Directions to use a Water Cooler

• This happened in the midst of a sea (no pun intended) of developer cubicles...

A sign on the water cooler: "To dispense water, press spigot handle down; Do NOT attempt to turn it!"

Apparently, some genius had managed to unscrew it a turn or two and 5 gallons of water leaked onto and through the raised floor.

• @snoofle said:

This happened in the midst of a sea (no pun intended) of developer cubicles...

A sign on the water cooler: "To dispense water, press spigot handle down; Do NOT attempt to turn it!"

Apparently, some genius had managed to unscrew it a turn or two and 5 gallons of water leaked onto and through the raised floor.

Photo of spigot plix.

• Video or it didn't happen.

(a reenactment will suffice)

• It was a marketing guy, wasn't it?

• @snoofle said:

Hey, look, a watercooler luser!

• @Zecc said:

Video or it didn't happen.

(a reenactment will suffice is preferred)

FTFY

• [Request for video/pix]

Apparently whomever did it either couldn't read or chose to ignore the sign, as it "happened again". The next day, the water cooler was removed.

• Replaced with a trough?

The worst part about our water fountains here is the seat keeps falling on you when go for a drink.

• @snoofle said:

[Request for video/pix]

What?

no,

wait,

We're asking you to supply that imagery.

Ok, look, was it like this one?

Because then I can understand initial confusion as to the operation. UI error wins again.

And I can also understand how two people happily talking are too busy to notice a stupid sheet of paper, and make the mistake a second (though separate) time. It probably wasn't the same person.

• @dhromed said:

Ok, look, was it like this one?

Because then I can understand initial confusion as to the operation. UI error wins again.

I have encountered that type many times and the only "confusion" I had was the very first time when I wasn't sure if I should push down or pull up on the handle.  It turns out that in most cases either way works just fine.  It never once occured to me to "turn" anything.  There are many shitty UIs but sometimes the real problem is stupid people.

• @snoofle said:

So that's the famous "watercooler talk" you guys from the states keep talking about.

It all makes sense now.

• @dhromed said:

@snoofle said:

Photo of spigot plix.

• @C-Octothorpe said:

It was a marketing guy, wasn't it?

I submit that this only happens in offices full of tech people.  Business and marketing and admin types will work the spigot the way it's supposed to be worked, but only someone who's been exposed to one UI WTF after another would even think of a way of operating it in a manner that not only won't achieve the desired effect (really, the only effect such a device is meant to have), but that will actually disable the device while simultaneously causing collateral damage to everything in its immediate vicinity.

• @El_Heffe said:

I have encountered that type many times and the only "confusion" I had was the very first time when I wasn't sure if I should push down or pull up on the handle.  It turns out that in most cases either way works just fine.  It never once occured to me to "turn" anything.  There are many shitty UIs but sometimes the real problem is stupid people.

Dunno, this particular handle really looks like it's supposed to be turned.

• This is why all water dispensing equipment should have a grate nearby. You will get leaks, might as well plan for them.

• @El_Heffe said:

FTFY

•  what is it with americans and needing access to water EVERYWHERE - why not tea?

• @Helix said:

what is it with americans and needing access to water EVERYWHERE - why not tea?

Well, to be fair, you need water to make tea. So who is to say that we aren't making tea?

• @dohpaz42 said:

Well, to be fair, you need water to make tea. So who is to say that we aren't making tea?

Cold water.

That is some really shitty tea.

• @Helix said:

what is it with americans and needing access to water EVERYWHERE - why not tea?

Because tea tastes like crap.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.