Should I laugh or cry?

• We just learned from senior management (to great fanfare) that the committee has finished its approval process and, beginning next week, IE7 will be pushed out to the company. While leaving IE6 behind is a great thing, I still want to headdesk until the pain stops.

•  So, how many years before a committe is formed to approve the next browser upgrade?  3, 4 years?

• @locallunatic said:

So, how many years before a committe is formed to approve the next browser upgrade?  3, 4 years?

We were assured that the selection process for the IE8 committee is proceeding apace.

Someone please shoot me now.

• Quit. Bail. Get out now. Tell them why on the exit interview.

Why do you want to work for a company like this?

Edit: You could get on the IE8 committee and just rubber-stamp it through. Be a rebel.

• @Smitty said:

@locallunatic said:

So, how many years before a committe is formed to approve the next browser upgrade?  3, 4 years?

We were assured that the selection process for the IE8 committee is proceeding apace.

The IE8 committee is probably going to conclude that you shouldn't move to IE8 because it's already outdated with the recent release of IE9. Instead they'll recommend starting the selection process for the IE9 committee...

• 🚽 Regular

"We have finally approved a cutting edge change to our publishing technology! From now on, instead of carving our works in stone, we will be using a newfangled device called the "typewriter"! We will push these out in the next several years."

"Yay!"

•  We're mostly using Firefox here.

The intranet/extranet stuff I've implemented has, from day one, always been done in a standards-based way aimed at working in all browsers.  In the earliest days of it (around 2000), there were some around here still using Netscape 4, and it worked in that too.

• We have an open system here, it basically goes like "If we believe you to be technical enough, we don't care what applications you use as long as you can prove you have a right to use the software. You can even install games if you wish, as long as they are only played during your lunch. Abuse this and your PC will be locked down and you'll only be able to run approved software."

It generally means that sales & accounts is locked down and uses IE8, and R&D they just don't care about (and uses mostly Firefox4 and Chrome, playing COD during lunch - we have a dedicated server for such things). 

• @dtobias said:

We're mostly using Firefox here.

The intranet-

You mean like this?