YA 'CS is TRWTF' post

• CSWTF

That bright blue icon, IIUC, means "There are new posts in this thread since you last read it".

Somehow I find that unlikely in the circumstances.  Race condition?

• Yeah I get that occasionally too.  Right now at the top of my "unread threads" list is:

consultant woes
    							    <br></td>
    						    </tr>
    					    </tbody></table><p>

<a href="http://forums.thedailywtf.com/forums/p/25303/272458.aspx#272458">Last Post</a>
                                                by <a href="http://forums.thedailywtf.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=9707">belgariontheking</a>
                                                , Thu, Nov 17 2011 4:51 PM

</p><p>I guess the CSS of the site hides it, but now that I post it in here, it shows up as a visited link. &nbsp; <br></p><p>I'm pretty sure that's why that other popular BB software has a pause after the submit page loads before it takes you to your post.&nbsp; It's in a different place, but it's a race condition nonetheless. </p>

• @DaveK said:

That bright blue icon, IIUC, means "There are new posts in this thread since you last read it".

Somehow I find that unlikely in the circumstances. 

Depends how long you took to write your post. Perfectly possible for someone else (or multiple people) to post between when you load the page and when you finally submit the post.

• @MascarponeRun said:

@DaveK said:

Depends how long you took to write your post. Perfectly possible for someone else (or multiple people) to post between when you load the page and when you finally submit the post.

wouldn't submitting the post and displaying the thread count as reading these new inbetween posts?

• Dang, I was thinking the OP was so brave to complain about the popular tags....

• @MascarponeRun said:

@DaveK said:

No, because after you submit your post you are redirected back to the thread page, so you will see all those extra posts, followed by yours at the end.  If you're the last author, you must of necessity have seen all posts prior to yours.

•  After replying to a thread I often see it headed with "last post by Zemm" but scrolling to the bottom doesn't have it (yet).

• @Zemm said:

After replying to a thread I often see it headed with "last post by Zemm" but scrolling to the bottom doesn't have it (yet).

I get that a lot too; think CS may be a bit slow in updating the page's last-changed header.  Usually a Ctrl+F5 (forced refresh ignoring browser cache) does the trick.  Sometimes needs doing two or three times though, so sometimes it really is the database that's not been updated yet.

• @MascarponeRun said:

Depends how long you took to write your post.
    Or someone could have edited their post that was above yours.  Yours would show as the latest but it would be marked as "unread" because there was new content.

I doubt that happens as often as this bug appears though.

• I more often have the opposite problem, where the icon correctly says there is new content but the "last post by" hasn't updated yet.

TRWTF is that the first time I clicked on "Reply" to post this message, I got "Service Unavailable" and had to go waste time somewhere else for a few hours.

• @DaveK said:

@MascarponeRun said:

@DaveK said:

No, because after you submit your post you are redirected back to the thread page, so you will see all those extra posts, followed by yours at the end.  If you're the last author, you must of necessity have seen all posts prior to yours.

Not necessarily:

1. Thread has 48 posts when you click Reply.
    2. While you're typing, someone else submits a reply.
    3. You submit your reply, which becomes the 50th post, thus beginning a new page (assuming 50 posts per page).
    4. You're taken to the new page to see your post, but you haven't yet seen the one that was submitted while you were typing, because it's on a different page.

I highly doubt CS is smart enough to account for this possibility, but it's one possible explanation.

• @lolwtf said:

@DaveK said:

@MascarponeRun said:

@DaveK said:

Not necessarily:
    1) Thread has 48 posts when you click Reply.
    2) While you're typing, someone else submits a reply.
    3) You submit your reply, which becomes the 50th post, thus beginning a new page (assuming 50 posts per page).
    4) You're taken to the new page to see your post, but you haven't yet seen the one that was submitted while you were typing, because it's on a different page.

I highly doubt CS is smart enough to account for this possibility, but it's one possible explanation.

It's a possibility, but it's not a possible explanation for the screenshot I posted at the start of this thread.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

I more often have the opposite problem, where the icon correctly says there is new content but the "last post by" hasn't updated yet.

TRWTF is that the first time I clicked on "Reply" to post this message, I got "Service Unavailable" and had to go waste time somewhere else for a few hours.

You mean an actual HTTP 503?  I've been getting a hell of a lot of "Connection was reset by server while page was loading" errors over the past few days.  Wonder if it could be related.