Person  |  Amount
    -------------------------
     Alice    |    5
     Bob     |    10
     Bob     |    15
     Chad   |    20
     David  |    30
    few thousand rows of that

And you wanted to get results in a certain format, for only certain values of "Person":

Total   | Alice  | Bob | Chad
    --------------------------------------
      50     |   5      |  25   |   20

Hopefully, your SQL would not look like this:

SELECT
    IFNULL(SUM(IF(Person IN ("Alice", "Bob", "Chad"),Amount,NULL)),0) AS "Total",

IFNULL(SUM(IF(Provider="Alice",Amount,NULL)), 0) AS "Alice",
    IFNULL(SUM(IF(Provider="Bob",Amount,NULL)), 0) AS "Bob",
    IFNULL(SUM(IF(Provider="Chad",Amount,NULL)), 0) AS "Chad",
    ..... (more rows follow)

FROM table

• Poor database design such as that means that crap SQL queries are needed.

• IMO it's the job of the application to format the data as necessary, no need to abuse the database.

• @alias said:

Poor database design such as that means that crap SQL queries are needed.

Also perhaps poor display design.

I mean, the data is stored in that direction, but the display of it is 90° rotated. Why not just keep the vertical layout?

• I'm guessing this is probably access, but the basic idea looks a lot like the only way to do pivot tables in SQL Server prior to 2005. As to changing the application, well maybe its a 3rd part application which can't be changed?

• Crosstab queries have traditionally been a pain in straight SQL.  If this is MSSQL 2005, take a look at PIVOT, as it designed for this.  If not, you could use dynamic SQL rather than that mess.

Unless this is a contrived example, I'm not sure I'd display the data this way.  I can understand if the columns are constant (months, quarters, sales territories). I'd display the data another way or use the UI/Reporting module to format the data.

Larry

• PIVOT is a nice addition to SQL, but it really only works for trivial examples.  I can't think of any good repoting tool that would be happy with a variable number of columns being returned from the data source.

90% of the time pivoting is a UI issue.  Do a GROUP BY query to get the data and then dynamically design the report taking into account the number of groups returned.  The other 10% of the time can be taken care of by returning a pivoted result set and making a simple HTML table out of them or binding to a generic (no specific column definitions) DataGrid.  If the query language doesn't do pivots, then dynamically build the query.  And yes, it will look a lot like the given query.

• @dhromed said:

I mean, the data is stored in that direction, but the display of it is 90° rotated. Why not just keep the vertical layout?

Or, indeed, run the query vertically, then append columns rather than appending rows to get the horizontal layout...

• @random_garbage said:

@dhromed said:

Or, indeed, run the query vertically, then append columns rather than appending rows to get the horizontal layout...

You know those fancy LCD monitors you can rotate?

That'd be [i]perfect[/i]! :)

• There are actually books about exactly this type of query.  For example:

An example query:
    http://www.stephenforte.net/owDasBlog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=2b0532fc-4318-4ac0-a405-15d6d813eeb8

The benifit is, in some circumstances, you can generate reports in a single pass at the database.

• Actually, that SELECT CASE..END, CASE...END, CASE...END, CASE...END, etc is the appropriate way to handle that in SQL Server <= 2000, and, as far as I know, Postgres or MySQL.  Oracle probably has built in pivot support.

The only other option is to create the table, and then run N updates, one for each column.  This is probably going to be slower than the first option, even if it looks prettier.