UPS spam/scam/phishing

• I keep getting emails (about once a week) to my primary email address and here's a screenshot:

I did get this email once just a few days after UPS delivered a package to me, but it hasn't stopped coming.

WTFs/Warnings:

• Huge list of email addresses in the CC field, including mine, all of which are at Yahoo.com
    • Attached "zip" file instead of containing shipping data as text in the email, which is what UPS usually does. 
    • Sent approximately once a week.
    • Send from Ups.com, which is actually owned by UPS.
    Has anybody else seen this? I haven't downloaded and opened the zip file yet, if I get bored I might look at it from a VM.

• @mott555 said:

Send from Ups.com, which is actually owned by UPS.

The From: field, the real originating address, and the Reply-To field may all be different. Few things are as easily spoofed as email headers.

• Re: United Parcel Service notification #5150

Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer or paramedic, as well as any specifically designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration.

• 🚽 Regular

@Gern Blaanston said:

Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer or paramedic, as well as any specifically designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration.

And now, for something completely different.

• I believe now is the appropriate time to say TRWTF is that people still use Yahoo mail.

• @Gern Blaanston said:

I think in this case, it's referring to the number of e-mail messages he's received about this package.

• UPS won't be delivering your package. They gave it your home address. It's up to the package to get there on its own.

If it doesn't show up, you'll need to file a missing parcels report with the police. But they probably won't do anything until it's more than 48 hours overdue.

• @nonpartisan said:

@Gern Blaanston said:

I think in this case, it's referring to the number of e-mail messages he's received about this package.

and it's making him crazy

• Most spam is about enhancing your package not that you should expect it

• I just got two more spam messages identical to the original, even the typoes. Except one was from fedex.com and the other was from DHL.com. If there was any doubt whatsoever it was malware, that doubt has been erased.

On a side note, I wish I could find out who gave my email address to Epsilon Interactive so I could put them on a hit list. I've gotten more spam these past few weeks than I've ever gotten in my 10+ years of using Yahoo! Mail as my primary email.