Good Morning

• @DaveK said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Ilya Ehrenburg said:
    Yes, "We've been framed by Jericho!" doesn't make sense. But you seem to have missed a small detail: the line is "We've been framed, by Jericho!" which, while certainly not the best line ever (doesn't come near the wit of the original), does make sense.

Only if they were actually framed.

"Framed" has two meanings.  That's why it's a joke.

Well fucking duh.

But how does the crime-based meaning of "framed" lead to their ship sinking? That's why it doesn't make sense... neither meaning of the word "framed" makes sense in this context.

• @blakeyrat said:

@DaveK said:

@blakeyrat said:

@Ilya Ehrenburg said:
    Yes, "We've been framed by Jericho!" doesn't make sense. But you seem to have missed a small detail: the line is "We've been framed, by Jericho!" which, while certainly not the best line ever (doesn't come near the wit of the original), does make sense.

Only if they were actually framed.

"Framed" has two meanings.  That's why it's a joke.

Well fucking duh.

But how does the crime-based meaning of "framed" lead to their ship sinking? That's why it doesn't make sense... neither meaning of the word "framed" makes sense in this context.

I just made bacon salad with really lovely treacle-smoked back bacon and balsamic vinaigrette.  It was really nice.  Now I am happy :-) <- see, that's me, right now.  

• @blakeyrat said:

Hey, one meaning makes sense. Just that it's a random interjection in the dialogue, so it isn't really a pun.

• @blakeyrat said:

@__moz said:
    The detail you appear to be missing is that the joke here is based on a pastiche of a painting. If you do not recognise the painting, then you will not get the joke, you will not see the relevance of the dialogue to the situation, and you should just move onto the next frame.
    Hey shocker! Turns out I'm not a fucking retard.

It doesn't work that way. People saying random things for no reason doesn't make you "skip it and return to the story". Instead, it yanks the story bodily away, leaving you perplexed as to what the holy shit is going on and what that line of dialog has to do with anything and why that pirate even said it.

"Fucking retard" may not be an adequate characterisation of your behaviour, but there's clearly something strange going on if you expect every single thing you read to be simple enough for you to understand at first glance.

Other people don't feel the same way, so people can publish books like this and still sell millions of copies.

• @__moz said:

@blakeyrat said:
    @__moz said:
    The detail you appear to be missing is that the joke here is based on a pastiche of a painting. If you do not recognise the painting, then you will not get the joke, you will not see the relevance of the dialogue to the situation, and you should just move onto the next frame.
    Hey shocker! Turns out I'm not a fucking retard.

It doesn't work that way. People saying random things for no reason doesn't make you "skip it and return to the story". Instead, it yanks the story bodily away, leaving you perplexed as to what the holy shit is going on and what that line of dialog has to do with anything and why that pirate even said it.

"Fucking retard" may not be an adequate characterisation of your behaviour, but there's clearly something strange going on if you expect every single thing you read to be simple enough for you to understand at first glance.

Other people don't feel the same way, so people can publish books like this and still sell millions of copies.
    OK, but can you just explain one thing: what does the joke mean other than the picture-pun? I don't know why you're having so much trouble with that idea. It's just a random interjection to the dialogue that makes no sense.

• @intertravel said:

OK, but can you just explain one thing: what does the joke mean other than the picture-pun? I don't know why you're having so much trouble with that idea. It's just a random interjection to the dialogue that makes no sense.

Seriously. What does being framed have to do with their ship sinking? Is "By Jericho!" an exclamation that people actually say somewhere in the world?

Why would a kid's book include a joke no kid would get?

• @blakeyrat said:

Seriously. What does being framed have to do with their ship sinking?
    Exactly. That's why I'm agreeing with you.@blakeyrat said:
    Is "By Jericho!" an exclamation that people actually say somewhere in the world?
    Yes. Or at least, it was. It's commonly used as an exclamation in the books, if I remember rightly.

@blakeyrat said:

They often do.

• @blakeyrat said:

For the parents reading the books to their children.

If you can lay your hands on  a copy of "The last man alive" by A.S. Neill, that one's pretty full of such.

• @blakeyrat said:

Seriously. What does being framed have to do with their ship sinking?

They were "framed", as in falsely accused, and the sinking of their ship is the punishment to which they were convicted based on the false accusation.  Yes, there wasn't actually a trial scene; the pirate is using metaphor, he feels as if he has been falsely accused and unjustly punished.

@blakeyrat said:

Is "By Jericho!" an exclamation that people actually say somewhere in the world?

I'm sure I already explained that.  It's something they say all the time in the Asterix books.  Yes, you have to be familiar with the tropes of the series before the joke will mean much to you.

@blakeyrat said:

Because it's only grown-ups who would be so bothered by their own failure-to-get-the-joke that they would go and tell the whole world on a web board how they had failed to get it - and then blame the rest of the world for not being obvious enough.  One thing I remember about being a kid was expecting not to get jokes a lot of the time.  I got the simple bit of the joke, wondered why it was worded that particular way, but just shrugged my shoulders and got on with the rest of the book.  Years later, I got the second part of the joke.

It's the delayed punchlines that are the best. 

• ♿ (Parody)

@DaveK said:

Yes, you have to be familiar with the tropes of the series before the joke will mean much to you.

What, do you think he's TELEPATHIC or something?

@DaveK said:

Years later, I got the second part of the joke.

It's the delayed punchlines that are the best.

I enjoy this sort of thing rewatching stuff like Looney Toons with my kids. Also, if you watch, say, Disney cartoons, like Toy Story, etc, there's a ton of stuff in there that goes right over kids heads, but keeps the parents interested, or at least able to tolerate it. Still, the telepathically challenged children enjoy them.

• @boomzilla said:

@DaveK said:
    Yes, you have to be familiar with the tropes of the series before the joke will mean much to you.

What, do you think he's TELEPATHIC or something?

I DEMAND BLAKEYRAT DEVELOP TELEPATHY!  RIGHT NOW!