This explains a lot about labview (Lotus Notes strikes again)



  • Some background: we are moving from XP to 7 at our office, and IT mailed me a shiny new computer with everything I asked for (NVidia graphics card, 4GB DDR3 RAM, i5 Proc, etc) and they put x86 on it .... The reasoning was simple - the executives spend all of their time using Outlook and 2010 64-bit is apparently buggy, so we stuck with 32-bit everything. The problem was, this leaves me with over a gig of unaddressable ram ... so I'm researching the switch to 64-bit to see what software I need to run in emulation mode and what can run native 64-bit. One of the pages I ran into during my resarch was this:

     [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/labviewwebsitewtf.png/][IMG]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/8966/labviewwebsitewtf.png[/IMG][/URL]

    I'm almost don't even want to know why ....

    Edit: I did actually find out my answer, and it's compatible, but it only took like 20 google searches: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/10383.



  • You installed a 32-bit OS because a program which is available for 32-bit OSes is unstable in the 64-bit build? Why not just run the x86 Outlook 2010 under 64-bit? Anyway, I personally run everything as 32 unless it's likely to hit the RAM limit (such as Max when baking) because as far as I can tell there's no performance penalty and given pointers are half as long in 32-bit you're probably saving quite a bit of memory in some cases.



  • @nexekho said:

    You installed a 32-bit OS because a program which is available for 32-bit OSes is unstable in the 64-bit build? Why not just run the x86 Outlook 2010 under 64-bit?

    Yes, but then the frames wouldn't mediate securely. It's for security reasons, you know?



  • @nexekho said:

    You installed a 32-bit OS because a program which is available for 32-bit OSes is unstable in the 64-bit build? Why not just run the x86 Outlook 2010 under 64-bit?
    Exactly what I said to IT.



  • Haha, yeah, that's a pretty big WTF. What's the picture for though?



  • @Power Troll said:

    Haha, yeah, that's a pretty big WTF. What's the picture for though?

    Using Lotus Notes as a web server is the real WTF here.

    The stuff about 64-bit applications is just a wild goose chase.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The stuff about 64-bit applications is just a wild goose chase.
     

    I just now realized that The Secret of Kells starts with a wild goose chase. An actual one.



  • @dhromed said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    The stuff about 64-bit applications is just a wild goose chase.
     

    I just now realized that The Secret of Kells starts with a wild goose chase. An actual one.

    I've been meaning to see that film. What did you think of it?

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Using Lotus Notes is the real WTF here.
     

    /thread

     



  • Office 2010 64bit isn't buggy, it's just not compatible with 99% of extensions out there, since they're 32bit. Which is why Microsoft recommends installing 32bit Office 2010 even on 64bit Windows (which works perfectly), unless you intend to work on Excel tables larger than 2GB.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The stuff about 64-bit applications is just a wild goose chase.
    The back story was meant to explain why I was even on Labview's website to begin with - after all, who goes there willingly?

    @ender said:

    Office 2010 64bit isn't buggy, it's just not compatible with 99% of extensions out there, since they're 32bit. Which is why Microsoft recommends installing 32bit Office 2010 even on 64bit Windows (which works perfectly), unless you intend to work on Excel tables larger than 2GB.
    Ah so it's Adobe's fault - I knew I'd find a way to blame it on them!



  • @ender said:

    unless you intend to work on Excel tables larger than 2GB.
    shudder

    I pray my co-workers never find out that is possible.



  • I know, guys, I know... I was just trying to be funny, you know? By seeing the first blob of text and saying "wow, that's a big WTF" then by saying "what's the picture for" I thought that... ah well.



  • @ender said:

    Office 2010 64bit isn't buggy, it's just not compatible with 99% of extensions out there, since they're 32bit. Which is why Microsoft recommends installing 32bit Office 2010 even on 64bit Windows (which works perfectly), unless you intend to work on Excel tables larger than 2GB.
     

    Advantage #83472 of open-source software -- you can create hideously large tables, while still using the three or four extensions availible for OpenOffice, if you can compile them.



  • @TheChewanater said:

    Advantage #83472 of open-source software -- you can create hideously large tables, while still using the three or four extensions availible for OpenOffice, if you can compile them.

    You can, but no open source fan will ever help you do it. Because if you ask them, they'll mock you for putting that much data in a spreadsheet and demand you use a proper database program.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @TheChewanater said:
    Advantage #83472 of open-source software -- you can create hideously large tables, while still using the three or four extensions availible for OpenOffice, if you can compile them.

    You can, but no open source fan will ever help you do it. Because if you ask them, they'll mock you for putting that much data in a spreadsheet and demand you use a proper database program.


    OTOH, they're probably right.



  • @Zecc said:

    I've been meaning to see that film. What did you think of it?
     

    It has great art, and is animated in an awesome way. The story overall is good and creative.

    It's not a very complex or mature narrative though; there are plot holes; crucial things remain unexplained; sometimes the motivation of character obviously isn't clear. It's a children's movie, for certain. The absence of blood is a strong hint of that.

    So, primarily, go see it for the art. If you're like me, you'll find plenty of joy to extract from that alone.

    [RECOMENDED]


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.