Have we truly degenerated/graduated to TDWTHOWTKWTWDTBW?

• I suppose this is either a cause for celebration, or a cause for dismay... but the examples I've seen here lately are not so much WTF's as "What the heck? Oh, wait, they knew what they were doing to begin with!" I guess either I've come to appreciate the finer points of software architecture (yeah, right!) - or maybe people here are just not as experienced as they were "back in the day" and thus are posting stuff that's not really all that bad (entirely feasible) - or maybe software architecture is just evolving at such a rapid pace that the problems we find these days are trivial in comparison to the ones we found a few years ago!

Any opinions on which of these cases is true? I'm leaning toward the "influx of newbies" theory...

• IMO, any online community will attract idiots, or at least those less smart than me, and this forum began that process long ago.

I do appreciate when an OP is proven to not be a WTF and the OP says "oh yeah, that makes sense.  Thanks!"

• @ekolis said:

I suppose this is either a cause for celebration, or a cause for dismay... but the examples I've seen here lately are not so much WTF's as "What the heck? Oh, wait, they knew what they were doing to begin with!" I guess either I've come to appreciate the finer points of software architecture (yeah, right!) - or maybe people here are just not as experienced as they were "back in the day" and thus are posting stuff that's not really all that bad (entirely feasible) - or maybe software architecture is just evolving at such a rapid pace that the problems we find these days are trivial in comparison to the ones we found a few years ago!

Any opinions on which of these cases is true? I'm leaning toward the "influx of newbies" theory...

Are you talking about the front page, or the sidebar?

As far as the sidebar (and forums) go, the problem is that the people posting have seen it all already. What I considered a WTF a year ago, I wouldn't consider a WTF now... not because it's any better, but just because I know it's already been posted 5 times.