Trolling as Means of Advertisement

• This is the most fucked up thing I have ever seen. This guy made a website in which he sold eyeglasses, but provides horrible service. Sometimes he wouldn't deliver, sometimes the stuff was counterfeit, along with other problems. But according to him, that was intentional - when people complain about him in other sites, he gets ranked higher in search engines, and thus gets free advertisement

“Hello, My name is Stanley with DecorMyEyes.com,” the post began. “I just wanted to let you guys know that the more replies you people post, the more business and the more hits and sales I get. My goal is NEGATIVE advertisement.”

Full Story.

He would also charge more than the prices listed in his online store, and threaten people who made chargebacks. I read somewhere that he went to court because of that and recently pleaded guilty.

Discuss.

• Old saying: "any press is good press"

•  An interesting social experiment.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]Discuss.[/quote] You know the sex offender registry they have in the US? Well, what we need is a prick registry. People found to be complete and utter pricks are added to it for a life so we know who they are.

It really is the only way.

• [quote user="Renan "C#" Sousa"]

This is the most fucked up thing I have ever seen. This guy made a website in which he sold eyeglasses, but provides horrible service. Sometimes he wouldn't deliver, sometimes the stuff was counterfeit, along with other problems. But according to him, that was intentional - when people complain about him in other sites, he gets ranked higher in search engines, and thus gets free advertisement

“Hello, My name is Stanley with DecorMyEyes.com,” the post began. “I just wanted to let you guys know that the more replies you people post, the more business and the more hits and sales I get. My goal is NEGATIVE advertisement.”

Full Story.

He would also charge more than the prices listed in his online store, and threaten people who made chargebacks. I read somewhere that he went to court because of that and recently pleaded guilty.

Discuss.

[/quote] I read about this a few months ago, but I got the impression that he didn't actually start out with this "business model" deliberately.  It was more like he was a shitty crooked businessman, people started using the Internet to complain but instead trying to be more honest he realized that he was getting lots of free publciity so he just stayed with business-as-usual.