Gimp 2.7.2 Splash Screen



  •  

    As we can see here, Wilber (the GIMP mascot) is preparing for  bondage with a female GNU.

     

    What the fuck.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Probably NSFW. And really, it's about time this team finally admitted how utterly terrible their chosen acronym actually is.



  • Meh. It's like they've only just got their own joke.

    The name "GIMP" probably seemed really funny at the time, but I know from personal experience that some folks are immediately put off using it because of the name - I literally know people who'd rather use MS Paint, because at least the name doesn't imply something that they're not comfortable thinking about... sigh



  • Is it worth to upgrade to gimp 2.7.2 from 2.6.11.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Sudo said:

    The name "GIMP" probably seemed really funny at the time, but I know from personal experience that some folks are immediately put off using it because of the name - I literally know people who'd rather use MS Paint, because at least the name doesn't imply something that they're not comfortable thinking about... sigh
    Hell, I'm perfectly comfortable with it. However, I'll stick to my insanely expensive Adobe suite because Adobe doesn't use their software titles to be cute and witty. (Is GIMP still Gnu Image Manipulation Program, or has the obvious and inevitable rename to GIMP Image Manipulation Program happened?)



  • @Weng said:

    (Is GIMP still Gnu Image Manipulation Program, or has the obvious and inevitable rename to GIMP Image Manipulation Program happened?)
     

    It's the GNU Image Manipulation Program. Which isn't really the worst name of a GTK+ project.



  • @TheChewanater said:

    @Weng said:

    (Is GIMP still Gnu Image Manipulation Program, or has the obvious and inevitable rename to GIMP Image Manipulation Program happened?)
     

    It's the GNU Image Manipulation Program. Which isn't really the worst name of a GTK+ project.

    My personal favorite is the linux distro they named GNuisance. (Well, ok, they spell it "NewSense".)

    EDIT: I swear I made a thread on an earlier GIMP splash screen, that featured their mutant creature painting a nude of itself... and was extremely disturbing... but I can't for the life of me find the thread, and neither can Google. So shrug.



  • @Sudo said:

    Meh. It's like they've only just got their own joke.

    The name "GIMP" probably seemed really funny at the time, but I know from personal experience that some folks are immediately put off using it because of the name - I literally know people who'd rather use MS Paint, because at least the name doesn't imply something that they're not comfortable thinking about... sigh

    And then there are those who get out of graphics altogether to focus on encoding MP3 audio, only to find that they're forced to work with LAME.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @da Doctah said:

    And then there are those who get out of graphics altogether to focus on encoding MP3 audio, only to find that they're forced to work with LAME.
    Another upside to working with Adobe products: they went ahead and licensed the Fraunhofer codec. No shitty-assed LAME.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    EDIT: I swear I made a thread on an earlier GIMP splash screen, that featured their mutant creature painting a nude of itself... and was extremely disturbing... but I can't for the life of me find the thread, and neither can Google. So shrug.

    I think I can safely say this is the first time I'm glad that Google has failed.

    Also I was under the impression that the Linux crowd was trying to get more of their software adopted by the mainstream. YEAH GOOD JOB ON THAT ONE GUYS, keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure your marketshare is just going to explode next year. (Just like it's been going to do for the past decade amirite?)

    Man, it's got to the stage where we don't even need to make jokes about Linux... its devs are doing that for us.



  • @Weng said:

    No shitty-assed LAME
     

    hu wha



  • @The_Assimilator said:

    Man, it's got to the stage where we don't even need to make jokes about Linux... its devs are doing that for us.

     

    What are you talking about?  Linux is mainstream -- it runs more phones than iOS and more servers than Windows.

    GIMP, meanwhile, is no more a part of Linux than it is a part of the other platform it runs on, such as Windows.

     



  • @Iago said:

    GIMP, meanwhile, is no more a part of Linux than it is a part of the other platform it runs on, such as Windows.

    Uhm. Well, I've never seen Windows shipped with GIMP. Also, why would an image manipulation program be part of the kernel?



  • @The_Assimilator said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    EDIT: I swear I made a thread on an earlier GIMP splash screen, that featured their mutant creature painting a nude of itself... and was extremely disturbing... but I can't for the life of me find the thread, and neither can Google. So shrug.

    I think I can safely say this is the first time I'm glad that Google has failed.

    Conspiracy theory: I think Google and GIMP whitewashed it! In addition to it not being in Image Search, it's also not in GIMP's splashscreen gallery. The only reference I can find is this one: http://www.gimp.org/about/splash/contest/ where it mentions the name of the picture "Wilber painting Wilma". But knowing that, and the "artist's" name still doesn't lead to the actual image! Also I'm pretty sure I had a copy of the image on either my blog, or image hosting domain, and now neither of those has a copy (that I can find). So... CONSPIRACY!

    Also, if you're on Windows, don't use Paint, use Paint.NET. I can't recommend that program enough. (Although Paint in Windows 7 is much better.)



  •  I kind of figured this thread would turn into the "Bash Linux Thread" of the week...



  • was this the image [url=http://img820.imageshack.us/i/wilberpaintingwilmabyph.png/]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8831/wilberpaintingwilmabyph.png[/url]

    Also +1 rec for Paint.Net, I just wish it had better documentation on how to make plugins.



  • @TheChewanater said:

    It's the GNU Image Manipulation Program. Which isn't really the worst name of a GTK+ project.

    Not a part of GTK, but there used to be (perhaps still is?) libpr0n in Mozilla.



  • @delta534 said:

    was this the image http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8831/wilberpaintingwilmabyph.png .
     

    That is actually quite tasteful, or at least more tasteful than what might come to mind when given the description "painting a nude of itself".

    Also, I found another thread on another forum discussing the dominatrix splash screen (the only place where it is shown on Google Images) and it will only be used for development builds. Kind of silly but not a WTF, unless you think it is a WTF due to it not having anything to do with painting or art!



  • @Zemm said:

    @delta534 said:

    was this the image http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8831/wilberpaintingwilmabyph.png .
     

    That is actually quite tasteful, or at least more tasteful than what might come to mind when given the description "painting a nude of itself".

    Also, I found another thread on another forum discussing the dominatrix splash screen (the only place where it is shown on Google Images) and it will only be used for development builds. Kind of silly but not a WTF, unless you think it is a WTF due to it not having anything to do with painting or art!

    It might not be the image that Blakeyrat was thinking of, but it what came up when running the phrase "Wilber painting Wilma gimp" through Google image search came up, with out the quotes.TRWTF in this case is the immaturity of some FOSS developers and how far they are up in the decision making process.



  • @Zemm said:

    it will only be used for development builds

    I thought this was obvious.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Also, if you're on Windows, don't use Paint, use Paint.NET. I can't recommend that program enough. (Although Paint in Windows 7 is much better.)

    Not being a Windows guy, I decided to look up Paint.NET to see what features it had, etc. This is what I found. lol

    [IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/2s7w3zn.png[/IMG]



  • @dohpaz42 said:

    Not being a Windows guy, I decided to look up Paint.NET to see what features it had, etc. This is what I found. lol

    Wow, their website looks much better than the IrfanView website.



  •  Two things came to mind:

    1. When did the Gimp devs start stealing furry porn from Deviant Art?

    2. <burns>

    O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us

    To see oursels as others see us!

    It wad frae mony a blunder free us,

    An' foolish notion:

    What airs in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,

    An' ev'n devotion!

    </burns>



  • @Weng said:

    Another upside to working with Adobe products: they went ahead and licensed the Fraunhofer codec. No shitty-assed LAME.
     

    Troll: -1



  • @vleer said:

    1. When did the Gimp devs start stealing furry porn from Deviant Art?

    I thought it was obvious they were the ones responsible for creating most of it. If they were actually spending most of their time coding, do you think their app would have a splash screen like that?



  • @dohpaz42 said:

    [quote user="blakeyrat"]

    Also, if you're on Windows, don't use Paint, use Paint.NET. I can't recommend that program enough. (Although Paint in Windows 7 is much better.)

    Not being a Windows guy, I decided to look up Paint.NET to see what features it had, etc. This is what I found. lol

    http://i52.tinypic.com/2s7w3zn.png[/quote]

    The only WTF here is that you're not using AdBlock.



    Although don't think I've ever seen crapware based on open-source software (probably with "enhancements" added by the distributor) before.



  • Paint.net

     Apparently, a lot of people have tried to find Paint.Net by typing the URL paint.net, which is actually owned by a paint company (looks they had to use paint.net because paint.com is taken by a squatter), who has put up a re-direct page to send people to getpaint.net



  • @Sudo said:

    Meh. It's like they've only just got their own joke.

    The name "GIMP" probably seemed really funny at the time, but I know from personal experience that some folks are immediately put off using it because of the name - I literally know people who'd rather use MS Paint, because at least the name doesn't imply something that they're not comfortable thinking about... sigh

    I also don't use GIMP, but not because of the name. ImageMagick (and METAFONT) is better program.



  • Something I ran into today, Is Paint.Net the only image program that supports .DDS files without having to install a plugin.



  • @delta534 said:

    Something I ran into today, Is Paint.Net the only image program that supports .DDS files without having to install a plugin.

    As far as I know, yes. And it's saved my ass more than once.



  • @Weng said:

    (Is GIMP still Gnu Image Manipulation Program, or has the obvious and inevitable rename to GIMP Image Manipulation Program happened?)
     

     I'd say "GTK Image Manipulation Program" would be even better.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @delta534 said:
    Something I ran into today, Is Paint.Net the only image program that supports .DDS files without having to install a plugin.

    As far as I know, yes. And it's saved my ass more than once.

     

    Fallout 3 map mods yay



  • @zzo38 said:

    @Sudo said:

    Meh. It's like they've only just got their own joke.

    The name "GIMP" probably seemed really funny at the time, but I know from personal experience that some folks are immediately put off using it because of the name - I literally know people who'd rather use MS Paint, because at least the name doesn't imply something that they're not comfortable thinking about... sigh

    I also don't use GIMP, but not because of the name. ImageMagick (and METAFONT) is better program.

    What is wrong with name? GIMP = Grafic IMage processor"


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Nagesh said:

    What is wrong with name? GIMP = Grafic IMage processor"
    Meaning #3 (And 1 come to think of it. But 3's what the pic in the OP referring to.)



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    The only WTF here is that you're not using AdBlock.



    Although don't think I've ever seen crapware based on open-source software (probably with "enhancements" added by the distributor) before.

    Eh, a lot of good WTFs can be found in ads. Why deprive myself of the momentary pleasure of the occasional WTF, as shown above. :)



  • Although don't think I've ever seen crapware based on open-source software (probably with "enhancements" added by the distributor) before.

    [url]http://www.illusionmage.com/[/url]
    Basically Blender 2.4.9 with a different branding



  • @MiffTheFox said:


    Although don't think I've ever seen crapware based on open-source software (probably with "enhancements" added by the distributor) before.

     

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

     



  • @BertBert said:

    @Weng said:

    (Is GIMP still Gnu Image Manipulation Program, or has the obvious and inevitable rename to GIMP Image Manipulation Program happened?)
     

     I'd say "GTK Image Manipulation Program" would be even better.


    I like that.



  •  Aww, guys, you dont like meh splashy... :) The dev splash came to be as painting practice/test after yet another LOOONG thread of a person complaining about the bondadge reference on the name that only people who have seen Pulp Fiction care about. Isnt it nice if devs actually use the tools they write, uh? Personaly, people complaining about the first meaning in most dictionaries(meaning someone with a physical defect, in america ususally used to offend) have more of an argument than that. And once they are at it, they should start complaining about GIT too.

    BTW: Its not a female GNU, Its the mascot of GEGL, five legged Geneticaly Engenered Goat, Large. The splash is also refers to the new (GEGL powered) Cage Tool.

     

    Edit: God what an awful avatar Ive drawn for myself ages ago...



  • @death said:

    God what an awful avatar Ive drawn for myself ages ago...
     

    I'm surprised nobody has gotten around to commenting on mine.  I harvested it from the web ages ago to punch up the phrase "out of the mouths of babes".



  • @death said:

    Aww, guys, you dont like meh splashy... :)

    Actually, I always thought "TRWTF are you guys complaining about a dev build splash screen that is actually hilarious", but I wasn't in the mood to start an argument about this irrelevant thing. You see, fights about unimportant stuff in this forum will inevitably turn into a five-page flamewar about variable naming conventions or whether Visual Studio is superior to Chromium OS or some bullshit. If you want proof, just check out an arbitrary thread in the sidebar that is longer than two pages.



  • Currently my avatar phase is "screencaps from Digimon".



    I'm pretty sure this is the current topic of the thread.



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    Currently my avatar phase is "screencaps from Digimon".

    I'm pretty sure this is the current topic of the thread.

    I know I changed mine when the creator of Mr Squiggle died.



  •  I think mine was "random furry stuff to upset blakey", but I got bored in the process.

    Also ponies.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Also, if you're on Windows, don't use Paint, use Paint.NET. I can't recommend that program enough.
    Yeah, I make/steal all my .ico and other image files with Paint.NET.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.