Total 60

Config Files Per Server
    -----------------------
    Main App 8
    Aux App 1 8
    Aux App 2 8
    Aux App 3 8
    Total: 32

For the math-challenged, that's 1920 configuration files.

I suggested that perhaps we should put it all in the db, so that if we need to rename a server (as we did recently), or an IP or port has to change, we don't need to do a massive search and destroy on nearly 2,000 config files.

The response: Nah, the app needs to be configurable; it's ok, we've been doing it like this for years.

•  Looking after 1920 config files? Now that's what I call job security! And after I've written my little shell script, it's five mins of work every so often, and the rest of the time looking busy and collecting a salary for nothing. [Practices furrowed brow and doom-laden speech-to-boss "we could change things, but the world would come to a end 30 seconds later"]

• Question: How many configuration items (key/value pairs)?

• @zelmak said:

Question: How many configuration items (key/value pairs)?

All told, each set has about about 150 items, most sets having the same or similar values (e.g.: defaults in the program would make a lot more sense than brute force specifying everything everywhere).

• We use Amazon SimpleDB for this. Our system isn't nearly as big though...

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.