ASP.NET 2.0 Web Site Administration Tool

• I noticed this software does not work very well on my machine, so I decided to take a look at the code. It is written by Microsoft in ASP.NET and targets ASP.NET, you'd expect it to be good code. Here's some examples (you can find the code in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles):

<font face="Courier New">private bool IsTestable(string providerName) {
        if (providerName.Contains("Sql")) {
            return true;
        } else {
            return false;
        }
    }</font>

And:

<font face="Courier New"><script runat="server" language="cs"></font>

instead of

<font face="Courier New"><%@ page language="C#"></font>

The first one is not correct, the second would have enabled code highlighting for the script block in Visual Studio.

Also:
    <font face="Courier New">
    <tr height="1%">
        <td>
            &nbsp;
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="1%">
        <td>
            &nbsp;
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="1%">
        <td>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="1%">
        <td>
            &nbsp;
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="1%">
        <td>
        </td>
    </tr>
    <tr height="93%">
        <td>
            &nbsp;
        </td>
    </tr></font>

That last one shows me that even in 2005 Microsoft still doesn't understand basic HTML and CSS. There's probably more small/medium WTF's in the code, haven't bothered to look at it more than this.

• I especially hate if(condition){ return true; } else { return false; } stuff, something about redundancy and stuff.

as for the html, it looks like microsoft was using it's own tools and used frontpage to write the HTML part.

• Wel the first function looks at a string, if it contains "sql" it can test something. But the thing it tests is in no way related to name you give it. So if you decide to name it "Whatever", a test might work, but you won't be able to test anything, since the name you chose doesn't contain "sql".