Usenet was created before the Internet

• Long time reader, first time poster - just couldn't resist:

http://www.usenext.de/index.cfm

btw, i missed FileNotFound - could someone be so kind as to point me to the post?

ta ( :

• @donazea said:

Long time reader, first time poster - just couldn't resist:

http://www.usenext.de/index.cfm

I think they meant "usenet was created before www", which is actually true.

btw, i missed FileNotFound - could someone be so kind as to point me to the post?

What Is Truth?

• Actually, Usenet has been around longer than the Internet. According to Wikipedia, Usenet came about in 1979, while "the first TCP/IP wide area network was operational by 1 January 1983".

Personally, I started using Usenet before I had an Internet connection, back in 1989 I believe. We used UUCP to to transfer the articles. People has also used tape to transfer articles from one site to another.

That said, the site that the original poster linked to is utterly ridiculous. Usenet has never been about file sharing, and besides, most ISP's are not carrying the *.binaries groups anymore.

• That's just an affiliate link, ain't it? SPAM!

• @nexus said:

That's just an affiliate link, ain't it? SPAM!

Removed the affiliate part of the link.

• What's with that site referring to usenet as "file sharing"? Unless
    it's changed since I last used it, it can be used for file publishing,
    but not sharing.

Or are any and all forms of providing information counted as "sharing"
    nowadays? I'm not writing a comment here, I'm "comment sharing". When I
    read a roadsign on the way to work, is it actually a form of "road
    safety information sharing?" Stupid marketing departments. :(

Anyway, that's still better than idiots referring to NGs as "sites", I
    guess anything is a reasonable descrtition. I remember the mirth at
    some fool repeatedly asking for us to unsubscibe him from the "site"
    and to stop spamming him or else he'd report us to AOL. Oh how I
    laughed.

• @RayS said:

I remember the mirth at
    some fool repeatedly asking for us to unsubscibe him from the "site"
    and to stop spamming him or else he'd report us to AOL. Oh how I
    laughed.

Wait... an AOLer who didn't understand what UseNet is?  I am shocked!

• @lokedhs said:

Actually, Usenet has been around longer than the Internet. According to Wikipedia, Usenet came about in 1979, while "the first TCP/IP wide area network was operational by 1 January 1983".

Personally, I started using Usenet before I had an Internet connection, back in 1989 I believe. We used UUCP to to transfer the articles. People has also used tape to transfer articles from one site to another.

That said, the site that the original poster linked to is utterly ridiculous. Usenet has never been about file sharing, and besides, most ISP's are not carrying the *.binaries groups anymore.

I agree, Usenet has been about information sharing and entertainment sharing.  However, you could use shar archives to share files, and those were posted to Usenet periodically.

• Yeah.... Quickpar pars & winrar binaries can be found all over the Usenet, as well requests for such apps or whatever to be posted on there can be made on IRC. So of course now days Usenet is used for sharing a lot  ;-)