UI?

• @boomzilla said:

But seriously do you only ever use your TV's speakers?

Yes.

@boomzilla said:

You don't have a real sound system hooked up?

Correct. Guess why?

(Answer: abysmal user experience. I'd rather have shitty weak stereo then have to fumble with 3 remotes to get 5.1 surround.)

@boomzilla said:

Not to mention PC external speakers.

I use the volume control on the keyboard, which is buttons in my case although I am aware some keyboards come with knobs.

@boomzilla said:

Buttons are frankly crap UI compared to a knob. Why are you advocating crap UI?

I'm not advocating anything, there are no value judgement in my post. You're doing your usual good job at reading comprehension, keep it up! (Reading comprehension protip: that was sarcasm. You can't read worth shit.)

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:
    Buttons are frankly crap UI compared to a knob. Why are you advocating crap UI?

I'm not advocating anything, there are no value judgement in my post. You're doing your usual good job at reading comprehension, keep it up! (Reading comprehension protip: that was sarcasm. You can't read worth shit.)

No, you may think you're not advocating everything, but calling people names who use knobs is pretty much advocating it. I understand that this requires slightly more sophisticated use of language than you're comfortable with, but there you go.

• @boomzilla said:

No, you may think you're not advocating everything,

Correct. Advocating everything would be stupid, as you'd cancel yourself out. "I advocate a flat income tax! I also advocate a stepped income tax!" See? Doesn't work.

@boomzilla said:

but calling people names who use knobs is pretty much advocating it.

I'm calling him names because he's a geezer. I didn't say "knobs are better than buttons", nor did I say "buttons are better than knobs". I made absolutely no value judgement relating to knobs what-so-ever, in fact. Hell, I don't even have an opinion on the matter.

@boomzilla said:

I understand that this requires slightly more sophisticated use of language than you're comfortable with, but there you go.

I just want you to at least glance at the words on the page at some point.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:
    but calling people names who use knobs is pretty much advocating it.

I'm calling him names because he's a geezer. I didn't say "knobs are better than buttons", nor did I say "buttons are better than knobs". I made absolutely no value judgement relating to knobs what-so-ever, in fact. Hell, I don't even have an opinion on the matter.

You called him a derogatory name because he reference a volume knob. Well, maybe there was another reason tucked away in your thought process, but it never made it out into your post. Maybe it's just another example of your limited imagination. Or just a weaker rant. I get it that sometimes there's not much to work with, so you need to stretch things. But when you come back and try to defend a weaker attempt like this, well, it's kinda embarrassing, and below (what should be) your standards.

@blakeyrat said:

I just want you to at least glance at the words on the page at some point.

I promise, but only if you'll promise to remember (or re-read) the things that you wrote.

•  Actually they can be skipped, didn't know it myself until I started banging on the keyboard. Turned out it was backspace.

• @sorclord said:

Actually they can be skipped, didn't know it myself until I started banging on the keyboard. Turned out it was backspace.

You can tell which users are new to this forum by whether their post actually helps anyone.

• @blakeyrat said:

I didn't say "knobs are better than buttons", nor did I say "buttons are better than knobs". I made absolutely no value judgement relating to knobs what-so-ever, in fact.

I like my girl's buttons, but she prefers my knob.

• @blakeyrat said:

@CrisW said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    I would have loved to play the story (retarded as it was), but I couldn't HEAR IT.

Did you try turning your volume control clockwise?

No, because I have a TV made in this century. Again I ask: is anybody on this board NOT a geezer?

That aside, the main impediment to hearing the dialog wasn't the volume, it was the crazy "listening through a metal air vent" filters. When I said I couldn't hear it, what I really meant is that I couldn't make it out... and yet the game acts as if this particular piece of dialog was extremely important. (For one thing, you can't enter the next level until you go into the bathroom and listen to it.)

But let's assume volume, not clarity, was the issue. Let's also assume I'm not deaf. Let's also assume I'm in a place/situation where I can turn up the volume (for example, not in a room next to a sleeping roommate.) Let's also assume I'm in a quiet location with no competing sources of noise (for example, not in an Internet cafe, a company breakroom, or another public location with game consoles.) If you assume all of those things, then yes, turning up the volume might have helped. Might.

Now let me ask you a question: why are you defending that brain-dead retarded design decision? What's in it for you? Do you go around defending the shittiest thing about games because you love shitty games? You want more shitty games in the future? Or maybe you hate disabled people and want to see them deprived? That's my guess. But what's your real reason?

You use a TV with your computer for gaming? You're playing games on those shitty stereo speakers that are sort tacked on as an afterthought on most TV's. There's your problem! You want to get yourself a set of 7.1 Surround Sound speakers. You'll really hear the difference.

I want my games to work and I want them to have the latest updates and DLC packs. I like launchers. If I play WoW, then I want my game updated before I play. I don't want to launch the game, find out I've got the wrong version, find the game website, download a patch, and then install it to play my game, and then relaunch it.

• WTF people?  The game still needs subtitles! It doesn't matters how blakey hear his games.

Ohh, and adding to the budding audiophiles, multichannel audio tends to be crap, if you really want to hear the music the way it was intended to be (you might need a high quality audio source) buy some high quality studio monitors.

• @CrisW said:

I like launchers. If I play WoW, then I want my game updated before I play. I don't want to launch the game, find out I've got the wrong version, find the game website, download a patch, and then install it to play my game, and then relaunch it.

I'm probably just an old geezer, but when I play games, I generally prefer them not to connect to the internet at all, so I'm quite happy to not have launchers.

• @serguey123 said:

WTF people?  The game still needs subtitles! It doesn't matters how blakey hear his games.

Seriously! CrisW must work for Ubisoft and has a vested interest in defending their shit product, because I can't imagine ANY other reason anybody would defend that design "decision". It's not like I'm asking that they go waaay out of their way and delay a game for months to make sure one handicapped kid in one city can play it with the joystick in his mouth or something-- they already have the fucking game's script in a text file, JUST DISPLAY IT ON THE SCREEN, it's not fucking difficult, and it's the absolute BARE minimum of game accessibility. Fuck, if I had it my way, I'd demand they put a sticker on the box saying: "NOTICE: this game does not have subtitles". That is something that should require forewarning.

(Yes, even more minimum than "make sure colorblind people can play it." I used to actually rant about Bioshock 2 being impossible for color-blind people to play, until I was exposed to Assassin's Creed's retardedness-- at least Bioshock 2 had captioning! And good captioning, both dialog and important sound effects.)

To add insult to injury, all/most of the platforms it came out on, the game can be patched-- PC, Xbox 360, patching no problem-- so why didn't Ubisoft patch subtitles in when it became apparently their game was shit? Because they just didn't care.

• @blakeyrat said:

That aside, the main impediment to hearing the dialog wasn't the volume, it was the crazy "listening through a metal air vent" filters. When I said I couldn't hear it, what I really meant is that I couldn't make it out...
    For what it's worth, pretty much every TV I've seen recently has had god-awful default eq-ing which makes it hard/impossible to hear the dialogue in any scene with background noise. Set it to one of the 'music' presets and it usually sounds like it ought to by default and you can hear all the previously indistinct bits.

• @CrisW said:

You use a TV with your computer for gaming?
    No, he uses a TV with his XBox for gaming.

• @blakeyrat said:

"make sure colorblind people can play it."

Oblivion failed this, hard. It's difficult for red-green colourblind people to tell the difference between legal and illegal actions due to their choices of yellow or red icons, the only difference in RGB space being one has more green than the other. As it's one of the central things in the game, it's hard to believe it got out of the door in this state and was never officially patched. (though there are mods that turn one or the other blue)

• @henke37 said:

That last one looks like it could be the main menu of the game instead.

Funny you should say that. The main menu is completely black except for the giant game logo.

• @Yaos said:

@henke37 said:
    That last one looks like it could be the main menu of the game instead.

Funny you should say that. The main menu is completely black except for the giant game logo.

Yeah, someone should post a screenshot of that.

• @The_Assimilator said:

Whenever I encounter a game with a launcher, I do my damndest to find out what the actual EXE is that runs, and just create a Desktop shortcut to that instead.

The thing that pisses me off most about launchers, though, is that they represent an investment of time by a game's developers that could have been better spent improving the actual game.

sometimes they have legitimate reasons for the launchers - like, i dunno, making sure you're patched before connecting to the servers (mandatory).

also any developers who really care can easily block you from launching the game without going through the launcher.   windows execs can determine if they were launched by another process.

• @Kazan said:

developers who really care

Now you're just getting into hypotheticals.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@Kazan said:
    developers who really care

Now you're just getting into hypotheticals.

What hypotheticals? They do care: care to screw over their userbase, that is. Take Bethesda and the recent Skyrim patch, for instance