Email "Read Receipt" option obviously didn't work

• I emailed our local authority last week to ask a question about planning permission for some work on our office building.

Nearly a week later, I have their initial reply. Which was a letter in the post. To tell me they'd received the email...

• Likely this is done in response to a legal requirement, which requires a mailed notification.  Sure it would be less expensive to reply by email; but I'm guessing that a physical mailing satisfies some requirement for notification.  Mailing and delivering a piece of paper often is legally interpreted as proof that the recipient was notified.   This is not a WTF in my opinion.  I'm sure they'd like to save some money by replying to email, but they have to follow the laws/regulations.

• Sadly, I'm sure you're right! Damned governments and their targets/legal crap/backwards approaches*

• = delete as applicable

• @dogbrags said:

Likely this is done in response to a legal requirement, which requires a mailed notification.  Sure it would be less expensive to reply by email; but I'm guessing that a physical mailing satisfies some requirement for notification.  Mailing and delivering a piece of paper often is legally interpreted as proof that the recipient was notified.   This is not a WTF in my opinion.  I'm sure they'd like to save some money by replying to email, but they have to follow the laws/regulations.

If only it was possible to do both!

• @dogbrags said:

Likely this is done in response to a legal requirement, which requires a mailed notification.  Sure it would be less expensive to reply by email; but I'm guessing that a physical mailing satisfies some requirement for notification.  Mailing and delivering a piece of paper often is legally interpreted as proof that the recipient was notified.   This is not a WTF in my opinion.  I'm sure they'd like to save some money by replying to email, but they have to follow the laws/regulations.

Dunno about the rest of the world, but here in the Netherlands a physical letter has the same legal status as an email or a fax for that matter. Unless you have to sign for it, since then the sender has proof that you received it.
    Seems perfectly reasonable to me...

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.