Advertising campaign fail

• While I was checking my e-mail, I came across this ad:

Two Sigma Investments - www.twosigma.com - Our focus on technology sets us apart from other financial firms.

For some reason, I was curious enough to click the link, which brought me to a page that's nothing more than a disclaimer, a copyright notice, and a set of links. Against my better judgement, I clicked one of the links.

The result?

•  TwoSigma— we don't actually want a website

•  So the website has no RESTful features, I take it?  Because that would seemingly eliminate the possibility of ensuring that everyone sees it before they view content.

Or, in other words, "what dhromed said".

• 2-sigma is TRWTF here - 95%? Why aim so low? Slogan: 2-sigma Investments - kind of OKish.

• I dont see a WTF in a WebSite requiring acceptance regarding "Terms of Use"....Am I missing something? Or have I just had too much green beer??

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TheCPUWizard said:

I dont see a WTF in a WebSite requiring acceptance regarding "Terms of Use"....Am I missing something? Or have I just had too much green beer??
    It's overkill.

1. You need to accept the ToU to even find out the contact details
    2. The ToU acceptance page (and indeed every page) has blurb at the bottom which links to the ToU page. Which has [accept] [decline] buttons.

Amusingly, if you Accept the ToU, then go back to Decline the ToU, you're still allowed free reign of the site.

• @TheCPUWizard said:

I dont see a WTF in a WebSite requiring acceptance regarding "Terms of Use"....Am I missing something? Or have I just had too much green beer??

It shows the terms of use before he's even seen the landing page. He's not signing up for an account, he's just following an ad placement.

• That's the part that amazes me. Presumably they paid Google money so I'd see a link to a site they don't seem to want me browsing.

• @PJH said:

you're still allowed free [b]reign[/b] of the site.

/lurk>

Maybe that's what they're worried about.

<lurk