Sony Camcorder DVD

• My cousin sent us one DVD of his son playing in swiming pool. My parents want to see DVD. I want to know how to use it, since my windows 7 desktop will not read it.

recording made using sony camcorder. went to sony website, but not able to find much useful information on it. any one here know how?

• 🚽 Regular

Might it be some kind of region code issue? If your cousins are from another country or something or if the DVD burning software was configured for a different region code, it might prevent your DVD player from playing it. AFAIK, a DVD player's ability to play a disk from another region is purely "business logic" and has nothing to do with codecs or anything like that.

• @RHuckster said:

Might it be some kind of region code issue? If your cousins are from another country or something or if the DVD burning software was configured for a different region code, it might prevent your DVD player from playing it. AFAIK, a DVD player's ability to play a disk from another region is purely "business logic" and has nothing to do with codecs or anything like that.

he record using sony camcorder direct to dvd and sent us that dvd. i pop dvd in windows 7 machine and it not reading files in explorer, yet drive shows fuly utilised at 100% capcity.

• 🚽 Regular

Did you try just playing the DVD in Windows Media Player as if it were a regular DVD instead of looking in the file explorer? If that doesn't work, I don't know what to say. It's possible the disk is corrupted or scratched or something.

• @RHuckster said:

Did you try just playing the DVD in Windows Media Player as if it were a regular DVD instead of looking in the file explorer? If that doesn't work, I don't know what to say. It's possible the disk is corrupted or scratched or something.

Do you know if Sony compeny using special software to create disks like this? It not playing in any player i have. someone sugest download VLC player, but disk no playing in that also.

Now my only hop is to find if sony make special software that not permit windows 7 to read disks.

• 🚽 Regular

I wouldn't put it past Sony to make movies created by a camcorder to require some proprietary software to show, but it's unlikely they'd go as far as to not allow you to even see the contents of the DVD.

• @Nagesh said:

My cousin sent us one DVD of his son playing in swiming pool. My parents want to see DVD. I want to know how to use it, since my windows 7 desktop will not read it.

recording made using sony camcorder. went to sony website, but not able to find much useful information on it. any one here know how?

@MascarponeRun said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#DVD_disc

From the wikipedia article:
    • DVDs have to be "finalized" to be played back on set-top players

I think this is the problem.  I have a stand-alone DVD recorder that I bought several years ago.  When I record something the disc with play fine in that unit, but will not play in any other DVD player until I "finalize" the disk.  It appears that your cousin recorded the DVD in the camcorder but did not not "finalize" before he sent it to you.