Clbuttic transit passes



  • From this site, someone at the MBTA got a little copy-and-paste happy on their transit passes:



  •  Yeah, "replace all" is a bitch sometimes 😃



  • :%s/[mM][aA][yY]/JUN/g
    :wq



  • Good ol' MBTA commuter rail...  The MBTA is like greece, perpetually on the brink of ruin. 



  • @DemonWasp said:

    :%s/MAY/JUN/gi


    :wq

    FTFY



  • How could this happen? Do they have a word document that they print onto the cards? Why would someone S&R when the card has a single instance of the month name? Why do you tickets costs almost twice as much as they do in the other place I've been? Nothing makes sense here.



  • @tOmcOlins said:

    How could this happen? Do they have a word document that they print onto the cards? Why would someone S&R when the card has a single instance of the month name? Why do you tickets costs almost twice as much as they do in the other place I've been? Nothing makes sense here.

    That's roughly what a 2-zone pass costs here in the Seattle area, sadly.



  • I usually think of this as "search-and-destroy" errors. I have seen it many times before, often in reports - terms like "gross aprgin" and such. The next month it was "gross maygin".



  • Well, at least that's closer. 🙂



  • @bezking said:

     Yeah, "replace all" is a bitch sometimes 😃

    Only when you don't select the "Whole words" option.



  • But may is a whole word.



  • Then select the "whole dates" option.



  • TRWTF is that you still can't use CharlieCards on the Commuter Rail.



  • @Someone You Know said:

    TRWTF is that you still can't use CharlieCards on the Commuter Rail.

    I was wondering about that. Seattle's transit sucks, but we have RFID cards that work in any bus, train, or ferry. And SoundTransit, Seattle Metro, Community Transit, and Everett Transit all hate each other.

    I would have assumed any east coast city would have gone RFID years ago.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Someone You Know said:

    TRWTF is that you still can't use CharlieCards on the Commuter Rail.

    I was wondering about that. Seattle's transit sucks, but we have RFID cards that work in any bus, train, or ferry. And SoundTransit, Seattle Metro, Community Transit, and Everett Transit all hate each other.

    I would have assumed any east coast city would have gone RFID years ago.

     

    Well, Boston did go RFID...somewhat. CharlieCards (which have RFIDs) work on all subways and buses, but not on boats or commuter rail trains. Subways and buses also accept paper tickets, but they try to discourage it by making it cost more to use a paper ticket than to use an RFID card.

    Oh, and all of this is run by the same company.



  • @Someone You Know said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @Someone You Know said:

    TRWTF is that you still can't use CharlieCards on the Commuter Rail.

    I was wondering about that. Seattle's transit sucks, but we have RFID cards that work in any bus, train, or ferry. And SoundTransit, Seattle Metro, Community Transit, and Everett Transit all hate each other.

    I would have assumed any east coast city would have gone RFID years ago.

     

    Well, Boston did go RFID...somewhat. CharlieCards (which have RFIDs) work on all subways and buses, but not on boats or commuter rail trains. Subways and buses also accept paper tickets, but they try to discourage it by making it cost more to use a paper ticket than to use an RFID card.

    Oh, and all of this is run by the same company.

    Seattle actually makes it more expensive to use the Orca Card, stupidly. The card costs $5 initially, and then rates are identical to cash. The services with paper tickets, ferries, light rail, commuter rail, use the same price for Orca users as paper ticket users. Buses still take cash.

    Now that said, if you want a monthly pass (which does offer some savings), you need an Orca card. But I don't buy monthly passes because I take the commuter rail one way (~$5) and the bus another ($3.50). So I'd have to buy a $5 pass, which would be more expensive than paying each fare individually.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Seattle actually makes it more expensive to use the Orca Card, stupidly. The card costs $5 initially, and then rates are identical to cash. The services with paper tickets, ferries, light rail, commuter rail, use the same price for Orca users as paper ticket users. Buses still take cash.

    DC is similar, but the only way to pay for parking at metro stations is with the SmartTrip card. AFAIK, there's no discount otherwise, although I ride infrequently enough that I really don't know. The parking thing came about after they discovered that the parking attendants were walking off with millions of dollars in cash each year. Then, there was some sort of deal where you could temporarily carry a negative balance, and people were milking that to effectively get at least free parking by tossing their cards away. I'm somewhat unclear on the exact details, and that might have been when they upped the fee to get a card.



  • I have an RFID that works in every bus and tram, but the trains just had to be all different so I can't use it there until I load their specific thing on the card.

    But it's awesome, generally.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @Someone You Know said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @Someone You Know said:

    TRWTF is that you still can't use CharlieCards on the Commuter Rail.

    I was wondering about that. Seattle's transit sucks, but we have RFID cards that work in any bus, train, or ferry. And SoundTransit, Seattle Metro, Community Transit, and Everett Transit all hate each other.

    I would have assumed any east coast city would have gone RFID years ago.

     

    Well, Boston did go RFID...somewhat. CharlieCards (which have RFIDs) work on all subways and buses, but not on boats or commuter rail trains. Subways and buses also accept paper tickets, but they try to discourage it by making it cost more to use a paper ticket than to use an RFID card.

    Oh, and all of this is run by the same company.

    Seattle actually makes it more expensive to use the Orca Card, stupidly. The card costs $5 initially, and then rates are identical to cash. The services with paper tickets, ferries, light rail, commuter rail, use the same price for Orca users as paper ticket users. Buses still take cash.

     

    Boston used to charge for the CharlieCards, but now they're free. However, it's not terribly obvious that they're free, nor is it immediately apparent how you can get one. Bus drivers and subway station staff sometimes have stacks of them that they'll give you, but you have to know that, and ask.So, even though they're free, generally only locals have them. Thus can the MBTA effectively charge tourists $0.30 more for a subway ride and $0.25 more for a bus ride.



  • You guys have public transportation? Maaan, what must that be like!

    But no time for daydreaming right now, I need to drive a half an hour into town to buy some groceries, bbl...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.