Spamming getting weird



  • Ok, I don't check some of my alternate accounts very often but checking the spam folder I found this


    If wearing one's heart on one's sleeve is=
    en vogue, then I am the most fashionable person around. I want to let you =
    understand how I feel so I'm giving you this eCard. <a href=3D"http://t.co/=
    6LR4oSf0">Your free eCard is waiting Here!</a><br>
    And embedded in the html but not shown in the normal text
    "Come, my friends, we have work to do.  Goodnight."<br>
    <br>
    PEGEEN [in a lower voice, moved by his tone.] I'd be nice so, is it? =
    I remembered how quiet he had been just before he attacked me<br>
    <br>
    there may be other things to think of some time, if not now.<br>

    Ohh, and that is not the only one... 
    on his shoulder, and then walked quietly out of the room.
    

    MICHAEL [with a rope.] Look at the way he is. Twist a hangman's knot=
    on and sore distress, and sad hearts. Look! Look!" he cried suddenly.

    Scene: Morning-room at the Manor House.

    And...
    they did before.  But one day, I took a thick cudgel, and threw

    the dapple-gray, and the black; nor born with equal talents of He will now =
    come on to Bukovina, and return tomorrow or the next day,

    the spirits of those lost at sea were touching their living

     

    WTF?



  • Sounds like stuff for fooling spam filters. It actually makes sense to try to hide that junk from the recipient, but allowing the filter to see it, assuming that it does.



  • @boomzilla said:

    Sounds like stuff for fooling spam filters. It actually makes sense to try to hide that junk from the recipient, but allowing the filter to see it, assuming that it does.

    It doesn't work well if that is the reason as they were marked as spam anyways.  However I'm more interested in the text excerpt they used.



  • @serguey123 said:

    @boomzilla said:
    Sounds like stuff for fooling spam filters. It actually makes sense to try to hide that junk from the recipient, but allowing the filter to see it, assuming that it does.

    It doesn't work well if that is the reason as they were marked as spam anyways.  However I'm more interested in the text excerpt they used.

    Yeah, obviously it failed. I presume they just tried some random text from somewhere, maybe mixed or completely generated from a stochastic text generator.



  •  Looks like the exceprt is largely from an old Irish play called "Playboy of the Western World" 


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @serguey123 said:

    Ok, I don't check some of my alternate accounts very often but checking the spam folder I found this
    Two of these actually landed in my actual inbox. I was highly amused.



  • @Weng said:

    @serguey123 said:

    Ok, I don't check some of my alternate accounts very often but checking the spam folder I found this
    Two of these actually landed in my actual inbox. I was highly amused.

    It is really interesting the ammount of spam I get from different email providers.  It goes like this: gmx>gmail>company email (in the two years working here I got 2 spam emails)

    But neither gmx nor gmail are fooled by this email.  What provider are you using?





  • @serguey123 said:

    It is really interesting the ammount of spam I get from different email providers. It goes like this: gmx>gmail>company email (in the two years working here I got 2 spam emails)

    To the best of my recollection I've never had a spam email get through from my current ISP or from gmail. The only place I get them is at work, where every now and then a couple will slip through the filters. I tried reporting one once, but the guys on that team said the filters were provided by Microsoft and there was nothing they could do about it. So I've gone back to simply deleting the few that show up.

    On the other hand my previous ISP didn't do spam filtering and around 90% of the email I got at that address was spam.



  • @Scarlet Manuka said:

    @serguey123 said:
    It is really interesting the ammount of spam I get from different email providers. It goes like this: gmx>gmail>company email (in the two years working here I got 2 spam emails)
    To the best of my recollection I've never had a spam email get through from my current ISP or from gmail. The only place I get them is at work, where every now and then a couple will slip through the filters. I tried reporting one once, but the guys on that team said the filters were provided by Microsoft and there was nothing they could do about it. So I've gone back to simply deleting the few that show up.

    On the other hand my previous ISP didn't do spam filtering and around 90% of the email I got at that address was spam.

    Oh, they are marked as spam almost always in all of my mailboxes, even the gmx address that I have for the express purpose of getting spam.  I was merely commenting on the ammount of spam I was getting from different mailboxes.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.