Argumentative

• @serguey123 said:

Good ones as well, a second version of Full Metal Alchemist was made later on that was closer to the manga.  Ohh, of course, if you don't know japanese and dislike reading then dubbing might be for you.  The thing is that sometimes some stuff get lost during translation, <blink>learning japanese is not that hard</blink> anyways and some animes and games never get translated to your native language and that is another advantage.

Sorry Davek, sometimes is hard for me to judge other humans, I was trying to be fair to Shirow and putting him on the class of anime he fits (a sennen)  and not all of them but of course that is my opinion alone, you can compare him to whoever you want

FUN GAME FOR TODAY spot the blatant lie in the above-quoted text!

• @blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:

@blakeyrat said:

Fortunately, DS9 and Voyager dropped all that "utopia" shit after Roddenberry was in the ground.

I think you'll find that Roddenberry is probably still not yet actually "in the ground"...

Congratulations, you found a whole new way to be a pedantic dickweed.

And what do you call someone who ignores the entire point of the post and picks up on a single throw-away line?  If you don't recognize that describing someone whose ashes were shot
    into space as "in the ground" is funny, the lack of a sense of humour
    is all your problem.

Good grief, I can't even agree with you on something without you being a whiney ragebag about it.

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:

Good ones as well, a second version of Full Metal Alchemist was made later on that was closer to the manga.  Ohh, of course, if you don't know japanese and dislike reading then dubbing might be for you.  The thing is that sometimes some stuff get lost during translation, learning japanese is not that hard anyways and some animes and games never get translated to your native language and that is another advantage.

Sorry Davek, sometimes is hard for me to judge other humans, I was trying to be fair to Shirow and putting him on the class of anime he fits (a sennen)  and not all of them but of course that is my opinion alone, you can compare him to whoever you want

FUN GAME FOR TODAY spot the blatant lie in the above-quoted text!

Have you tried?  korean and chinese are way harder than japanese.  Look, I have a tendency to overevaluate the capacity of humans (one of my biggest flaws) but I still believe that any person can learn 3 or 4 languages if they apply themselves.  Fuck I never studied any language and I speak several of them fine (maybe not great but fine) so if I can do it with not everybody else? They might need to study a bit, but knowing several languages is not imposible or black magic.

• @DaveK said:

If you don't recognize that describing someone whose ashes were shot
    into space as "in the ground" is funny, the lack of a sense of humour
    is all your problem.

You have to play the odds:

Chances you were making an extremely lame Seltzer&Friedman-esque joke: 5%

Chances you're a pedantic dickweed who doesn't understand the concept of "metaphor": 95%

If you weren't being a pedantic dickweed, then I apologize.

@serguey123 said:

Have you tried?

No.

How long did it take you to lose that Best Korean accent so you could slip into the south and buy software for Dear Leader?

@serguey123 said:

Filed under: O͠͠͠͠f course in my house was common to speak several languages as my father and mother spoke 4 or 5 languages

Well I apologize for not being one of the Royal Tenenbaums, you gigantic douchenozzle.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:
    Filed under: O͠͠͠͠f course in my house was common to speak several languages as my father and mother spoke 4 or 5 languages

Well I apologize for not being one of the Royal Tenenbaums, you gigantic douchenozzle.

Don't apologize, you're American. Everyone else is supposed to learn to speak your language.

• @blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:
    If you don't recognize that describing someone whose ashes were shot into space as "in the ground" is funny, the lack of a sense of humour is all your problem.

You have to play the odds:

What you're doing here is not "playing the odds", it is "begging the question", since your premises were crafted solely to lead to the conclusion that you wanted to reach. 

@blakeyrat said:

Chances you were making an extremely lame Seltzer&Friedman-esque joke: 5%

Chances you're a pedantic dickweed who doesn't understand the concept of "metaphor": 95%

Chances your procedure for reaching those odds involved assuming everyone else is like you: 100% 

@blakeyrat said:

If you weren't being a pedantic dickweed, then I apologize.

Accepted, now can we get back to the main topic of this thread which was "How bloody awful all those kids in TNG were"?

• @blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:
    Have you tried?
    No.

So how do you know that is hard? Telepathy?

@blakeyrat said:

How long did it take you to lose that Best Korean accent so you could slip into the south and buy software for Dear Leader?

Now I will have to execute you for knowing our evil plan

@blakeyrat said:

@serguey123 said:

Never watched the show.  Look, my father was a career diplomat, so knowing several languages was part of his trade and my mother was a proud person that demanded that we  learned the language of my country, the language of my ancester and the language that was imposed on my ancester.  At least she was not my grandmother that refused to learn corruptsylvanian all her life.  But my point still stand, a lot of the person in this forum know more than one language, if they can why can't you?

• @serguey123 said:

But my point still stand, a lot of the person in this forum know more than one language, if they can why can't you?

Assembler, Pascal, BASIC, C, C++, C#, Java, Perl, TCL, SQL, sh/ksh/bash ... others at need.

• @zelmak said:

@serguey123 said:

But my point still stand, a lot of the person in this forum know more than one language, if they can why can't you?

Assembler, Pascal, BASIC, C, C++, C#, Java, Perl, TCL, SQL, sh/ksh/bash ... others at need.

PHP, SQL, Javascript, Bash, Java, C++, BASIC (Sorted by best-known to least-known; > 0)

At one point I did legitimately know Russian; I could both read and write it.

• @dohpaz42 said:

@zelmak said:

@serguey123 said:

PHP, SQL, Javascript, Bash, Java, C++, BASIC (Sorted by best-known to least-known; > 0)

At one point I did legitimately know Russian; I could both read and write it.

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."

• @blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:

@blakeyrat said:

Fortunately, DS9 and Voyager dropped all that "utopia" shit after Roddenberry was in the ground.

I think you'll find that Roddenberry is probably still not yet actually "in the ground"...

Congratulations, you found a whole new way to be a pedantic dickweed.

thedailywtf: home of advanced research in pedantic dickweedery!

• @AquaDuck said:

Cave Johnson here: as you all know Pedantic Dickweedery is often frowned upon by blakeyrat. I say neigh to that! If it weren't for Pedantic Dickweedery we wouldn't have science. And without science, we wouldn't have Computer Science. That is all.

• @dohpaz42 said:

@AquaDuck said:

Cave Johnson here: as you all know Pedantic Dickweedery is often frowned upon by blakeyrat. I say neigh nay to that! If it weren't for Pedantic Dickweedery we wouldn't have science. And without science, we wouldn't have Computer Science. That is all.

FTFY.

• @serguey123 said:

Never watched the show.  Look, my father was a career diplomat, so knowing several languages was part of his trade and my mother was a proud person that demanded that we  learned the language of my country, the language of my ancester and the language that was imposed on my ancester.  At least she was not my grandmother that refused to learn corruptsylvanian all her life.  But my point still stand, a lot of the person in this forum know more than one language, if they can why can't you?

Your scope's too big.  The language of my ancestors, at least all of them that were alive at any point in during my life, is the language I speak now.  Simple and I could understand them at any point in my life.  But, that said, why does everyone assume all Americans are monolingual?  We're a country of two languages, like it or not.  And quite a few Americans speak at least a passable amount of Spanish.  Or, well, "Mexican" if it's different from "Spanish" in the same way that "American" is different from "English."  Whatever.

Hell, there's a lot of us that consider English as spoken by those from the north east portion of the country as distinct from that spoken by the folks from south of the Mason-Dixon line.  IMO, it's only a dialect if most of the words are in common, and sometimes I wonder... I don't know how many times I have had to explain to these poor northern kids up here that "Y'all" aint' properly and fully plural, it's only partially plural.  The fully pluralized version of "Y'all" is "All Y'all."

• @dohpaz42 said:

@AquaDuck said:

Cave Johnson here: as you all know Pedantic Dickweedery is often frowned upon by blakeyrat. I say neigh nay to that! If it weren't for Pedantic Dickweedery we wouldn't have science. And without science, we wouldn't have Computer Science. That is all.

In keeping with the spirit of pedantic dickweedery, FTFY.  

• @mahlerrd said:

I don't know how many times I have had to explain to these poor northern kids up here that Southerners can't talk

FTFY

• @Someone You Know said:

@dohpaz42 said:

@AquaDuck said:

FTFY.

Fuck, I missed.  :(

• @mahlerrd said:

Hell, there's a lot of us that consider English as spoken by those from the north east portion of the country as distinct from that spoken by the folks from south of the Mason-Dixon line.  IMO, it's only a dialect if most of the words are in common, and sometimes I wonder... I don't know how many times I have had to explain to these poor northern kids up here that "Y'all" aint' properly and fully plural, it's only partially plural.  The fully pluralized version of "Y'all" is "All Y'all."

About 15 years ago there was a (mostly) serious debate over whether Ebonics/Jive/whatever is a distinct language.

• @blakeyrat said:

About 15 years ago there was a (mostly) serious debate over whether Ebonics/Jive/whatever is a distinct language.

I remember that era and indeed, many of those particular discussions.  Did they ever decide?  (My guess is that they did decide, and the verdict was... No?)

• @AquaDuck said:

I just checked and Google's top 9 hits for "pedantic dickweedery" areright here at thedailywtf.  So, while I'm not sure it is indeed the "home of advanced research in pedantic dickweedery," it certainly is "the largest and most popular repository of pedantic dickweedery."

• @mahlerrd said:

@AquaDuck said:

I just checked and Google's top 9 hits for "pedantic dickweedery" areright here at thedailywtf. So, while I'm not sure it is indeed the "home of advanced research in pedantic dickweedery," it certainly is "the largest and most popular repository of pedantic dickweedery."

I performed the obvious experiment to clarify. Searching for "advanced pedantic dickweedery" (without the quotes) revealed one hit on a Minecraft forum, a couple of hits on Userscripts.org in relation to the "TDWTF Tag Auto Select" script, and a few pages of TDWTF forums. So I'd have to agree with AquaDuck.

• I would like to clarify for future generations studying this thread in the far future on the super-Internet that we here in the 21st century thought pedantic dickweedery was a bad thing.

• @mahlerrd said:

the largest and most popular repository of pedantic dickweedery

• @El_Heffe said:

@mahlerrd said:

the largest and most popular repository of advanced pedantic dickweedery

Fixed that for myself...

To future internets: we don't all agree with Blakeyrat.  I prefer to think of advanced pedantic dickweedery as "helping others to not be wrong."  We wouldn't want to mislead you future people into thinking we condoned people being incorrect.