Your biggest mistake?

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

This ultimately has less to do with nations, per se, than with civilizations.

WTF are you talking about?

Oops, forgot who I was replying to. Carry on. Juche!

• @serguey123 said:

@frits said:

@serguey123 said:

@Weng said:

@serguey123 said:

That doesn't happen in real life.  Only in hyped media and videogames
    And... you know, in real life. Jesus, how the hell could you miss THAT joke? Or is your flag-waving inner patriot too sensitive to "9/11 jokes" to believe someone could make one?

I'm not from the US so... 9/11 means nothing to me (if you take the slash you get 911) also, what that has to do with the whole SEAL team bit?  I don't recall any conection, but then again I don't follow the news on stuff I don't care about.  Also for the most part I don't consider myself a patriot because for the most part nations are a meaningless concept to me.

So what you're saying is that you're unqualified to make commentary about stuff you don't care about?

YES 

FTFY

You do realize you didn't increase your credibility with that "fix", right?

@serguey123 said:

Terrorism doesn't target [b]my poor country[/b]

FTFY.  Keep helping us zero in.

• @frits said:

You do realize you didn't increase your credibility with that "fix", right?

I was going for the truth rather than credibility, I mean, do you think you are qualified to comment on stuff you don't care about?

@frits said:

FTFY.  Keep helping us zero in.

I never hid that I live in a third world country, but my point extend to every poor, resourceless country, what is the point of beating a dead horse?

@boomzilla said:

Oops, forgot who I was replying to. Carry on. Juche!

Sorry, I just don't see the conection between a dead mediocre extremist, his acts and civilization?  Are you implying I should care about something that happened years ago, in a foreign country involving people I don't know?, why?  Do you care about all the people in the world that are dying right now?  If so what the fuck are you doing to remedy it?  Because caring and doing zilch is what annoy me the most.

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

Sorry, I just don't see the conection between a dead mediocre extremist, his acts and civilization?  Are you implying I should care about something that happened years ago, in a foreign country involving people I don't know?, why?  Do you care about all the people in the world that are dying right now?  If so what the fuck are you doing to remedy it?  Because caring and doing zilch is what annoy me the most.

You really do live in a bubble, eh? The incident I linked to happened about 4 months ago. It's certainly a lot more interesting than trolling around on internet fora about how much you suck.

• @boomzilla said:

The incident I linked to happened about 4 months ago.

I thought we were still talking about 9/11, I still don't care about it though, as 4 months is old enough to not be current news.

@boomzilla said:

fora

no idea of what this means

@boomzilla said:
    a lot more interesting than trolling around on internet

For you perhaps, not for me, and that was my point, people are diverse, you know?  Perhaps it is you that lives in a bubble

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

The incident I linked to happened about 4 months ago.

I thought we were still talking about 9/11, I still don't care about it though, as 4 months is old enough to not be current news.

Dude. We were talking about motherfucking SEALs dropping in and killing people. I agree that it's no longer current news. Just that it's also not ancient history. Also, pretty cool.

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    fora

no idea of what this means

fora: plural of forum.

@serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:
    a lot more interesting than trolling around on internet

For you perhaps, not for me, and that was my point, people are diverse, you know?  Perhaps it is you that lives in a bubble

No, I definitely don't live in a bubble. See how I knew all that stuff going on in the outside world that you didn't? I suppose you could teach me a thing or two about the more edible kinds of tree bark, though.

• fora? forums is plurel of forum.

• @boomzilla said:

Dude. We were talking about motherfucking SEALs dropping in and killing people. I agree that it's no longer current news. Just that it's also not ancient history. Also, pretty cool.

It is their job, but again, I don't care, it is not relevant to me, do you care know about everything that happens in the world?  I'm pretty sure you don't, you only care about what is relevant to you, and that is my point.

@boomzilla said:

Oh, I know, check my post previous tags, but this is deprecated, came from latin, and people today use forums which is the prefered form.

@boomzilla said:

No, I definitely don't live in a bubble. See how I knew all that stuff going on in the outside world that you didn't?

What is that you claim I did not know about?  I never claimed ignorance, I claimed irrelevance, I don't care about stuff that is meaningless to me.  I faintly recall something on the news when this happened but again, irrelevant to me.

@boomzilla said:

I suppose you could teach me a thing or two about the more edible kinds of tree bark, though.

I live in the city so... I have never actually seen a real forest, you will need to rely on somebody else for that.

• @Nagesh said:

fora? forums is plurel of forum.

It is old, actually from latin, I'm guessing boomzilla wanted to show off or he actually use that word which is odd, but you are correct Nagesh, forums is the actual plural for forum although the latin word is still valid but almost deprecated

• ♿ (Parody)

@serguey123 said:

I never claimed ignorance, I claimed irrelevance

You can claim whatever you want, but your comments were displaying ignorance. That's not a judgment, just a fact.

• @Nagesh said:

fora? forums is plurel of forum.

When a word is coined, it adopts the pluralization standard at the time when it was coined. Thus you have two completely different words, coined centuries apart: mouse and mouse. Mouse (the animal) is pluralized "mice", and mouse (the computer peripheral) is plurized "mouses". Even some companies that make mouses get this wrong.

Anyway, the same thing applies to forum and forum.

This has been Roseanne, your guide to the world of facts!

• @blakeyrat said:

mouse (the computer peripheral) is plurized "mouses"
    This is the first time I have ever seen or heard it pluralised that way. Everywhere else it's been pluralised as "mice", same as for the animal.

•  This is the most useless thread of all threads. Even the Expirey thread is better.

• Biggest mistake may have been joining this, of all fora.

• @boomzilla said:

@serguey123 said:
    I never claimed ignorance, I claimed irrelevance
    You can claim whatever you want, but your comments were displaying ignorance. That's not a judgment, just a fact.

Ignorance towards what?  Me not getting a faint conection about some irrelevant and somewhat old news that happened really far away from were I live and has zero repercution on my life? Sure, why would I care?  I still don't get the whole civilization bit you are talking about, my guess is either you think terrorism is a threat to civilization (it isn't) or you think I should know all kinds of irrelevant crap (I shouldn't).

Also, did you really check the tags?

• @serguey123 said:

@boomzilla said:

Oh, I know, check my post previous tags, but this is deprecated, came from latin, and people today use forums which is the prefered forma.
    FTFY

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:
    This is the first time I have ever seen or heard it pluralised that way. Everywhere else it's been pluralised as "mice", same as for the animal.

Mouses is the superplural of mice. Y'know, when you have more than one mice.

• @Lorne Kates said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:

Shouldn't that be "mices"?

• It was probably replying to a question with an answer of the form, "This project should be aborted, at least with this product.  Given the problems they've described, what you are attempting to do could not possibly work with this tool, unless ...", with a long technical rather than short financial unless clause.  It might not sound like a mistake to some people, but it was a mistake.

What I learned from it was one must be certain to convey to people what the costs of a solution are.  They may seem obvious to you, but if it is terminology that the decision maker is unfamiliar with, what you *think* should kill the project could instead get you prodemoted to technical project lead.

Note: part of my unless clause contained a conditional on the product the boss wanted to use not having additional problems of particular types that we had not yet detected.  It *did*, in fact, have additional problems of every one of those types.  Interestingly, when the project was *finally* audited, the bean counters determined that the bean counters should have noticed and canned the project for being over budget about six months before I was even consulted on it.  (Of course, ideally, the project managers would've seen that it was at 100% of budget with no real progress long before that, and dropped it...)

• Garbage Person

@blakeyrat said:

When a word is coined, it adopts the pluralization standard at the time when it was coined. Thus you have two completely different words, coined centuries apart: mouse and mouse. Mouse (the animal) is pluralized "mice", and mouse (the computer peripheral) is plurized "mouses". Even some companies that make mouses get this wrong.

Anyway, the same thing applies to forum and forum.

Generally when I see people who should know better using "fora" it's for effect or emphasis, loading the word with connotations related to Roman high-life. Free thought, democracy, backstabbing coups, orgies, that sort of thing. I've been on more than one forum where that list actually pretty well describes the atmosphere, and those are the places where I see the term most often.

• @tgape said:

It was probably replying to a question with an answer of the form, "This project should be aborted, at least with this product.  Given the problems they've described, what you are attempting to do could not possibly work with this tool, unless ...",

Did something like that once, one guy that really wanted to use reflection for something that was ill adviced, since then I have learned to feign ignorance, until I'm actually ignorant, that should happen any day now.

@Weng said:

Free thought, democracy, backstabbing coups, orgies, that sort of thing. I've been on more than one forum where that list actually pretty well describes the atmosphere, and those are the places where I see the term most often.

So why was it used in this forum?

• @Lorne Kates said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:

Lern something new always..

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Nagesh said:

@Lorne Kates said:

@Scarlet Manuka said:

@blakeyrat said:

Lern something new always..

If anyone asks, you learned it from Blakey.

• Garbage Person

@serguey123 said:

Zecc has terrible fantasies about us all.

• @Weng said:

@serguey123 said:

Hey, I only used the word due to the discussion people were having over it.

• @Zecc said:

@Weng said:

@serguey123 said:

Hey, I only used the word due to the discussion people were having over it.

Not denying the terrible fantasies bit, are we? Hmmm