Netgear - Did you really want to submit a query?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Trying to remotely admin my home router, I got this:







    Now those buttons should read "Add," "Edit service," "Delete service," and "Add custom service."



    The other WTF, is that, I want (say) port 8022 to forward to port 22 on a separate box (since I already have a DMZ'd box that will answer on port 22.) Will they let you do that? Will they fuck.



    Why can't they just give you a simple interface to iptables?



  • Looks like they forgot to add value fields to the buttons and that's the default browser text for submit buttons.



  • That must be one crowded house to need an LDAP.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @boomzilla said:

    That must be one crowded house to need an LDAP.
    It's externally facing, not internal only. The WTF being work don't "currently" have the hardware available to run an LDAP server so I can test something I've been working on.



    So I set one up at home. Not that it helped in this instance.



  • Desktop? Desktop Desktop Desktop, Desktop Desktop! Submit Query? Desktop Desktop...



  • @PJH said:

    The other WTF, is that, I want (say) port 8022 to forward to port 22 on a separate box (since I already have a DMZ'd box that will answer on port 22.) Will they let you do that? Will they fuck.
     

    We are going through something similar at the moment with Thomson Wireless AP and ADSL routers. I think it is the difference between a network device for home and a network device for a real office (and probably also the difference of a couple of hundred dollars).

     



  • @havokk said:

    We are going through something similar at the moment with Thomson Wireless AP and ADSL routers. I think it is the difference between a network device for home and a network device for a real office (and probably also the difference of a couple of hundred dollars).
    Yeah, most of those more expensive routers don't offer the functionality that the 20€ ones have.



  • This is where the custom firmware is almost always better than standard firmware. Here's a screenshot from Tomato firmware:

    You could easily forward external port 8022 to internal port 22, too.



  • @PJH said:

    The other WTF, is that, I want (say) port 8022 to forward to port 22 on a separate box (since I already have a DMZ'd box that will answer on port 22.) Will they let you do that? Will they fuck.



    Why can't they just give you a simple interface to iptables?
    You should be able to telnet into the router and do it from there. I forget the details - I think you may need to download a tool to enable telnet before you can do so, but since you need to do that to hack the firmware a lot of the time anyway...


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.