Household window WTF

• Not that I'm complaining, but a year or so ago, this forum ("Side Bar") used to be about WTFs that were less ITish and more everything else. So here's a good one:

The other day on Coding Horror, Jeff complained about ridiculous stickers on laptops that are difficult to remove. Nevermind little stickers on laptops: I just moved into a new apartment, and the landlords apparently did a little renovation before we moved in--painting, new weather-secure windows, cleaning the floors, etc. Well, the windows are great except for one little feature. The manufacturer included a sticker on each one that tells you how special it is, and this sticker cannot be removed in one piece! I'm going to have to get a dish scraper and scrub them off with soap. [*counts in head...] About 15 of them!

Thanks for thinking about the customer's experience!

• I've had similar experiences with glasses (tumblers)...even though you can get the sticker off it leaves a bunch of impervious goo in its wake.  Products like Thoro or Googone do the trick on this stuff.

• The worst thing is duct tape on a car window. My electric windows actuator went out, so I just taped the window up in place until I had time to take it in. Well, 5 months later and I get it fixed, and the tape residue is near impossible to get off, I've tried everything.

Whatever you do, do NOT use Gorilla brand duct tape - they aren't lying when they say it's stickier and sticks to things others wont. I love the stuff, and it held the window up like you wouldn't believe, but months later I'm still fighting with the goo. Blech!

I might just pay for a detailer to take car of it for me - let em work for their pay!

• just grab some paint thinner.  no trip to the store.  I agree. I hate those kind of stickers.

• @Jeremy D. Pavleck said:

The worst thing is duct tape on a car window. My electric windows actuator went out, so I just taped the window up in place until I had time to take it in. Well, 5 months later and I get it fixed, and the tape residue is near impossible to get off, I've tried everything.

Whatever you do, do NOT use Gorilla brand duct tape - they aren't lying when they say it's stickier and sticks to things others wont. I love the stuff, and it held the window up like you wouldn't believe, but months later I'm still fighting with the goo. Blech!

I might just pay for a detailer to take car of it for me - let em work for their pay!

Are you talking about a car window?  What about using a razor blade or a big fat X-acto knife?  I can't imagine anything sticking to a window that cannot be scrapped off with a razor blade.  But then again, I've never used Gorilla brand duct tape, it could be bonded at the molecular level!

-dZ.

• WD40 will dissolve the glue. (In case it doesn't exist outside the UK - it's a liquid that is mainly used to help remove rust, it comes in little spray cans).

Just squirt it on and leave it for a while. Got some duct tape glue off a couple of gloves after about 3months

• any petroleum solvent will take it off.