16 year old CVS repo

• I'm in the process of converting a CVS repo into a few GIT repos. The first checkin was the beginning of 1995, around 7 years after the company I worked for started. Amazingly, I've only had 5 corrupted ,v files. Good on you CVS! But, bad on you for letting the far-too-clever devs do what they did. I know it's not your fault.

Of course, now I start the job of sorting out the junk from the gems. I would estimate around 20% of all the modules are in production, and of the 20%, probably only 60% has been committed. I'm going to dig through this properly and post up some WTFs.

(P.S. I do not care that you prefer something else over Git. I am going to play with Mercurial and a few others.)

• From the responces from user base, look like as many peepul interested in this as in my Anna Hazare thread.

Good luck on project! Be careful in case you mess up and have to go look for new job or something.

• I am going to mess it up. I have already messed it up to get it to convert. Fortunately, most of the devs keep a backup of production releases on their machines. And when I say backup, I mean the only copy.

• @spxza said:

I am going to mess it up. I have already messed it up to get it to convert. Fortunately, most of the devs keep a backup of production releases on their machines. And when I say backup, I mean the only copy.

So bad practises are rampent in your workplace?