Stop me if you've heard this one before

•  I came across this via a newspaper blog which made the story sound like "OMG Pentagon has new Orwellian powers to spy on us all!" But when you read the actual article, it starts to sound like what I read here every day: hotshot consultants promising big things... constantly expanding the scope of the project... but the only actual software produced after a year of "work" seems to be “200 lines of buggy Python code to do what imagery analysts do every day."

Exclusive: Inside Darpa's Secret Afghan Spy Machine

• "culling sources from multiple Agencies and Services” to produce “population-centric, cultural intelligence.” .... I do this every day. It's called an SQL query.

• And now my requisite TRWTF:

Did the definition of "culling" change while I wasn't looking? I thought it meant to select for removal, not to select for producing something useful.

• ♿ (Parody)

It sounds like they're trying to attack the intelligence analysis from interesting angles. Certainly it's worth trying to apply data mining techniques to all of the data that's being generated. Of course, it sounds like there's not much there there. Also, they sound like they were completely unprepared for the politics involved. Not to mention completely clueless about security. Even if they were really capable of delivering on all of their promises, technology wise, their organizational and interpersonal incompetence assures their failure without someone like Petraeus hand holding them the whole way.

• @superjer said:

And now my requisite TRWTF:

Did the definition of "culling" change while I wasn't looking? I thought it meant to select for removal, not to select for producing something useful.

Well, if you cull all the uninteresting bits, what's left is the useful data.

• @boomzilla said:

Not to mention completely clueless about security.

whats with pentagon and security ... i read somewhere that the predator drones still broadcast unencrypted signal ...