Database id issuess

• Hey there,

Like to share with you all about something that frustrates me @work. The company where i work bought 1 year ago a new application with database behind where you keep all the call information. since i try to pull out information it's frustrates me every time what i see, cause it sucks.

example: there is a table where every record has own id. good until now. but has also another id where the front end is linked.
    Like this:

ID1 | ID2 | Name;
    1 | 34 | Apple;
    2 | 56 | Yellow;

Every time when there is a being a change like a dropdown item it puts all exist id into new ones. But cause the ID2 is not unique the table looks like this:

ID1 | ID2 | Name;
    1 | 34 | Apple;
    2 | 56 | Yellow;
    3 | 45 | Apple;
    4 | 45 | Orange;

I want to change the table but then the guarantee will fall cause the company who build this does not want that others going the change what they build. that is actually not a problem if they did it right. When we asked if they can change this they asked more money.....wtf ????

oh btw my english is not that good, so sorry if i wrote wrong :)

Mod: formatting for extra++ bonus communicative value –dh.

• @PsychoMom said:

Hey there,</P

Like to share with you all about something that frustrates me @work.
    The company where i work bought 1 year ago a new application with database behind where you keep all the call information.
    since i try to pull out information it's frustrates me every time what i see, cause it sucks<>/P>

example: there is a table where every record has own id. good until now. but has also another id where the front end is linked.
    Like this:
    ID1 | ID2 | Name;
    1 | 34 | Apple;
    2 | 56 | Yellow;

Every time when there is a being a change like a dropdown item it puts all exist id into new ones. But cause the ID2 is not unique the table looks like this:
    ID1 | ID2 | Name;
    1 | 34 | Apple;
    2 | 56 | Yellow;
    3 | 45 | Apple;
    4 | 45 | Orange;

I want to change the table but then the guarantee will fall cause the company who build this does not want that others going the change what they build. that is actually not a problem if they did it right. When we asked if they can change this they asked more money.....wtf ????

oh btw my english is not that good, so sorry if i wrote wrong :)

• ty pnieuwkamp this is more readable

•  The amount of Dutchies/Belgians on this forum is staggering.

*staggers*

• is it?

•  Is it some kind of insane versioning system?

• no no it is not. it is a relational database who is not relational database.
    instead of making separate tables they put all in one table.

• @dhromed said:

The amount of Dutchies/Belgians on this forum is staggering.

*staggers*

Indeed, we should hace our own hoekje...

• ♿ (Parody)

So is ID2 used to group the items for different dropdowns or something? So basically, they would have a table where they put everything that would go into a drop down, then assign a dropdown an ID, therefore making it "easy" to load the items for that dropdown? Because that would be genious.

• hmmm i think i have to write more so i can make the problem more clearly.

The front end is an webbased application. there is a regular user client and admin client.
    regular user must select some items/dropdown menu's and writes some information about the call is made.
    admin can put items into dropdown or make new dropdown menu's on the screens that the regular user must select.

After admin put it some changes and saves , it starts a scripting where he does something like this ObjectNumber + 1.
    and it puts into the table but also changes the html code.like this:

option value="" Maak een keuze /option

option value="211">Algemeen /option

option value="173">Betalingen /option

option value="212">Debiteuren /option

changes to

option value="" Maak een keuze /option

option value="212">Algemeen /option

option value="174">Betalingen /option

option value="213">Debiteuren /option

as you can see the second time 212 means something else then the first time.

All data that the regular user choose go's to one table. Like this:

CallId | SubjectID | SubjectTypeID ....and go on.

When i want to make queries who shows me like example how many calls was about lets say subject "algemeen".
    I need the table where the calls are and the table where the dropdown items with id's.

In this case i am always getting double values. ...

I hope it is now more clear boomzilla. if it is not just ask me again and will try to write more details. After all it is a good exercise for my bad communication skills :P

• ♿ (Parody)

@PsychoMom said:

After admin put it some changes and saves , it starts a scripting where he does something like this ObjectNumber + 1.
    and it puts into the table but also changes the html code.like this:

So...it's like some sort of versioning or something? Or maybe just a WTF based on the kooky roll your own CMS.

• @PsychoMom said:

is it?

Yes, but before you get too excited, one is staggering.

• @boomzilla said:

So...it's like some sort of versioning or something? Or maybe just a WTF based on the kooky roll your own CMS.

lol i am not that smart to make my own cms. If it was my own i would be rich now, cause that stupid thing costed a lot

• @blakeyrat said:

Is that good or bad?

• @PsychoMom said:

@blakeyrat said:

Is that good or bad?

I like the Dutch because they speak my language.

• @dhromed said:

I like the Dutch because they speak my language.

When you're a techie, hardly anyone speaks your language, be it Dutch or otherwise...

•  AJBWIBEIDHW.

• @dhromed said:

AJBWIBEIDHW.

ori'gato udossa keffal ka dos kampi'un nindol uss