Bug report

• For some time now I've been using the phrase "seems I spend every waking hour finding bugs in other people's programs and reporting them" to describe my life.  No, I'm not in QA, it is mostly supposedly production quality code.  Even when I try to take a break and play a game lately it usually ends in a bug report.  Just in the past week I sent in a bug report for Family Feud on Facebook (somehow they asked 100 people a Fast Money question and got something like 300 answers) and another for Zynga Poker on Facebook (it seems to start having problem after you end up with a fractional chip count (if a pot splits 3 ways for example you can end up with .33 chips)).

Last night I was playing a new game.  Kind of an underwater Starcraft.  An alien observer drone type thing was in my base and my frogman killed it just before I completed the level.  When the drone died it did the standard alien dying thing in this game, turned into a skeleton and started to settle to the bottom.  When I completed the level the computer took control of my frogman to swim him off screen (kind of like Mario after he grabs the flagpole).  By happenstance the falling skeleton crossed paths with my frogman and he swim inside it.  This apparently confused the game because it put up a flashing error message and froze.  As I'm sitting there trying to figure out the best way to take a screen shot to submit the bug report, I woke up.

I guess I need to remove the word "waking" from the description of my life.  Even my dreams have bugs, and I still want to report them.

end bug report

• There are these things called "women"...  You should go and buy one.

• @C-Octothorpe said:

There are these things called "women"...  You should go and buy one.

Man, I can imagine the bug reports that would ensue THIS! +1

• @C-Octothorpe said:

There are these things called "women"... .

I have been hearing about this since decades ago... never encountered any proof so far

• @serguey123 said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

I have been hearing about this since decades ago... never encountered any proof so far

From what I've heard, it often helps to leave your basement...  :)

• @C-Octothorpe said:

@serguey123 said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

I have been hearing about this since decades ago... never encountered any proof so far that there is something else besides my basement

• @serguey123 said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

@serguey123 said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

I have been hearing about this since decades ago... never encountered any proof so far that there is something else besides my basement

Agreed.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

It's OK though, because there's no proof that you have a basement.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

I exist, therefore I have a basement

• @Pascal said:

Even my dreams have bugs, and I still want to report them.

My new sig.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

Nothing definitive on that front, either.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:

Nothing definitive on that front, either.

Agreed, however existance of self is autogenerated code so... it can't be argued

• @C-Octothorpe said:

But do women actually exist? Croooow presents the compelling evidence!

• So you're filing a bug report on yourself?

• @C-Octothorpe said:

Nope, don't go near whatever you do. Their software is seriously fucked up. And debugging is a nightmare. Although you'd be used to it, you're already having debugging nightmares.

Hey, I know a few women, fancy debugging them?

• @Matt Westwood said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

Nope, don't go near whatever you do. Their software is seriously fucked up. And debugging is a nightmare. Although you'd be used to it, you're already having debugging nightmares.
    Hey, I know a few women, fancy debugging them?
    Yeah, not to mention they require constant hardware upgrades, and their license agreement is per-user.

• @Pascal said:

Last night I was playing a new game. Kind of an underwater Starcraft. An alien observer drone type thing was in my base and my frogman killed it just before I completed the level. When the drone died it did the standard alien dying thing in this game, turned into a skeleton and started to settle to the bottom. When I completed the level the computer took control of my frogman to swim him off screen (kind of like Mario after he grabs the flagpole). By happenstance the falling skeleton crossed paths with my frogman and he swim inside it. This apparently confused the game because it put up a flashing error message and froze. As I'm sitting there trying to figure out the best way to take a screen shot to submit the bug report, I woke up.

.... Now I want this game. Maybe after a patch or two is released.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@Pascal said:
    Last night I was playing a new game. Kind of an underwater Starcraft. An alien observer drone type thing was in my base and my frogman killed it just before I completed the level. When the drone died it did the standard alien dying thing in this game, turned into a skeleton and started to settle to the bottom. When I completed the level the computer took control of my frogman to swim him off screen (kind of like Mario after he grabs the flagpole). By happenstance the falling skeleton crossed paths with my frogman and he swim inside it. This apparently confused the game because it put up a flashing error message and froze. As I'm sitting there trying to figure out the best way to take a screen shot to submit the bug report, I woke up.

sounds like you want ufo:afterlight ...

it's buggy as hell and has alien observer drones

• @Nelle said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:
    @Pascal said:

Or X-COM: Terror From The Deep, which is underwater.

• @Someone You Know said:

@Nelle said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:
    @Pascal said:

No, that one has no skeletons and no end of stage animations.

Also, about leaving your underground settlement to search for women is not possible without approval from the overseer. But beware, the world outside is scorching and full of zombies.

• @C-Octothorpe said:

Per your suggestion I attempted to reproduce the problem using a "women" last night.  My budget being fairly constrained at the moment I utilized an unregistered shareware version.  Though she refused to wear my dirty underwear, we reproduced the environment as near as possible, including same bed, sheets, and type of pillow.  She reported she was unable to reproduce the problem.  At this point I believe the problem is likely located in wetware, mine being approximately ten years older than hers.  Having attempted to locate a wetware upgrade before, I do not expect to be able to get one any time soon.

@frits said:

So you're filing a bug report on yourself?
    Congratulations, you got the joke!

• @Someone You Know said:

@Nelle said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:
    That one I have. Thanks for the reminder, though, it's probably about time I played through it again.
    @Renan said:
    No, that one has no skeletons and no end of stage animations.
    True, it just has alien corpses... the lobster men have exoskeletons, though; does that count? Always a bitch to deal with until you get the molecular control thing sorted out. Still, for sheer blowing-the-mission-to-hell power, nothing beats the Tentaculats.