McGurk Effect




  • Cool video demonstrating how what you see changes what you hear.

    I originally found this here.



  • All I can hear is THIS STUPID VOICE OVER OBSCURING WHAT I'M TRYING TO LISTEN TO. So annoying.

    To be honest, I only got a faint touch of the illusion anyway. After about the second word with the wrong picture I was just hearing "bar" anyway.

    I suppose this could be related to the fact that I've never been able to lip-read even a tiny bit.



  • @Scarlet Manuka said:

    To be honest, I only got a faint touch of the illusion anyway.

    Dito. I had to concentrate on the visuals and try to convince myself that I'm not hearing the same thing as before to hear it. Maybe it works better if you haven't heard the exact same audio 2 seconds ago with the correct visuals. Mind = not really blown.



  • @derula said:

    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    To be honest, I only got a faint touch of the illusion anyway.

    Dito. I had to concentrate on the visuals and try to convince myself that I'm not hearing the same thing as before to hear it. Maybe it works better if you haven't heard the exact same audio 2 seconds ago with the correct visuals. Mind = not really blown.

    Interesting. I could hear the actual sound when I looked away, but while watching, the effect was obvious to me. I could concentrate, and sort of overcome the effect when I knew what was going on.



  • @boomzilla said:

    @derula said:
    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    To be honest, I only got a faint touch of the illusion anyway.

    Dito. I had to concentrate on the visuals and try to convince myself that I'm not hearing the same thing as before to hear it. Maybe it works better if you haven't heard the exact same audio 2 seconds ago with the correct visuals. Mind = not really blown.

    Interesting. I could hear the actual sound when I looked away, but while watching, the effect was obvious to me. I could concentrate, and sort of overcome the effect when I knew what was going on.

    Maybe I exaggerated a little, but it definitely wasn't as strong for me as you described here.




Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.