Jerry Rice & Nitus' Dog Football

• I will let this [url=http://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/jerry-rice-nitus-dog-football/92837]WTF[/url] speak for itself. It would also behoove you to watch the video (in it's lengthy entirety).

@Gamestop said:

Put on a jersey and grab a ball for the ultimate pet sports experience that will excite and entertain the entire family! Dog Football delivers the most delightfully humorous, pickup-and-play doggie action-sport game ever created for the Nintendo Wii. Tight gameplay meets dog-simple play calling to unite the competitive spirit of families everywhere. Up to 4 players, co-op or head-to-head, run, pass, catch, kick, doggie-safe tackling system, and hilarious real-time dialogue, will turn your family and friends into canine contenders. No license, no leash... take a bite out of the strike with Jerry Rice & Nitus': Dog Football.

• I endorse this product!

• Perhaps TRWTF is Gamestop's website?

Would you like to pick one of these other subsites for different countires? We know you're not from the US but we couldn't be bothered to send you straight where we think you'd like to go. Oh, and what's this? You hit "go on to US anyway"? Better redirect you to the homepage!

• 🚽 Regular

Me: "Come on, honey, play this football video game with me!"

Wife: "I told you, I don't like foo-- Oh hey! Puppies! OMG!"

• My dog runs fast and is a pretty good wide receiver, but his throwing is just awful: 0% pass completion.

• How did Jerry Rice's name get attached to this?

Also: I'm soo glad I resisted the urge to buy a Wii.

• @blakeyrat said:

How did Jerry Rice's name get attached to this?

You had an urge to buy a Wii?

• @dohpaz42 said:

It would also behoove you to watch the video (in it's lengthy entirety).

It would help if the image wasn't out of sync by nine seconds. Admittedly, this might be because I use the latest flash player's beta.

• @nexekho said:

Perhaps TRWTF is Gamestop's website?

Would you like to pick one of these other subsites for different countires? We know you're not from the US but we couldn't be bothered to send you straight where we think you'd like to go. Oh, and what's this? You hit "go on to US anyway"? Better redirect you to the homepage!

If you just ignore the message and retry clicking the link, it works just fine. At least it did for me.

• @steenbergh said:

@blakeyrat said:

That's news to me too.

• @steenbergh said:

@blakeyrat said:

Yah. When it was new and fad-y. Then I remembered I bought a GameCube, and the thing was a piece of crap that never had any fucking good games... guess what? The Wii's a piece of crap that's never had any fucking good games.

Why is Nintendo still in business? Well, the Wii-U and that retarded "3D" game boy nobody wants will kill them off.

• @blakeyrat said:

Why is Nintendo still in business?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33854/Analysts_PS3_Passes_Xbox_360_Worldwide_Nintendo_Successor_Within_A_Year.php

"According to the company's data, the Nintendo Wii continues to enjoy the world's largest install base with 75.5 million active units worldwide, but the active install base of PS3s reached 43.4 million at the close of 2010 versus Xbox 360's 42.9."

retardedcasual gamers rule the gaming world.

• @blakeyrat said:

Yah. When it was new and fad-y. Then I remembered I bought a GameCube, and the thing was a piece of crap that never had any fucking good games... guess what? The Wii's a piece of crap that's never had any fucking good games.

Why is Nintendo still in business? Well, the Wii-U and that retarded "3D" game boy nobody wants will kill them off.

FWIW, one of the redeeming qualities of the Wii is it is hackable - well, up until the latest update. It was really awesome to be able to load up emulators and play all of the old games (you can do it on a normal Wii, but it costs money to buy the roms from Nintendo). Also, the New Super Mario Bros was an awesome game, as is Mario World. But, you are ultimately right that there is a huge lacking of great games. I'm disappointed that Nintendo, by and large, has forgotten all of the grown-up gamers that made them who they are: they seem to just want to stay in Never-Never Land and make kids games for eternity. I digress. I guess that's what the Xbox and PS3 are for.

• Nintendo is still in business because they provide fun games that you can play with real friends. You can be lounging around one day and say, "hey guys, want to play a video game?" and start having fun in seconds. It does not require days-to-weeks of intense study and practice of gaming mechanics, nor does it incite violence nor hard feelings as a result from total pwnage. Wii is pretty excellent like that. ... No comment about the dog football game.

Meanwhile, Derula, I'm really impressed. I think your script really has achieved sentience this time. I just want to say how happy I am with it. Because it understands what I'm saying. And I don't want to get on its bad side.

• @Xyro said:

real friends.

What is that?

@Xyro said:

You can be lounging around one day and say, "hey guys, want to play a video game?"

That though have never cross my mind, but that is probably because of my general dislike of other humans

@Xyro said:

It does not require days-to-weeks of intense study and practice of gaming mechanics

It is a game, dude, don't take it that seriously

@Xyro said:

nor does it incite violence

Studies that says that violence in games incite violence in real life are mostly bullshit, matter of fact some studies say that they provide an outlet and result in less real life violence 

@Xyro said:

nor hard feelings as a result from total pwnage.

Really? Who get that fired about winning a videogame? I mean if winning a videogame is that important to a person maybe they should take a long hard look at their life (unless you are a pro gamer, in that case is fine as it is your job to win)

• @Nelle said:

"According to the company's data, the Nintendo Wii continues to enjoy the world's largest install base with 75.5 million active units worldwide, but the active install base of PS3s reached 43.4 million at the close of 2010 versus Xbox 360's 42.9."

retardedcasual gamers rule the gaming world.

Yah, and how many titles-per-console are they averaging? 2? 3 maybe? Why would any developer bother doing a difficult (and compromising; the Wii's a wimp) port to a console that doesn't sell games?

Oh wait, they don't. The Wii gets Nintendo titles and shovelware only.

@dohpaz42 said:

FWIW, one of the redeeming qualities of the Wii is it is hackable - well, up until the latest update. It was really awesome to be able to load up emulators and play all of the old games (you can do it on a normal Wii, but it costs money to buy the roms from Nintendo). Also, the New Super Mario Bros was an awesome game, as is Mario World. But, you are ultimately right that there is a huge lacking of great games. I'm disappointed that Nintendo, by and large, has forgotten all of the grown-up gamers that made them who they are: they seem to just want to stay in Never-Never Land and make kids games for eternity. I digress. I guess that's what the Xbox and PS3 are for.

The Wii is hackable by accident, because they let some insecure code slip. Meanwhile, the Xbox is hackable on purpose.

@Xyro said:

Nintendo is still in business because they provide fun games that you can play with real friends. You can be lounging around one day and say, "hey guys, want to play a video game?" and start having fun in seconds. It does not require days-to-weeks of intense study and practice of gaming mechanics, nor does it incite violence nor hard feelings as a result from total pwnage. Wii is pretty excellent like that. ... No comment about the dog football game.

I don't think this is worth spending time debunking. You're full of crap and you know it and we all know it. Earth Defense Force: 2017 is only on Xbox, and Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon is only on Xbox and PS3. And EDF games are scientifically proven to be the most fun to play with friends.

• @serguey123 said:

@Xyro said:
    nor does it incite violence

Studies that says that violence in games incite violence in real life are mostly bullshit, matter of fact some studies say that they provide an outlet and result in less real life violence 

Apparently you have never played a competitive video game with an aggressive 10 year old.

@serguey123 said:

@Xyro said:
    nor hard feelings as a result from total pwnage.

Really? Who get that fired about winning a videogame?

Huh? I cannot be fired from being an uncle!!

• @blakeyrat said:

The Wii is hackable by accident, because they let some insecure code slip. Meanwhile, the Xbox is hackable on purpose.

I'm all for that, and I think that it's a great opportunity. Kudos to Microsoft for opening their system up like that. However, the hackable that I meant was more along the lines of free-for-personal-use type that doesn't cost $99 (which, FWIW, is not a bad thing given the benefits that you get in return). I hope plan hope to someday take them up on a membership.

• @dohpaz42 said:

@blakeyrat said:

I'm all for that, and I think that it's a great opportunity. Kudos to Microsoft for opening their system up like that. However, the hackable that I meant was more along the lines of free-for-personal-use type that doesn't cost $99 (which, FWIW, is not a bad thing given the benefits that you get in return). I hope plan hope to someday take them up on a membership.

You can write and test XNA code until the cows come home without paying a single red cent. You only need to pay the fee if you want to put your game on App Hub. (And hopefully, if it's any good, you'll earn back the $99 in the first week.) (And hopefully if it's really good, it'll get promoted to Xbox Live Arcade and you'll earn a shitload.)

Or do what Zeboyd Games or Re-Logic did and bypass the App Hub, and distribute your XNA Windows build over Steam and make a fortune there. That don't cost nothing.

If Microsoft wrote a Mac compatibility layer for XNA, they'd own the indie games industry. The only reason now to not use XNA is the Mac's strangely-strong indie games market. (Well, not that strange-- they have users who want games, and big studios don't bother, so indies it is.)

• @Xyro said:

Meanwhile, Derula, I'm really impressed. I think your script really has achieved sentience this time. I just want to say how happy I am with it. Because it understands what I'm saying. And I don't want to get on its bad side.

My script is pleased and will not hurt you. For now.

Meanwhile, I won't get into this little Wii flamewar right now. I'll just say I don't think Nintendo will die over their 3DS hiccup. And not entirely Nintendo related: if one day there will only be games that are either overly violent, sports related or casual, I will probably stop buying new games. Actually that would be great, because there's so many great old games I should play some time.

• @blakeyrat said:

You can write and test XNA code until the cows come home without paying a single red cent. You only need to pay the fee if you want to put your game on App Hub. (And hopefully, if it's any good, you'll earn back the $99 in the first week.) (And hopefully if it's really good, it'll get promoted to Xbox Live Arcade and you'll earn a shitload.)

The last time that I seriously looked into this, you had to pay the $99 to even be able to burn and play your games (regardless of of whether or not you wanted to distribute them). Admittedly, this might have changed in the past few months; I don't know. I will be looking into this more in the near future, once I wrap up some other priorities frist. But I agree with you that $99 is small pence to pay if it can be earned back (with proverbial interest) if the game is received well.

@blakeyrat said:

Or do what Zeboyd Games or Re-Logic did and bypass the App Hub, and distribute your XNA Windows build over Steam and make a fortune there. That don't cost nothing.

Nice! I personally wouldn't take this route; 1) I'm lazy, and b) I prefer consoles over PCs and would probably only want to support consoles.

@blakeyrat said:

If Microsoft wrote a Mac compatibility layer for XNA, they'd own the indie games industry. The only reason now to not use XNA is the Mac's strangely-strong indie games market. (Well, not that strange-- they have users who want games, and big studios don't bother, so indies it is.)

This. I completely agree with you here. I don't have a full-fledged Windows box, and I use a Macbook Pro. So, I probably would wet myself if Microsoft brought their development platform to the Mac. Here's to wishing. :) Though, I am strongly considering buying a copy of Windows 7 and using Bootcamp.

• @dohpaz42 said:

The last time that I seriously looked into this, you had to pay the $99 to even be able to burn and play your games (regardless of of whether or not you wanted to distribute them). Admittedly, this might have changed in the past few months; I don't know. I will be looking into this more in the near future, once I wrap up some other priorities frist. But I agree with you that $99 is small pence to pay if it can be earned back (with proverbial interest) if the game is received well.

You've always been able to run the Windows build for free.

I'm not 100% certain where the fee comes in play... whether it's when you want to QA on the Xbox, or just when you want to put it on the App Hub. Either way, you can do 99% of your QA on Windows, then only pay the fee when you're ready to sell the thing, so your complaint is still misleading.

@dohpaz42 said:

This. I completely agree with you here. I don't have a full-fledged Windows box, and I use a Macbook Pro.

Run Windows on it. This is just realization #257 that you paid way too much for an inferior computer.

Even if Microsoft released a Mac compatibility layer for XNA, the odds they'd create a version of Visual Studio that ran on Mac are... well low. Never say never.

@dohpaz42 said:

Though, I am strongly considering buying a copy of Windows 7 and using Bootcamp.

Oh.

• @serguey123 said:

Really? Who get that fired about winning a videogame?

Heh, you should see my kids. And that's just with the nice, friendly Wii games.

Seriously, they were playing "Dance Juniors" the other day and one of them got into a rage because one of the others kept winning.

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said:

Well, it does cost SOMETHING. Valve just won't discuss what it is except under NDA. Probably a percentage cut.

• @Weng said:

@blakeyrat said:

Well, it does cost SOMETHING. Valve just won't discuss what it is except under NDA. Probably a percentage cut.

Dickweed. Of the pedantic variety.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Weng said:

@blakeyrat said:

Dickweed. Of the pedantic variety.

• @blakeyrat said:

Yah, and how many titles-per-console are they averaging? 2? 3 maybe? Why would any developer bother doing a difficult (and compromising; the Wii's a wimp) port to a console that doesn't sell games?

Oh wait, they don't. The Wii gets Nintendo titles and shovelware only.

yes and those 2-3 titles per console sell like crazy (twice as much sold copies as the ones on ps or xbox) ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

• @Nelle said:

yes and those 2-3 titles per console sell like crazy (twice as much sold copies as the ones on ps or xbox) ...

That's because there's twice as many Wiis, and nothing else to buy!

Which is great if you're Nintendo. But it's terrible if you're a consumer who wants a good selection of games to play.

• <3

• @bannedfromcoding said:

<3

You can get the script from userscripts.org if you like. They decided to mark it as "unlisted" though, probably because it contains "bad words". Which isn't surprising, seeing how it contains all the words that have been written in this forum ten or more times.

Edit: Also, I'm too lazy to e-mail an admin to mark it listed.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@derula said:

@bannedfromcoding said:
    <3

You can get the script from userscripts.org if you like.

Nice. Is there any way of wildcarding the values of allTagsId, etc?  There's a non-zero chance that .Net will mysteriously change the ID of the control.  If I were using JQuery, I'd say $("[id*=AllTags]").

(Or I could be overkilling a problem that will never happen. Either/or)

• @Lorne Kates said:

Nice. Is there any way of wildcarding the values of allTagsId, etc?  There's a non-zero chance that .Net will mysteriously change the ID of the control.

It never did so far, and the ID has been in the random tags script I've been using for a long time. Shipping jQuery with a userscript seems like overkill. But then again, so does shipping a word list with 31,592 entries... (I'm really surprised how quickly this is parsed by JS.)

On the other hand, iterating ... wait, the element containing all the tags is an INPUT! WHY THE HELL? I wonder what happens if you change its contents... gets out firebug

Anyway, it being an input, you could of course use document.forms... However I think that the only reason why this would change would be an upgrade from CS to telligent Community that's never going to happen, and if it does, the script will (hopefully, if they're any sane) stop to work entirely, regardless of how it's done.