Car Salesman

• @boomzilla said:

@DaveK said:
    Maybe it's blakey who should check, or maybe it's an EU-vs-US difference, but over here you don't get any kind of purchase protection with debit cards, only credit cards.

Probably a US thing. They're pretty much all Visa or Mastercard, and when you do general purchase type transactions (as opposed to ATM withdrawal or cash advance stuff, which requires the PIN to be used) you get "standard" Visa or Mastercard type of protections.

True. My debit card's PIN number is 2 - the secret 4-digit one which you need at POS terminals, ATMs and some online stores and the my-gods-who-was-the-fucker-who-decided-this-should-be-written-on-the-card-in-plain-sight-hope-they-get-raped CVV you need for using it as a credit card at other online stores.

• @Cad Delworth said:

@DaveK said:
    It's perfectly legal to buy anything you want for any amount of cash, but yes, you might be asked to prove you came by it legitimately.  If you did, that's hardly a problem.

In the opinion of the several bank customers I interviewed in a recent job doing market research, it was a problem. Being 'grilled' for over 15 minutes by over-zealous bank droids when they were paying money into their accounts which they had withdrawn only a few days before from the same branch of the same bank to pay their staff in cash (but then discovered their spouse had done the same), and similar tales I heard while doing interviews for a Very Well Known UK bank, was seen as a very major problem by those customers, most of whom had banked at the same branch for over 20 years. I've also heard from other friends who tried to pay cash (in this case, £1500) for a car being refused by the dealership and shown the door. You see, failing to report suspected (i.e. potential) money laundering activity carries a 5 year jail term in the UK, so most businesses will accept only banker's drafts, credit cards etc.—and not actual folding money—for such amounts.

So yeah, it's not illegal as such, you're right. :) It's just that attempting to do so will result in you being treated like a criminal until you can prove otherwise, if indeed the business in question even gives you the chance.

I've regularly dealt in thousands of pounds, cash, over the counter at my bank and never had an issue (housing deposits, mainly). Also managed to pay (£>10,000) for a car about a year ago, in cash, with zero issues. Guess I've just got a sensible bank that doesn't treat me like a criminal. shrug

• @Cad Delworth said:

bla bla bla, bla bla bla... bla, bla bla, bla bla bla.  bla, bla bla, bla bla bla bla bla  you're right  bla bla... bla, bla bla, bla bla bla.  bla, bla bla, bla bla

This is what everyone sounds like to me all the time.

• @DaveK said:

This is what everyone sounds like to me all the time.

Now look what you did.

You made me hover the underlined text.

• @dhromed said:

You should know that you only need to do that if it's [color=blue][u]blue[/u][/color].

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@dhromed said:

You should know that you only need to do that if it's blue.

<span style="color:#02469B;>Wrong shade of blue

• @blakeyrat said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:
    @dhromed said:
    Wrong shade of blue
    I did notice that, but I couldn't be arsed fixing it.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    @dhromed said:
    Wrong shade of blue

FTFY

• @RTapeLoadingError said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    @dhromed said:
    Wrong shade of blue

[u]FTFY[/u]

FTFY.

• @Scarlet Manuka said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    @dhromed said:
    Wrong shade of blue
    FTFY
    FTFY.

I scrolled up two posts to find the one with the blue underlines, then tried to click on them. I have no idea why I did that.

• @immibis said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@RTapeLoadingError said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @Scarlet Manuka said:
    @dhromed said:
    Wrong shade of blue

FTFY

FTFY.

I scrolled up two posts to find the one with the blue underlines, then tried to click on them. I have no idea why I did that.

How could you fall for that? They didn't even have the right mouse cursor!

•  I inspected ALL those links in the hope that someone might have linked it to a funny something, but alas.

• We once bought a car for cash on a Friday lunch time. My wife found it on the Internet about 10 minutes after it went up on the website on the Friday morning. 

It was extremely cheap (£6000 instead of £10000) because it was an Internet special priced unreasonably low intended to draw in customers over a following three day holiday weekend.

Unfortunately we had a non-running (turbo oil seal exploded) but otherwise in good condition car to get rid of. They would only P/X that car if we bought something on finance, so we had to buy major replacement parts insurance for the new car for £1000. We said we would pay cash for that too but they demanded we setup a monthly payment.

Looking back on the parts  insurance we paid for we got a document with the last three digits of the policy number clipped off by their printer and insured through an organisation that did not really seem to exist. Just as well we never claimed.

After all that it was still a cheap car  . It cost £6999 in the end ( £1 P/X valuation for the old car) . I sold a maintenance manual for the old car on Ebay for £3.50 ...

I still have the car 5 years on. 

• @snoofle said:

We're looking to get a new car. We decided on what we wanted and went to the dealership, took the test drive, decided on the options and sat down with the salesman:

We want model x with options y and z and we'll be paying cash; please give me the lowest price you can live with.

What's your social security number?

Why do you need it? I said we'll be paying cash.

I'm going to run a credit check.

Why? I said I'm going to be paying in CASH! No loans.

But we need to check your credit report.

No you don't. That's just if I need financing. I don't need financing. Every time someone checks the credit rating, it's a slight ding on the FICO score. I have a good credit rating because I don't let people ding it for no reason (well, that and the fact that I pay my bills on time).

He insisted. I asked to see the manager. The manager won't be able to help you; it's our policy to check your credit. Let the manager tell me that.

Turns out they didn't need to check my credit report for a cash sale; all I needed was a cash deposit and a cashier's check.

For spite, we walked out (the price was ok, but wasn't all that great).

I hate car salesman.

I went through that back in Febuary when buying my wife a new car.  The salesman was a new guy though, and he took "No, I'll be paying cash" very well and only asked once. The sales manager took "Cash sale" well too. The problem came when we'd agreed on a pretty fair price and he sent me over to another guy (his brother, in fact) to finish the paperwork. That guy didn't like "Cash sale" at all, and was kind of a dick. Took me four more strong "No" before he relented. Then came the upsells, and I started playing with him. Extended warranty? "Sir, I'm a mechanic. I plan on voiding the warranty early and often, so no." Extra clear coat? "Naw, it gets scratched all to hell when you throw magnetic signs on it for track days" Sound deadening undercoat? "I'd rather not have to grind rubber off the bottom of the car just so the skid plates fit right. Adds weight too."

• @dhromed said:

I inspected ALL those links in the hope that someone might have linked it to a funny something, but alas.

No

• @Zemm said:

@dhromed said:

I inspected ALL those links in the hope that someone might have linked it to a funny something, but alas.

No

thanks bro