So, you think you're having a bad day?

• This happened yesterday to a colleague - Rather than giving him internet-wide public humiliation yesterday, I decided the finger pointing and laughing by the 70 staff in our office would be sufficient for the first day!! So, let's play a game of "Count the WTFs!"

So, my fore-mentioned esteemed colleague, who is one of the server admins, went downstairs to our server room....

1) After borrowing my server room keys because he forgot his

2) To do a job in SQL Server he could have done from his desk using terminal services

3a) Then accidentally locked himself in the room (we have keyfob entry on the outside)....

3b) .... because he couldn't find the internal door release button (next to the door) ....

3c) .... and had to get someone in the office next to the server room to ring me to relay the location of the button

4) Then had to call me to ask which of the two 6U servers we have is the one he needed to log on to (hint - one of the two 6U's is currently dead and lifeless)

Did anyone else have a case of the Mondays as bad as that?!!

• @MeesterTurner said:

Well I lost my assignment yesterday (I had the comic almost finished, but when the people came to pick it up, I was still working on the last page so they just dropped me because it was my last deadline...). When I arrived at school late (I had the comic with me because I wanted to apply to a different place to publish it), I got a call that my dad has deceased in hospital, and when I arrived at teachers' lounge, the principal was already awaiting me to inquire why I'm late. When I didn't respond him because I was still on phone with the hospital, he struck the phone out of my hand and in shock I dropped my handbag which was still open from when I got the phone out. The comic spread across the floor, ready to be seen by some fifth-graders who quickly and loudly pronounced the sexual nature of the pictures. Long story short, I was suspended from office and the principal guaranteed me he would make double-sure I was never allowed to work in a public school again. When I came home, I found a letter of my daughter's father's lawyer saying that he is suing me for domestic violence (which is an obvious lie, but how am I supposed to afford a lawyer now?). Then I noticed my daughter was at home, so I went to her room to tell her about her grandpa. But before I could even start, she told me that she was pregnant, which was weird because she never had a boyfriend. I guessed it was from a rape and the despair in her eyes backed that up. But before I could even respond anything, the doorbell rang. It was bailiffs who came to take some valuables because apparently there were unpaid bills I didn't know about. Turned out they were thieves. So yeah... wasn't my most enjoyable Monday yet.

•  I spilled some soup today, and outdid myself on an illustration job yesterday evening.

• I woke up alive. Darn!

•  I woke up and realized i had to go to work.

•  my mum walked in on me

• I read derula's post :(

• @MeesterTurner said:

This happened yesterday to a colleague - Rather than giving him internet-wide public humiliation yesterday, I decided the finger pointing and laughing by the 70 staff in our office would be sufficient for the first day!! So, let's play a game of "Count the WTFs!"

So, my fore-mentioned esteemed colleague, who is one of the server admins, went downstairs to our server room....

1) After borrowing my server room keys because he forgot his

2) To do a job in SQL Server he could have done from his desk using terminal services

3a) Then accidentally locked himself in the room (we have keyfob entry on the outside)....

3b) .... because he couldn't find the internal door release button (next to the door) ....

3c) .... and had to get someone in the office next to the server room to ring me to relay the location of the button

4) Then had to call me to ask which of the two 6U servers we have is the one he needed to log on to (hint - one of the two 6U's is currently dead and lifeless)

Seriously???? You think that's a bad day???

Try destabilizing half the network switches in your data center because the new monitoring you'd been running that worked correctly on a good chunk of the enterprise invoked a documented-but-obscure SNMP bug that you just happened to hit that caused a memory leak and being up 35 hours with 2.5 hours sleep because you were the one on call. That's the reason I'm taking a week's vacation this week. (Plus the fact that my vacation bank was almost maxed out . . . I rarely ever take vacation.)

Three switches rebooted spontaneously, two had to have emergency reboots, and two more are still in a precarious-but-stable-for-now state. We're working on plans to get those restarted too in a more controlled manner.

• @Helix said:

my mum walked in on me

Did she eventually walk out?

• Worked at a small ISP back in 2000. Was at home one evening when the pager went off... lost our backbone connection from my POP to the main office. I was able to dial into the main POP or the remote, but couldn't talk between the two. Outage lasted all night.

Found out later that our backhaul provider was performing an upgrade to their ATM switches that night. They tested everything out on the testbed, which worked fine. Unfortunately, their production hardware was a slightly different revision than their test hardware, and the new software had a bug that their vendor was not aware of. They pushed their upgrade to the main switch, which pushed out to the rest of the network, which then crashed... hard.

Solution: Upload a new image and configuration file. Over a 9600 baud serial port (hence the waiting all night for the network to come back up). Kind of like jumping out of an airplane with a bag of caterpillers and watching them spin enough silk for a parachute.

• @derula said:

Filed under: Furry, I love this character, Maybe I should name her

The furry pervert high school teacher is a her?? Head asplode!

• @Xyro said:

I read derula's post :(

I read the post about meters and yards and my sense of humor shriveled-up and died. Now I'm a Vulcan.

• @blakeyrat said:

@Xyro said:
    I read derula's post :(

I read the post about meters and yards and my [b]penis[/b] shriveled-up and died. Now I'm a [b]Eunuch[/b].

FTFY

• @RichP said:

Kind of like jumping out of an airplane with a bag of caterpillers and watching them spin enough silk for a parachute.

Sounds like a new sig to me!

• You think you're having a bad day? I've got blisters on my hands from these new golf gloves.

http://www.whitepeopleproblems.com

• @C-Octothorpe said:

@Helix said:

my mum walked in on me

Yes, but only after watching for about 10 minutes (and leaving a $5 tip)

• My Monday this week involved standing for an hour in pouring rain without a jacket, and evacuation from a tram car that catched fire. ;)

• @bannedfromcoding said:

a tram car that catched fire. ;)

caught.

• @blakeyrat said:

The furry pervert high school teacher is a her?? Head asplode!

yawn

• @Anonymouse said:

@C-Octothorpe said:
    @Helix said:
     my mum walked in on me

Damn, I had to clean the house top-to-bottom to get my allowance...

• We still use cvs and someone had fun working this weekend. Mr. Derula, want to switch places? I mostly do lettering when not working but I'm starting inking comics.

My Monday this week involved standing for an hour in pouring rain without a jacket, and evacuation from a tram car that catched caught fire. ;)

Update: Today (Wednesday) the train I was taking back home from a business trip caught fire.
    No, these things do not happen often, even in this country, so it's kind of an odd coincidence.

(Thanks for correction, dhromed. English as a second language, and all that.)

@bannedfromcoding said:
    My Monday this week involved standing for an hour in pouring rain without a jacket, and evacuation from a tram car that catched caught fire. ;)

Update: Today (Wednesday) the train I was taking back home from a business trip caught fire.
    No, these things do not happen often, even in this country, so it's kind of an odd coincidence.

(Thanks for correction, dhromed. English as a second language, and all that.)

Next time take the bus. And bring some sticks and marshmallows. And maybe some graham crackers and Herseys. Mmm.

• @blakeyrat said:

Next time take the bus. And bring some sticks and marshmallows. And maybe some graham crackers and Herseys. Mmm.

Bus would take 5+ hours instead of two, here buses are all old, and go through every tiny village in the region. The idea is that for fast travel to large(r) cities you take fast trains, for mediocre travel to small towns you take the regional train, and to get to Forgotten Dunghole (population: 3 and some cows) you take a bus.

Also, marsmallows cooked over electrical fire reek of burned insulation. >.>

marsmallows cooked over electrical fire reek of burned insulation. >.>
    mmm, burned insulation...

Sidenote: Jeeze, and I thought my commute was bad at ~1 hour...

• Well, my regular work commute consists of one of:

• 45 minute tram ride (starting around 5:50am) through the city to a meeting point
    • ~1h car ride in coworker's car to the city work's in
    or
    • 10 minute bus ride to station
    • 75 minute train ride to target city
    • 30 minutes of walk to work, unless I'm lucky and some other coworker drives by and notices me.
    I work 8-16, I'm outta home 5:45-17:30 at best (18:30 when going back by train due to schedules).

But well, better a nice work far away, than no work in here. My resume's not exactly appealing, and I know I won't get any work easily, much less one that's so fun.

But this flaming train wasn't from work, was from a work-related trip to another place.

But well, better a nice work far away, than no work in here.

So when are you going to move to %targetcity ?

I had a 3 hour commute once. Lasted 4 months. I moved. Now it's 45min by bus or 35min by bike.

• @dhromed said:

@bannedfromcoding said:

I had a 3 hour commute once. Lasted 4 months. I moved. Now it's 45min by bus or 35min by bike.

Probably never. There's an interesting regional custom there - everyone who offers a room or apartment to rent wans to be paid equivalent of 3-6 months of rent up front, NON-REFUNDABLE EVER. If it would be a deposit, it'd be understandable. But it's like paying for the privilege to move in and pay rent.

There's a better chance I'd study (and save money) for all the mess surrounding a driver's license here, and get a motorcycle. That'd at least help for the tram commute part.

Mind, it's still a chance that's below the statstical error margin.

• Wait, is that 3-6 months of rent in advance or is that in addition to rent?
    @Anonymouse said:

@C-Octothorpe said:

@Helix said:

my mum walked in on me

Only $5 for that? A bad day indeed.

@blakeyrat said:
    Bus would take 5+ hours instead of two, here buses are all old, and go through every tiny village in the region. The idea is that for fast travel to large(r) cities you take fast trains, for mediocre travel to small towns you take the regional train, and to get to Forgotten Dunghole (population: 3 and some cows) you take a bus.
    Also, marsmallows cooked over electrical fire reek of burned insulation. >.>

Although we also have busses that go to every little village, inter city busses are also used and faster than many trains. Trains are almost expected to be late, often times even in start. Hour long waits are expected, and I once had to wait about 5 hours for the train to START moving! Busses almost never start late and are never too late arriving, so I always go with busses when I can.

• @lolwtf said:

@Anonymouse said:
    @C-Octothorpe said:
    @Helix said:
    my mum walked in on me
    Only $5 for that? A bad day indeed.

Well, sock puppet show just aren't a good way to make big bucks in a hurry. It's more about the art.

• @Shinhan said:

Although we also have busses that go to every little village, inter city busses are also used and faster than many trains. Trains are almost expected to be late, often times even in start. Hour long waits are expected, and I once had to wait about 5 hours for the train to START moving! Busses almost never start late and are never too late arriving, so I always go with busses when I can.
    Well, it makes sense. Trains are subject to more external factors like varying levels of traffic, traffic lights, double-parked cars disturbing the circulation, and ...

...Wait a minute...

@dhromed said:

@bannedfromcoding said:

Probably never. There's an interesting regional custom there - everyone who offers a room or apartment to rent wans to be paid equivalent of 3-6 months of rent up front, NON-REFUNDABLE EVER. If it would be a deposit, it'd be understandable. But it's like paying for the privilege to move in and pay rent.
    There's a better chance I'd study (and save money) for all the mess surrounding a driver's license here, and get a motorcycle. That'd at least help for the tram commute part.
    Mind, it's still a chance that's below the statstical error margin.

Do not pay the last 3-6 months rent when you want to move out.  Assuming that you live in a country which has a legal framework in kicking out non-paying tenants.