Subway




  • Okay, so they're bigger than Mcdonald's now. Why can't they make a decent site

    Maybe the comment inside the web page says it all:
    Now the that big switch is gone, here are some fun facts:

    1. This site was created in 2002, using Visual Studio 2003.
    2. Yes there was some editing done in frontpage. The editors worked better than VS 2003, and we had a license for it.
    3. A lot from the funky mark-up is from some early generation .NET thirdparty controls we've been maintaining.
    4. We look forward to updating the site as much as you (probably more in fact!)

    Among the things I saw (wip):

    • They start straight up with HTML, but halfway through a complaint HTML page is inserted



  • Ze goggles...



  • Meh. Works OK across browsers, which is more than many sites do.

    Sounds like the comment is just the result of some Reddit-based Internet Drama rather than anything worth losing sleep over.

    DailyWTF really needs a "sage" option.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     Looks fine to me. It works, it doesn't hang the browser, and it doesn't look particularly bad.

     

    Sure the HTML is a fucking mess, but...

    Whoa, I can order a sammich online?  THAT IS AWESOME!

     

    ... As I was saying, sure the HTML is a fucking mess, but we can't see what the actual code looks like. It's possible that it's actually pretty good, despite the mangled frontend.



  • Pretty bad coded page imho : the wtf comes from the society being a huge money-maker. Would be OK for a small business though...

    - no DOCTYPE : quirks mode, anyone ? hmmm... wait... there IS a doctype... in the middle of the page, where another html document starts... wtf dude.

    - depreciated HTML attributes here and there

    - table layout... even now it's still far too common but wtf guys... do you hate your foot so much ?

    - the page uses CSS (as everyone knows, very good practice to avoid melting semantic content and visual layout) ... and inline style attributes... repeated ad nauseam of course

    - JS scripts scattered everywhere directly in the HTML source

    - i don't want to be pedantic with typoes in texts but... typoes in links are bad... like this one :

    [QUOTE]<option value="http://uvi.subaway.com/">US Virgin Islands</option>[/QUOTE]

    - and a last gem though not a wtf : how can you recognize a developer used to "goto programming" when forced to write code in a goto-free language ? Answer : just use "goto" as a parameter name (for vb's sake !)

    [QUOTE]function winopen(goto){
    window.open(goto,null,"height=355,width=893,status=no,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no");
    }
    [/QUOTE]



  • The UK site is useless, no prices, opening times, menu or online ordering. They've somehow filled pages without any real useful content.



  • @toshir0 said:

    depreciated
    I think you mean deprecated. HTH, HAND.



  •  @Sir Twist said:

    @toshir0 said:
    depreciated
    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)



  • @toshir0 said:

     @Sir Twist said:

    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)

    Well, truly bad code like the WTFs identified create a lot of technical debt, so it might not be bad to depreciate the expense over time.



  • @toshir0 said:

     @Sir Twist said:

    @toshir0 said:
    depreciated
    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)

    Don't apologize, it's a hard word, and a lot of native speakers make the same mistake.



  • @toshir0 said:

    In french we say "déprécié"
    btw,this leads me to something else totally unrelated to the subject (sorry to the OP)

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?



  • @toshir0 said:

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?

    Hm. In English, "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", "deprecated", and "obsolete" all mean (subtly) different things. As far as I know, we don't have an equivalent to "surranné" or "désuet".

    Also, as far as I know, we don't have any synonym for "obsolete" that is itself obsolete. But I'm not Mr. Dictionary, I could be wrong on that point.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @toshir0 said:

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?

    Hm. In English, "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", "deprecated", and "obsolete" all mean (subtly) different things. As far as I know, we don't have an equivalent to "surranné" or "désuet".

    Also, as far as I know, we don't have any synonym for "obsolete" that is itself obsolete. But I'm not Mr. Dictionary, I could be wrong on that point.

    superannuated?



  • @boomzilla said:

    @toshir0 said:

     @Sir Twist said:

    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)

    Well, truly bad code like the WTFs identified create a lot of technical debt, so it might not be bad to depreciate the expense over time.

    You don't depreciate expenses. You amortize expenses. Depreciation is what happens when your capital gets older and wears out (or becomes obsolete); this code was pretty worthless from the get-go. 🙂


  • @fennec said:

    @boomzilla said:


    Well, truly bad code like the WTFs identified create a lot of technical debt, so it might not be bad to depreciate the expense over time.

    You don't depreciate expenses. You amortize expenses. Depreciation is what happens when your capital gets older and wears out (or becomes obsolete); this code was pretty worthless from the get-go. 🙂
    Well, the code itself is an asset, and the technical debt a related expense. Anyways, I was using it not in the sense that it wears out, but in how you allocate the cost over a long period of time. For example, a plot of land doesn't necessarily wear out, but you could still claim depreciation on taxes.


  • According to dictionary.com, the third meaning of "deprecated" is "depreciated". I wil continue to use "depreciated", thank you.

     



  • @Medezark said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @toshir0 said:

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?

    Hm. In English, "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", "deprecated", and "obsolete" all mean (subtly) different things. As far as I know, we don't have an equivalent to "surranné" or "désuet".

    Also, as far as I know, we don't have any synonym for "obsolete" that is itself obsolete. But I'm not Mr. Dictionary, I could be wrong on that point.

    superannuated?

    "Desuetude" has fallen into desuetude.


  • @Scarlet Manuka said:

    "Desuetude" has fallen into desuetude.
     

    Yeah, I guess that works.  Now let's see you put together a sentence using the word "usufruct".



  • I enjoy usufruct of this notebook computer. Officially it belongs to the Pisces
    Interactive Corporation
    , but in practice it's MINE MINE MINE!

     



  • @AndyCanfield said:

    According to dictionary.com, the third meaning of "deprecated" is "depreciated". I wil continue to use "depreciated", thank you.

    If you read the whole entry, it also points out that this equivalence is in fact erroneous, despite being widely accepted. So, it's acceptable, but not correct. A bit like when someone says "PIN number"

    IMHO, TRWTF is going to the Subway website in the first place. What were you hoping to find? A downloadable BLT?


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.