Favorite Code Mangles

• @dhromed said:

@Xyro said:
    with the guns going off for like a minute ... all constantly shooting each other
    I'm reminded of Shoot Em Up, a fun and amusing movie about bullets and unlikely heroics. Recommended.

It gets really, really close to the line between "good entertainment" and "the stupidest thing I've ever seen." Your mileage may vary on what side of the line it's on.

• @blakeyrat said:

It gets really, really close to the line between "good entertainment" and "the stupidest thing I've ever seen." Your mileage may vary on what side of the line it's on.

Yes, definitely.

I mean, you know at the end? With his hand?

And also the carrot!

I need to see it again. Seriously.

• @blakeyrat said:

@dhromed said:
    @Xyro said:
    with the guns going off for like a minute ... all constantly shooting each other
    I'm reminded of Shoot Em Up, a fun and amusing movie about bullets and unlikely heroics. Recommended.

The good thing is that you can tell within 10 minutes which side of the line it is for you.   This is better than watching a movie that degenerates into ridiculousness at the end because they wrote themselves into a corner.

• @Xyro said:

@DaveK said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    @Xyro said:
    Also, you should juxtapose them with Blake's 7 references. But just never the last episode BECAUSE I NEVER WANT TO THINK OF IT AGAIN. :'(

Avon lives.

He's the most magnificent of magnificent bastards. There's no way he died. None. Unpossible.

Of course he didn't die, he just ducked and they all shot each other!
    Yes :D that is what happened :D they all shot each other ... multiple times ... :| with the guns going off for like a minute ... all constantly shooting each other :( ... with Avon ... ducking.. ... :'(

Yes, that's exactly how it happened.  He really is a magnificent ducker. 

Is your counter-theory that they stood there randomly firing shots at erratic intervals into his dead body for a minute really more plausible?

• @DaveK said:

Is your counter-theory that they stood there randomly firing shots at erratic intervals into his dead body for a minute really more plausible?

The "official" story is that if they got a 5th season, the Federation was going to be, contrary to EVERY PREVIOUS APPEARANCE, be using stun rifles. And so whoever wanted to come back could, because they were just stunned. (Except Blake, who definitely dies, complete with blood makeup effects.)

• KEEP STUNNING HIM, MEN! WE ALMOST GOT HIM!! pchoo bang bang pkow boom bang pshcow pshu kpch bang

• @Xyro said:

KEEP STUNNING HIM, MEN! WE ALMOST GOT HIM!! pchoo bang bang pkow boom bang pshcow pshu kpch bang

They went to the Imperial Stormtrooper Markmanship Academy.

Besides, it's not like Blakes 7 was ever that anal about continuity.

• @blakeyrat said:

Besides, it's not like Blakes 7 was ever that anal about continuity.

That's just the soma drugs and brainwashing talking.

• @zelmak said:

if (((float) ((int) (validCount / 10))) == ((float) validCount / 10.0)) {
    output.append(Constants.CARRIAGE_RETURN);
    }

Please tell me workplace violence is still allowed in your country. If I could I'd hit everyone that test floats for equality with a broken model M.

• @zelmak said:

<command-that-creates-output> | nawk "BEGIN {x = 0}; {x++; if (x==1) print $0}"

I was called to 'improve' this piece of sed I wrote years ago (it goes on like this for, oh, six or seven screens). My old locker is being used to store things like , coffee and cockroaches poison (sadly in different shelves). Of course, my notes and the original specification are long gone.

s/<.*>/ /g
            s/>/ /g

s/\((.*\)\n\(*.*)\)\(:\|;\)/\1\2/g
            s/[1-9]/ /g
            s/\-//g

s/\(\#.*\)$/ /g

s/([^()])/ /g
            s/{[^()]}/ /g
            s/\[[^()]\]//g
            s/\w*\s*:=/ /g
            s/\w*\s*=/ /g
            s/[:;=+&^$"'{}\*\\\/]/ /g
            s/\[\|\]/ /g
            s/^\(\n\)*/\1/

/\w*(/{
                    s/,\{0,\}\(\w\|[^()]\)*\(\,\|)\|\n\|\s\)/ /g
                    s/^\(\n\)*/\1/
                    s/\(\w*\)(/\1\n/g
                    s/ *//g
                    p
            }

s/\s.\s//g
            s/\s..\s//g

• @Power Troll said:

Agreed. He's probably one of those hipster, Gentoo-linux, Ruby-on-Rails posers who just got a job as a legitimate programmer, thought it would be angsty/counterculture/cool to post shit on TDWTF side bar forums, but now realizes how terrible he is at coding as he's crawling through the repository.

If it matters:  Fuck Gentoo. Fuck Rails. I haven't messed with Ruby enough (indeed, at all) to have a comment, although a fairly close friend likes it a lot.

I'm not the most experienced programmer in the world, but I know what I don't know. 

And regardless of that, the codebase is a steaming pile of shit. For all the fragilily, the massive, complex interconnected, and circular package and .jar dependencies and the countless (well, I suppose I COULD count them, but I have other things to worry about) empty catch blocks, I'm amazed the system works as well as it does.

• Garbage Person

@zelmak said:

I haven't messed with Ruby enough (indeed, at all) to have a comment, although a fairly close friend likes it a lot.
    Get a new friend.

• @Weng said:

@zelmak said:

I haven't messed with Ruby enough (indeed, at all) to have a comment, although a fairly close friend likes it a lot.
    Get a new friend.

Damn. I have so few left ...