How many languages you know?



  • I know C and Java and little bits C++.

    I take two courses one for VB and one for Oracle Pl/SQL, but I do not know both of them.



  • C/GLSL/VB(6 era)/Basic(Quick+Dark)/UScript(kind of a language, mostly a mess)/AS3.

    And of course before someone else gets a chance to say it, the obligatory English.



  •  English, Dutch, and a hodgepodge of other bits of languages.



  • Ohhh, you mean computer languages

    Let us see, ASM, Basic (only the faintest memories remain...), Pascal, Delphi (they are not the same), C/C++, Java (only until c# came up), C#

    And the webcrap which I don't do very often although I used to teach.... html, asp, asp.net, javascript, php besides a couple of convoluted frameworks that are almost a language

    Also TSQL.

    I'm thinking about learning F# (I already read some tutorials and stuff)  but I don't know if it will be worth my time and effort



  • @dhromed said:

     English, Dutch, and a hodgepodge of other bits of languages.

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?



  • @nexekho said:

    C/GLSL/VB(6 era)/Basic(Quick+Dark)/UScript(kind of a language, mostly a mess)/AS3.

    And of course before someone else gets a chance to say it, the obligatory English.

    Never hard of UScript!



  • @Nagesh said:

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?
     

    It's fairly silly, but the language we speak in The Netherlands is called "Dutch".

    Yep.



  • Uscript is the scripting language of the unreal engine.

    I know c++, Java,c#,c,python,bash,glsl,bits of lips and Haskell, and MIPS assembly.



  • @delta534 said:

    bits of lips

    That seems yummy, related to LISP perhaps?



  • It's quite obvious that most of us here have experience with a decent range of languages. What's the worst language WTF you've discovered? Mine is that in UScript, when defining objects if you use spaces around the equals sign it throws a totally incomprehensible error even though you can use as much whitespace as you want anywhere else.



  • Yes minor typo that I did not catch.



  • @dhromed said:

    @Nagesh said:

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?
     

    It's fairly silly, but the language we speak in The Netherlands is called "Dutch".

    Yep.

    Sorry for confusion.

    I find today Nehterlands = Holland. Are you in Amerstadam, red-light capital of west world?


  • I don't feel I "know" any languages. JavaScript has been my bread and butter for like 6 years now, and I still learn new things about it.

    As for languages I've used... oh man... lessee, in rough order: C-64 BASIC, Tandy PC-8 BASIC, C (THINK C 5.0), TI-85 BASIC, AppleScript, HyperTalk, C++, RealBasic, Runtime Revolution, JavaScript, ActionScript, VB6, VB.NET, C#.NET, MySQL SQL (whatever it's called), T-SQL (the SQL Server variant), some Lua, some Ruby... probably more I can't think of at the moment.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    I don't feel I "know" any languages.
    This.

    .Anyway, here's the dump from my unannotated, technical resume sorted by comfort level

    C#
    T-SQL
    Java
    VB.net
    PHP
    Javascript
    Python
    Bash
    Make (can we call makefiles a fucking language yet?)
    C++
    HLSL
    Perl







  • Including English, none.



  • @Nagesh said:

    @dhromed said:

    @Nagesh said:

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?
     

    It's fairly silly, but the language we speak in The Netherlands is called "Dutch".

    Yep.

    Sorry for confusion.

    I find today Nehterlands = Holland. Are you in Amerstadam, red-light capital of west world?

    It is confusing.  Wikipedia says:

    "Holland is a name in common usage given to a region in the western part of the Netherlands. The term Holland is also frequently used to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage is generally accepted but nevertheless unofficial and disliked by many Dutch people in the other parts of the Netherlands."

     



  • @dhromed said:

    @Nagesh said:

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?
     

    It's fairly silly, but the language we speak in The Netherlands is called "Dutch".

    Yep.

    Isn't "Dutch" just "Deutch" where the W's aren't V's yet?



  • @frits said:

    @dhromed said:

    @Nagesh said:

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?
     

    It's fairly silly, but the language we speak in The Netherlands is called "Dutch".

    Yep.

    In the 1800's German immigrants in Pennsylvania became known as "Pennsylvania Dutch" because people thought they were saying "Dutch" when they were actually sayng "Deutsch"

     

    Isn't "Dutch" just "Deutch" where the W's aren't V's yet?

     

     



  • @frits said:

    @dhromed said:

    @Nagesh said:

    Dutch? Are you saying Deutsche which is German?
     

    It's fairly silly, but the language we speak in The Netherlands is called "Dutch".

    Yep.

    Isn't "Dutch" just "Deutch" where the W's aren't V's yet?

    From what I've heard, Dutch isn't a language at all - it's a throat disease.


  •  OMIKRON BASIC, QBASIC (these two on ATARI 1040STF, years ago, hardly "programming" but first contact with it)

    Then later Java, VB6, VB.NET, RPG-IV/RPG-V, PostgreSQL, MySQL SQL, and the web "package", (X)HTML, CSS, Javascript, AJAX, PHP, ...

     But mainly Java, Javascript.

    (And yes, I know, HTML and CSS aren't programming languages, and AJAX neither...)



  • @toshir0 said:

     OMIKRON BASIC, QBASIC (these two on ATARI 1040STF, years ago, hardly "programming" but first contact with it)

    Then later Java, VB6, VB.NET, RPG-IV/RPG-V, PostgreSQL, MySQL SQL, and the web "package", (X)HTML, CSS, Javascript, AJAX, PHP, ...

     But mainly Java, Javascript.

    (And yes, I know, HTML and CSS aren't programming languages, and AJAX neither...)

    Get increasing confusing to put section in resume. So we get to put 3 section.

    1) Operating System:
    2) Programing Language:
    3) Database:

    Now where to put Ajax and HTML and CSS? Also is anyone caring about HTML and CSS? If you work on scripting all time like skedule scripts and network admin, which section to use?

  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Nagesh said:

    Get increasing confusing to put section in resume.
    So we get to put 3 section.

    1) Operating System:
    2) Programing Language:
    3) Database:
    My personal preference is to leave the buzzword list off my resume altogether, unless it's the version I hand to an agent.


  • @El_Heffe said:

    The term Holland is also frequently used to refer to the whole of the Netherlands. This usage is generally accepted but nevertheless unofficial and disliked by many Dutch people in the other parts of the Netherlands.
     

    HAH! So true! I thought I was the only one.

    I just think "Holland" elicits images of ye olde golden age Holland, a rather outdated vision. The modern name is The Netherlands, which sounds much better.

    Because The Netherlands is a pain to type, I usually write Dutchland in an attempt at pith and mirth.



  • Dutch and german are closely related but far from the same. 

    At some point the german spoken in germany  switched to something called high german. Meanwile in the netherlands, because of the trading I assume, we incorportated a lot of english and some french.
    Fast forward a few hundred years and you have dutch and german.

    I think the original base language was called dietch or something.



  • @Weng said:

    Bash
    I've worked on a couple of simple bash scripts but I don't put it on my resume, because if I did they might make me code in it.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    In the 1800's German immigrants in Pennsylvania became known as "Pennsylvania Dutch" because people thought they were saying "Dutch" when they were actually sayng "Deutsch"

     

    Those are my people; at least mostly.  I was born in lancaster, Pa., and have a surname that's only common there.  I'm not sure if we were "Fancy Dutch", Amish, or Mennonites because all the old people in my family don't know anything except how much they hate Amishmen now.



  •  do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?



  • @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    This is what Wikipedia says and I can vouch for its validity:

    Locally, Lancaster is pronounced  /ˈlæŋkɨstər/ langk-iss-tər, rather than the wider American pronunciation /ˈlæn.kæstər/ lan-kast-ər.

    Of course, we say everything a little differently than the rest of the country. 



  • @frits said:

    @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    This is what Wikipedia says and I can vouch for its validity:

    Locally, Lancaster is pronounced  /ˈlæŋkɨstər/ langk-iss-tər, rather than the wider American pronunciation /ˈlæn.kæstər/ lan-kast-ər.

    Of course, we say everything a little differently than the rest of the country. 

    "Americans" is a pretty wide net. Here on the west coast, I've never heard it said "lancashire." Then again, I've never heard the word at all except in relation to the town in England, or the WWII heavy bomber.



  • @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    Eh? Lancaster, pronounced as spelled, is a town in Lancashire, also pronounced as spelled.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @intertravel said:

    @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    Eh? Lancaster, pronounced as spelled, is a town in Lancashire, also pronounced as spelled.
    They're probably getting confused with towns like Bicester and Towcester.



  • @PJH said:

    @intertravel said:
    @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    Eh? Lancaster, pronounced as spelled, is a town in Lancashire, also pronounced as spelled.
    They're probably getting confused with towns like Bicester and Towcester.
     

    Or Leicester.

     



  • @RTapeLoadingError said:

    @PJH said:

    @intertravel said:
    @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    Eh? Lancaster, pronounced as spelled, is a town in Lancashire, also pronounced as spelled.
    They're probably getting confused with towns like Bicester and Towcester.
     

    Or Leicester.

     

    Or Glasgow.



  • West coast is the best coast. LanKASTER. One love.



  • @RTapeLoadingError said:

    @PJH said:

    @intertravel said:
    @stratos said:

     do american's pronounce lancaster, lancashire?

    Eh? Lancaster, pronounced as spelled, is a town in Lancashire, also pronounced as spelled.
    They're probably getting confused with towns like Bicester and Towcester.
     

    Or Leicester.

    Or Worcestershire.



  • I have made programs with programming languages: C, (Enhanced) CWEB, TeX, METAFONT, ZZT, MegaZeux, Forth, Javascript, PHP, Brainfuck, shell scripts, AWK, assembly language, machine codes, Visual Basic (classic), dc, TI-92, INTERCAL, and even more.



  • @zzo38 said:

    Brainfuck
    @zzo38 said:
    INTERCAL

    You're just trying to see if we're paying attention.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @zzo38 said:
    INTERCAL

    You're just trying to see if we're paying attention.

    PLEASE COME FROM TDWTF



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @zzo38 said:
    Brainfuck
    @zzo38 said:
    INTERCAL

    You're just trying to see if we're paying attention.

    Actually I have written program in brainfuck and INTERCAL (mostly just for practice, although I have also written a preprocessor for brainfuck and a hangman game with that preprocessor). I have even written two small programs in Java, because I wanted a command-line program to access specific functions, which I could find easily available in Java libraries (specifically, the Apache POIFS library). And I have used many more programming languages too. I have used Python for designing a few card games, and later made a modification to a drive-wiping script written in Python, for Free Geek Vancouver. I have even made modifications to Perl and Ruby programs too. I have used QBASIC for making some computer games. But for most of my programs (including large ones such as TeXnicard), I prefer the use of (Enhanced) CWEB.



  • @zzo38 said:

    Actually I have written program in brainfuck and INTERCAL (mostly just for practice,

    Practicing writing shitty programs with shitty tools originally intended as jokes and only actually implemented because computer geeks have no sense of humor? ... why would you want to practice that?

    Also stop promoting your shitty TeX program. Yes, we get it. You write a TeX program. You are our hero. Now shut up about it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @zzo38 said:
    Actually I have written program in brainfuck and INTERCAL (mostly just for practice,

    Practicing writing shitty programs with shitty tools originally intended as jokes and only actually implemented because computer geeks have no sense of humor? ... why would you want to practice that?

    Because I have some insanity (and also sanity, too). What do you think?????????????????????????????????????????

    your shitty TeX program.
    Do you think it is shitty TeX program?


  • Goes and looks up TeX

    Really?  People use that?



  • @zzo38 said:

    your shitty TeX program.
    Do you think it is shitty TeX program?

    Well, I'm just assuming, based on the fact that you:

    1) linked directly to the source code in that post
    2) tell people to not email for support, but instead join an IRC(!!!) channel (on its official page)

    that you're not exactly a whiz at user interface design. Maybe I'm wrong, and the program is some masterpiece of quality... but I doubt it.



  • @frits said:

    Goes and looks up TeX

    Really?  People use that?

    Yes. I use that, and so do other people. Most people that use it use LaTeX (or XePDFeLaTeX or whatever), but I (and a few others) prefer Plain TeX.


  • @zzo38 said:

    Most people that use it use LaTeX (or XePDFeLaTeX or whatever)

    Yeah... obviously most people use thing nobody except open source freaks have ever heard of.

    What do you think the phrase "most people" means?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Well, I'm just assuming, based on the fact that you:

    1) linked directly to the source code in that post
    2) tell people to not email for support, but instead join an IRC(!!!) channel (on its official page)

    that you're not exactly a whiz at user interface design. Maybe I'm wrong, and the program is some masterpiece of quality... but I doubt it.

    I linked to the code to notice it as an example, in case you are wondering what it is. Yes it is IRC, and it has public logs of all messages sent to the channel. But I think even TDWTF has IRC? About user interface design, well, this program doesn't have GUI (unlike Magic Set Editor, which was designed with GUI); although it is possible to write external program that accesses it that have GUI if you want to do so.


  • @blakeyrat said:

    @zzo38 said:
    Most people that use it use LaTeX (or XePDFeLaTeX or whatever)

    Yeah... obviously most people use thing nobody except open source freaks have ever heard of.

    What do you think the phrase "most people" means?

    I know what it means, but here I qualified it more restrictively: "Most people that use it" are the ones that use LaTeX, not "most people" in general.


  • @zzo38 said:

    I know what it means, but here I qualified it more restrictively: "Most people that use it" are the ones that use LaTeX, not "most people" in general.

    Oh yeah, I totally misread that. Oh well, taunting is taunting.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @zzo38 said:
    Most people that use it use LaTeX (or XePDFeLaTeX or whatever)

    Yeah... obviously most people use thing nobody except open source typesetting / academic paper writing freaks have ever heard of.


    FTFY



  • In order of comfort:

     C#, VB6, PHP, VB.NET, Python,javascript,VBScript,C,C++, and a little x86 Assembly (which perhaps ironically I've only ever used in VB6...), probably some other stuff I can't be bothered to mention (PHP sort of implies HTML and CSS to some degree, I would think as well)

     

     

     

     

     @zzo38 said:

    although it is possible to write external program that accesses it that have GUI if you want to do so.

     

    Why is that always how stuff is done with open source systems? Create some hard to use command-line program with a bajillion command-line options, then when people complain about ease of use some other person makes an ill-thought out GUI from hell that basically just let's you choose what switches to run the command-line program with, and call it a solved problem.(case and point: nmap and zenmap). How about they do, you know, what most normal developers would do and make the functionality a library- then have that console program access the library directly and have the GUI program access that library directly. And then the command line program can show the results from calls to that library as text and the GUI can use it appropriately for it's various UI elements, without ridiculously unnecessary parsing of the output of some command. a command line tool is not a "library" but they seem to get treated as such an awful lot sometimes.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.