How to Display Vector Graphics

•  Somehow I ended up on the web page of a Georgia Tech restaurant's failed health inspection report. It looked like a typical web conversion of a printed document, until I reached the bottom.

Three questions:

•  What is the "proper" version of Java? I have the latest version; surely that would be the "proper" one since a few releases ago there was a security hole that allowed random websites to download files onto my computer without my knowledge...
    • Why do they need Java to display a signature of all things?
    • Why do they even need to display the signatures online? Is a hacker going to break into their website and upload a fake restaurant health report?
    I do Java programming for a hobby (sometimes that feels like TRWTF), so I couldn't resist looking at the applet's source code.

for (int i = 0; i < groups.length; i++) {
          XYs = groups[i].split("_");

if (XYs.length == 4) {
            int widthone = resizenum(Integer.parseInt(XYs[0]), this.reswidth);
            int heightone = resizenum(Integer.parseInt(XYs[1]), this.resheight);
            int widthtwo = resizenum(Integer.parseInt(XYs[2]), this.reswidth);
            int heighttwo = resizenum(Integer.parseInt(XYs[3]), this.resheight);

sig.drawLine(widthone, heightone, widthtwo, heighttwo);
          }
        }

I guess they don't have enough storage space for black and white image files, and server-side image generation was too difficult.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Every proper biometric (i.e. stores the stroke information) signature acquisition control I've ever used let you retrieve both the biometric data AND a rasterized image and came with instructions to store both.

Smells like hooptie-assed homegrown to me!

• @Z1_Jacob said:

I guess they don't have enough storage space for black and white image files, and server-side image generation was too difficult.

I'd guess that a vector graphic in the format x1_y1_x2_y2;x1_y1_x2_y2;… or whatever separates the "groups" will use more room to store than a black-and-white PNG file...

• With the rendering code included? I doubt it.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.