Try printing this site



  • Try printing https://entropia.de/GPN11:Fahrplan

    …for future reference, this is what you should get: http://imgur.com/Rm5DI



  • Can't even be arsed to provide a translation, much less en explanation Oo

    Lemme translate: "To protect our politicians, you'll only be able to print this article from 0 to 4 AM CET/CEST. We apologize for any inconvinience."

    I got this exact result, although it is 3 AM CEST right now! The fuckers!

    I have no idea what this remark is about though. I don't really follow the news or politics. So once again, OP needs moar explanation.

    If you think the WTF is that the print version is something different than the browser version, you've probably never looked into CSS much. It's a feature, and a great one; albeit used too rarely. Most sites still have a link for a print version. I get mad every time I see something like that.



  • How dare you to try to print outside the allowed time interval?



  •  Seeing as it's from Chaos Computer Club, you do realize it's a parody of the ongoing security theater???



  • @topspin said:

     Seeing as it's from Chaos Computer Club, you do realize it's a parody of the ongoing security theater???

    Yeah, I've seen that it's CCC owned after I'd posted. Thought the same then, just don't know how exactly. The only way I can explain it is that they suggest politicians would find that schedule harmful, but CCC think it really isn't, so they conclude maybe it's only harmful to politicians, and that politicians don't print between 0 and 4 AM for some reason; still doesn't explain the certain time frame though. Maybe some leaked document outlined some governmental policy about not printing at night hours or something?



  • I think you put too much thought into that.

    IMO it's just a ridiculous arbitrary restriction spelling out that politicians have no clue what they're talking / making laws about when it comes to tech. That it looks totally random and doesn't have a point probably is the point.



  • German politicians are often called "Internetausdrucker" (ausdrucken = to print). It means that instead of actually using the web (surfing, sending e-mails, ...) they have a guy that prints their e-mail in the morning for the politician to read. If they need information from the internet, they ask that guy to google it and .. print it. And these guys are in charge of creating legislation for the internet, even though they have no clue what it is.

    So by blocking the print feature, the CCC obviously attempts to stop politicians from reading that page, as printing it out is the only way for them to read it. It's probably meant to be a joke. ;)



  • @Juifeng said:

    And these guys are in charge of creating legislation for the internet, even though they have no clue what it is.

    Feh. That would never happen here in the US! Our politicians know all about the series of tubes. It's not a truck, you know.

    I still smile to think about the Secret Service panicking when President Obama requested a smartphone. And the fact that, even in 2008, nobody else the Secret Service protected (which is a lot of politicians) had one, nor did they have policies in place for securing them.



  • @Juifeng said:

    German politicians are often called "Internetausdrucker"

    Thank you very much, that was the kind of information I was looking for. That way it makes enough sense to be a funny.

    Still not sure why the OP considered that a WTF. Because it's a bit goofy? Meh, it's CCC. Because he didn't know this was possible? Then he's TRWTF. Or maybe he thinks it's accidental behavior? What's so hard about explaining one's point in the OP?



  • It should have been easy to see that the print style site doesn't actually contain all neccessary information.

    While funny, it's just not usable that way.
    Also, the TRWTF is that the print style never changes. I've actually tried to print it during the advertised period and still got the same message.



  • @Juifeng said:

    German politicians are often called "Internetausdrucker" (ausdrucken = to print). It means that instead of actually using the web (surfing, sending e-mails, ...) they have a guy that prints their e-mail in the morning for the politician to read. If they need information from the internet, they ask that guy to google it and .. print it.


    Sounds like Don Knuth and Richard Stallman.

    No, seriously.



  • @topspin said:

    IMO it's just a ridiculous arbitrary restriction spelling out that politicians have no clue what they're talking / making laws about when it comes to tech.

    FTFY



  • @derula said:

    Most sites still have a link for a print version. I get mad every time I see something like that.
     

    I don't, because it's consistent with user expectations.

    Even if the typical user were aware that print-media CSS stylesheets can exist, they'd have no way of knowing if the page they're currently on has one.  And 25 years of WYSIWYG software design has conditioned them to expect that whatever they see on the screen will be replicated on the printed page--hotlinks, nav menus, banner ads and all.

    Granted, sites SHOULD have CSS for print, and on such sites the 'Print page' link shouldn't do anything but call window.print().  There's still a lot of bad implementations of print-friendliness out there.



  • @Rootbeer said:

    @derula said:

    Most sites still have a link for a print version. I get mad every time I see something like that.
     

    I don't, because it's consistent with user expectations.

    Even if the typical user were aware that print-media CSS stylesheets can exist, they'd have no way of knowing if the page they're currently on has one.  And 25 years of WYSIWYG software design has conditioned them to expect that whatever they see on the screen will be replicated on the printed page--hotlinks, nav menus, banner ads and all.

    Granted, sites SHOULD have CSS for print, and on such sites the 'Print page' link shouldn't do anything but call window.print().  There's still a lot of bad implementations of print-friendliness out there.

    Okay, I should have used a different formulation: I get mad every time I see a link for a print version and when you click it you will be brought to a separate page that looks more printer friendly and has a printer dialog either popping up on-load or requires the user to press another print button (which will then naturally be printed as well because the site author is clueless).



  • @derula said:

    I get mad every time I see a link for a print version and when you click it you will be brought to a separate page that looks more printer friendly and has a printer dialog either popping up on-load or requires the user to press another print button (which will then naturally be printed as well because the site author is clueless).
    But it sure is nice when you can send someone a link to an interesting article's clean print version instead of the ad-filled, paginated original.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.