Duke Nukem Finally

•  Duke Nukem Forever has apparently been releashed. Well, there you have it then, the end of an era.

• 🚽 Regular

• And idiots are buying it, proving once more why we can not have nice things.

BTW, Waterworld broke even. As far as flops go, its not very impressive.

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

BTW, Waterworld broke even. As far as flops go, its not very impressive.

I chose Waterworld because it was one of the most expensive movies produced at the time, while receiving at best mixed reviews. I am positive Duke Nukem Forever will recoup its expenses (as you say, idiots are buying it) despite the mediocre reviews it has received so far. Perhaps "flop" is the incorrect term. Maybe I should say disappointment, or overhyped disaster that perhaps even beat out the Segway in terms of anticipation leading to failure to all but idiots.

• I would have bought it back then, but unfortunately, I'm too old now. Not too old to play such games, but to old to buy them when the reviews are substellar.

• Garbage Person

Oddly enough, I'd decided in the harsh daylight of reality not to buy it because it represents too big of an opportunity cost - in the 8 hours or so it takes to beat most modern FPS's I can extract FAR more enjoyment out of tinkering with my bloody race car (although that's generally far more expensive on a per-hour basis). And then some dick on Steam gifted it to me. Now I'm obligated to give it a fair shot. Fuck.

That said, I tend to discount metacritic's value pretty heavily. Not because I disagree with them, but because as a creator I resent people telling me what I should be doing. And a quick sampling of the metacritic quotes shows that the primary complaint is "OMFG SHIT GRAPHICS" - which I don't care about - and "muddled gameplay" - which sounds just like what I think about every game that's developed using other games metacritic scores as a design reference.

• @Weng said:

my bloody race car

You... you run over people?

• @dhromed said:

@Weng said:

my bloody race car

You... you run over people?

I wager a round of Crackdown would be a lot more fun than Duke Nukem Forever.

• @RHuckster said:

So far, on Metacritic, it's looking like the most overbudgeted flop since Waterworld.
    Which is not the least bit surprising.  Any product that is "coming soon" for umpteen years will always be a disappointment.