If it's too long, don't mention it

• //12/12/07 : shouldn't be > 2
    if( DR["birth_state"].ToString().Length > 2 )
        Writer.Write( "  " ); // 2 char
    else
        Writer.Write(DR["birth_state"].ToString());

If only .Net framework had, say, a method which allow to get a "substring"... fuck. It's like that everywhere.

•  Maybe the programmer didn't like Australians?

• @havokk said:

Maybe the programmer didn't like Australians?

Our states are TRWTF. Only 6 states and we need 3 letter abbreviations!

• I sure hope you don't decide to go with that substring method...

ALaska

ALabama

ARkansas

ARizona

COlorado

COnnecticut

MAine

MAryland

MAssachusetts

MIchigan

MInnesota

MIssissippi

MIssouri

NEbraska

NEvada

NEw Hampshire

NEw Jersey

NEw Mexico

NEw York

NOrth Carolina

NOrth Dakota

SOuth Carolina

SOuth Dakota

TEnnessee

TExas

We just lost a whole lot of clarity in the mail system.

• Sure, but it's for a french system. We use numbers (with exceptions) to classify "states"; but we have more than 99... and our administration can't always handle three numbered states. That's why whe must reduce to 2 characters.

• @gobes said:

Sure, but it's for a french system. We use numbers (with exceptions) to classify "states"; but we have more than 99... and our administration can't always handle three numbered states. That's why whe must reduce to 2 characters.

...wait.  The entirety of France could fit into Texas, and you've got it divided up into more than twice as many states as we have?

• @Mason Wheeler said:

@gobes said:

Sure, but it's for a french system. We use numbers (with exceptions) to classify "states"; but we have more than 99... and our administration can't always handle three numbered states. That's why whe must reduce to 2 characters.

...wait.  The entirety of France could fit into Texas, and you've got it divided up into more than twice as many states as we have?

That works.  They've got more than twice the population you have.

[Edit: If by 'we' you mean Texas .... which I guess you probably don't. ]

• Holy cow, I just went and looked it up.  France has 22 regions, divided up into 96 departments, divided up into 342 arondissements, divided up into 3,883 cantons, divided up into 36,569 communes. 

Clearly, this scheme was devised by an enterprise architect.

• ♿ (Parody)

@DaveK said:

Holy cow, I just went and looked it up.  France has 22 regions, divided up into 96 departments, divided up into 342 arondissements, divided up into 3,883 cantons, divided up into 36,569 communes. 

Clearly, this scheme was devised by an enterprise architect.

From wikipedia: The département numbers were assigned alphabetically at the time of the French Revolution, but some later changes (such as renaming and splitting of départements) mean that the list is not completely in alphabetical order anymore.

But really, the 2 digit thing is just the department code, which is only part of the entire code, which is basically analogous to ZIP codes in the US, which use the first 3 digits in a similar way, even though nobody really knows or cares about that outside of the USPS itself.

The longer 3 digit codes seem to be overseas territories, so probably not a huge loss.

• @DaveK said:

divided up into 36,569 communes.

That's a lot of Kool-aid.

• @UrzaMTG said:

I sure hope you don't decide to go with that substring method...

Um … am I missing something? Looks to me like any string longer than 2 chars. gets replaced by two spaces (not a substring at all)?

• @gobes said:

... DR["birth_state"] ...
    Late bound column references in business logic... that's one of my pet peeves.