Subway




  • Okay, so they're bigger than Mcdonald's now. Why can't they make a decent site

    Maybe the comment inside the web page says it all:
    Now the that big switch is gone, here are some fun facts:

    1. This site was created in 2002, using Visual Studio 2003.
    2. Yes there was some editing done in frontpage. The editors worked better than VS 2003, and we had a license for it.
    3. A lot from the funky mark-up is from some early generation .NET thirdparty controls we've been maintaining.
    4. We look forward to updating the site as much as you (probably more in fact!)

    Among the things I saw (wip):

    • They start straight up with HTML, but halfway through a complaint HTML page is inserted



  • Ze goggles...



  • Meh. Works OK across browsers, which is more than many sites do.

    Sounds like the comment is just the result of some Reddit-based Internet Drama rather than anything worth losing sleep over.

    DailyWTF really needs a "sage" option.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

     Looks fine to me. It works, it doesn't hang the browser, and it doesn't look particularly bad.

     

    Sure the HTML is a fucking mess, but...

    Whoa, I can order a sammich online?  THAT IS AWESOME!

     

    ... As I was saying, sure the HTML is a fucking mess, but we can't see what the actual code looks like. It's possible that it's actually pretty good, despite the mangled frontend.



  • Pretty bad coded page imho : the wtf comes from the society being a huge money-maker. Would be OK for a small business though...

    - no DOCTYPE : quirks mode, anyone ? hmmm... wait... there IS a doctype... in the middle of the page, where another html document starts... wtf dude.

    - depreciated HTML attributes here and there

    - table layout... even now it's still far too common but wtf guys... do you hate your foot so much ?

    - the page uses CSS (as everyone knows, very good practice to avoid melting semantic content and visual layout) ... and inline style attributes... repeated ad nauseam of course

    - JS scripts scattered everywhere directly in the HTML source

    - i don't want to be pedantic with typoes in texts but... typoes in links are bad... like this one :

    [QUOTE]<option value="http://uvi.subaway.com/">US Virgin Islands</option>[/QUOTE]

    - and a last gem though not a wtf : how can you recognize a developer used to "goto programming" when forced to write code in a goto-free language ? Answer : just use "goto" as a parameter name (for vb's sake !)

    [QUOTE]function winopen(goto){
    window.open(goto,null,"height=355,width=893,status=no,toolbar=no,menubar=no,location=no");
    }
    [/QUOTE]



  • The UK site is useless, no prices, opening times, menu or online ordering. They've somehow filled pages without any real useful content.



  • @toshir0 said:

    depreciated
    I think you mean deprecated. HTH, HAND.



  •  @Sir Twist said:

    @toshir0 said:
    depreciated
    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)



  • @toshir0 said:

     @Sir Twist said:

    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)

    Well, truly bad code like the WTFs identified create a lot of technical debt, so it might not be bad to depreciate the expense over time.



  • @toshir0 said:

     @Sir Twist said:

    @toshir0 said:
    depreciated
    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)

    Don't apologize, it's a hard word, and a lot of native speakers make the same mistake.



  • @toshir0 said:

    In french we say "déprécié"
    btw,this leads me to something else totally unrelated to the subject (sorry to the OP)

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?



  • @toshir0 said:

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?

    Hm. In English, "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", "deprecated", and "obsolete" all mean (subtly) different things. As far as I know, we don't have an equivalent to "surranné" or "désuet".

    Also, as far as I know, we don't have any synonym for "obsolete" that is itself obsolete. But I'm not Mr. Dictionary, I could be wrong on that point.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @toshir0 said:

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?

    Hm. In English, "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", "deprecated", and "obsolete" all mean (subtly) different things. As far as I know, we don't have an equivalent to "surranné" or "désuet".

    Also, as far as I know, we don't have any synonym for "obsolete" that is itself obsolete. But I'm not Mr. Dictionary, I could be wrong on that point.

    superannuated?



  • @boomzilla said:

    @toshir0 said:

     @Sir Twist said:

    I think you mean deprecated.
    my bad. you're correct. (In french we say "déprécié", so i think the "i" in my erroneous "depreciated" was an illegal french immigrant trying to make it past the linguistic frontier)

    Well, truly bad code like the WTFs identified create a lot of technical debt, so it might not be bad to depreciate the expense over time.

    You don't depreciate expenses. You amortize expenses. Depreciation is what happens when your capital gets older and wears out (or becomes obsolete); this code was pretty worthless from the get-go. :)


  • @fennec said:

    @boomzilla said:


    Well, truly bad code like the WTFs identified create a lot of technical debt, so it might not be bad to depreciate the expense over time.

    You don't depreciate expenses. You amortize expenses. Depreciation is what happens when your capital gets older and wears out (or becomes obsolete); this code was pretty worthless from the get-go. :)
    Well, the code itself is an asset, and the technical debt a related expense. Anyways, I was using it not in the sense that it wears out, but in how you allocate the cost over a long period of time. For example, a plot of land doesn't necessarily wear out, but you could still claim depreciation on taxes.


  • According to dictionary.com, the third meaning of "deprecated" is "depreciated". I wil continue to use "depreciated", thank you.

     



  • @Medezark said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    @toshir0 said:

    All the french words meaning "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", deprecated, tend to become in a very short time somewhat self-referential. We have a whole bunch of these in french... "obsolète", "surranné", "désuet", ... that are, precisely, what they describe.

    Is it a (another ?) weird point of the french language or have you observed the same in your own language ?

    Hm. In English, "not up-to-date", "old-fashioned", "deprecated", and "obsolete" all mean (subtly) different things. As far as I know, we don't have an equivalent to "surranné" or "désuet".

    Also, as far as I know, we don't have any synonym for "obsolete" that is itself obsolete. But I'm not Mr. Dictionary, I could be wrong on that point.

    superannuated?

    "Desuetude" has fallen into desuetude.


  • @Scarlet Manuka said:

    "Desuetude" has fallen into desuetude.
     

    Yeah, I guess that works.  Now let's see you put together a sentence using the word "usufruct".



  • I enjoy usufruct of this notebook computer. Officially it belongs to the Pisces
    Interactive Corporation
    , but in practice it's MINE MINE MINE!

     



  • @AndyCanfield said:

    According to dictionary.com, the third meaning of "deprecated" is "depreciated". I wil continue to use "depreciated", thank you.

    If you read the whole entry, it also points out that this equivalence is in fact erroneous, despite being widely accepted. So, it's acceptable, but not correct. A bit like when someone says "PIN number"

    IMHO, TRWTF is going to the Subway website in the first place. What were you hoping to find? A downloadable BLT?



  • @Sudo said:

    @AndyCanfield said:

    According to dictionary.com, the third meaning of "deprecated" is "depreciated". I wil continue to use "depreciated", thank you.

    If you read the whole entry, it also points out that this equivalence is in fact erroneous, despite being widely accepted. So, it's acceptable, but not correct. A bit like when someone says "PIN number"

    Plus, while "deprecate" might mean "depreciate", "depreciate" certainly does not mean "deprecate".

    @Sudo said:

    IMHO, TRWTF is going to the Subway website in the first place. What were you hoping to find? A downloadable BLT?

    I thought I'd find an underground transit system (downloadable, of course).



  • Here's a puzzler: was the sandwich named after the submarine, or was the submarine named after the sandwich! oooOOOooOOOooOOOOooOOOoo



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Here's a puzzler: was the sandwich named after the submarine, or was the submarine named after the sandwich! oooOOOooOOOooOOOOooOOOoo
     

    There's a submarine called a grinder?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Here's a puzzler: was the sandwich named after the submarine, or was the submarine named after the sandwich! oooOOOooOOOooOOOOooOOOoo
     

    It was named after your mom.

     

    oooOOOooOOOooOOOOooOOOoo

     



  • @Someone You Know said:

    There's a submarine called a grinder?
     

    Your mom's a grinder.



  • @dhromed said:

    @Someone You Know said:

    There's a submarine called a grinder?
     

    Your mom's a grinder.

    oooOOOoooOOOoOOOOoOOOooOO



  •  Dammit!  Now I want a grinder...  They're far better than plain old subs.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @dhromed said:

    @Someone You Know said:

    There's a submarine called a grinder?
     

    Your mom's a grinder.



    oooOOOoooOOOoOOOOoOOOooOO
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo
    STFY.



  •  @Someone You Know said:

    Filed under: the tags are not case sensitive
    Your mom's case sensitive.



  • I like how you have to submit a reason for deleting your own posts, but that it doesn't matter what the reason is.



  • @derula said:

    I like how you have to submit a reason for deleting your own posts, but that it doesn't matter what the reason is.

    Doesn't matter, all of us with email subscriptions already read it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @derula said:
    I like how you have to submit a reason for deleting your own posts, but that it doesn't matter what the reason is.

    Doesn't matter, all of us with email subscriptions already read it.

    I know.



  • @Someone You Know said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    was the sandwich named after the submarine, or was the submarine named after the sandwich! o
     

    There's a submarine called a grinder?

    What about subroutines?  Does "gosub" mean get a sammich?

     



  • sammich ? TRWTF is this ...

    Its sandwich , or if you are feeling more jovial, sarnie.

    The joke "How do you survive on the beach"  "because of all the sand which is there"

    doesn't work otherwise

    Bloody colonials ...grumble

     

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @derula said:
    I like how you have to submit a reason for deleting your own posts, but that it doesn't matter what the reason is.

    Doesn't matter, all of us with email subscriptions already read it.

    You people have working email subscriptions?

    On a random note, the Subway Australia page looks a damn lot better.



  • @Douglasac said:

    On a random note, the Subway Australia page looks a damn lot better.

    I tried the German site and on first glance, it didn't look half bad.

    On second glance, it is entirely made in Flash and the several Flash pages are glued together with Typo3.

    I especially liked:
    var checkFlash = DetectFlashVer(requiredMajorVersion, requiredMinorVersion, requiredRevision);
    if(checkFlash && isWin) {
    var alternateContent = '';
    } else if(checkFlash && !isWin) {
    var alternateContent = '';
    } else if(!checkFlash && isWin) {
    var alternateContent = '<table id="innerFrame" cellspacing="0"><tr><td id="innerFrameCell"><div> </div><div> </div><div> </div><div style="text-align:center; background-color:#ffffff;border:solid 1px #808080;padding:5px;">Diese Seite benötigt den Adobe Flash Player. <a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/" />Get Flash</a><br><a href="http://www.subway-sandwiches.de/index.php?id=602">Hier gehts zur non Flashsite</a></div></td></tr></table>';
    } else if(!checkFlash && !isWin) {
    window.location.href = 'index.php?id=590';
    } else {
    var alternateContent = '<table id="innerFrame" cellspacing="0"><tr><td id="innerFrameCell"><div> </div><div> </div><div> </div><div style="text-align:center; background-color:#ffffff;border:solid 1px #808080;padding:5px;">Diese Seite benötigt den Adobe Flash Player! <a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/" />Get Flash</a><br><a href="http://www.subway-sandwiches.de/index.php?id=602">Hier gehts zur non Flashsite</a></div></td></tr></table>';}
    if(alternateContent) {
    document.write(alternateContent);
    }

    (which is about as much as there is outside of the Flash application). Well, that's one way to write

    if(!DetectFlashVer(requiredMajorVersion, requiredMinorVersion, requiredRevision)) {
    if (isWin) {
    document.write('<table id="innerFrame" cellspacing="0"><tr><td id="innerFrameCell"><div> </div><div> </div><div> </div><div style="text-align:center; background-color:#ffffff;border:solid 1px #808080;padding:5px;">Diese Seite benötigt den Adobe Flash Player. <a href="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash/" />Get Flash</a><br><a href="http://www.subway-sandwiches.de/index.php?id=602">Hier gehts zur non Flashsite</a></div></td></tr></table>');
    } else {
    window.location.href = 'index.php?id=590';
    }
    }

    Especially the empty divs inside the single-row, single-column table are a bit frightening, but oh well. The URLs made me wonder, however. And, tadaaa, here we go: a login page for the "German Subway Intranet": http://www.subway-sandwiches.de/index.php?id=504

    Interesting is how you can add anything to the URL after their domain and it'll bring you to the homepage. And the index page is found for many IDs other than the default one, too. Same for the "Intranet" index, but then maybe these are all different "Intranet" sites but it won't let me access them for lack of a password. Some of this might be a typo3 WTF, but seriously, I can't imagine typo3 is supposed to be used like that.

    Also, I found this mildly funny: <meta name="robots" content="index,follow">, especially since everything's made of Flash...



  • @Douglasac said:

    You people have working email subscriptions?
    I've not had any problems with them recently.



  • @Douglasac said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    @derula said:
    I like how you have to submit a reason for deleting your own posts, but that it doesn't matter what the reason is.

    Doesn't matter, all of us with email subscriptions already read it.

    You people have working email subscriptions

    They stopped working back when the database was full, but they've been fine since Alex fixed that.

    That said, CS should really wait for the edit/delete window to close before sending the email.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    That said, CS should really wait for the edit/delete window to close before sending the email.
    I suspect the window is configurable (up to infinity) so depending on the setting it could never get sent.



  • @PJH said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    That said, CS should really wait for the edit/delete window to close before sending the email.
    I suspect the window is configurable (up to infinity) so depending on the setting it could never get sent.

    Well they could make it, oh what is that called, oh yeah "SMART". Where instead of just dumbly using the edit window setting, it says "edit window or 30 mins, whichever comes first."

    But that's pretty moot, considering it's CS we're talking about.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    But that's pretty moot, considering it's CS we're talking about.

    It would probably end up sending you a reply notification every 30 minutes, even if the topic is quiet, until you view the post it keeps notifying you about.



  • @UriGagarin said:

    sammich ? TRWTF is this ...

    Its sandwich , or if you are feeling more jovial, sarnie.

    The joke "How do you survive on the beach"  "because of all the sand which is there"

    doesn't work otherwise

    Bloody colonials ...grumble

     

     

    We "bloody colonials" now own the islands in question, so we can pronounce it however we like.



  • @derula said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    But that's pretty moot, considering it's CS we're talking about.

    It would probably end up sending you reply notifications continuously after 30 minutes, even if the topic is quiet, until you view the post it keeps notifying you about.

    FTFY



  • @da Doctah said:

    @UriGagarin said:

    sammich ? TRWTF is this ...

    Its sandwich , or if you are feeling more jovial, sarnie.

    The joke "How do you survive on the beach"  "because of all the sand which is there"

    doesn't work otherwise

    Bloody colonials ...grumble

     

     

    We "bloody colonials" now own the islands in question, so we can pronounce it however we like.

    Islands? Sandwich is all on the British mainland. Bloody know-nothing colonials ...grumble



  • @__moz said:

    Islands? Sandwich is all on the British mainland. Bloody know-nothing colonials ...grumble

    LOL...mainland.



  • @boomzilla said:

    @__moz said:

    Islands? Sandwich is all on the British mainland. Bloody know-nothing colonials ...grumble

    LOL...mainland.

    I've always thought it would be cool if Japan and the UK just went at it. "Battle of the Island Chains!" It's too bad they aren't closer to each other.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I've always thought it would be cool if Japan and the UK just went at it. "Battle of the Island Chains!" It's too bad they aren't closer to each other.
     

    The last couple of days they've been working on correcting that.



  • @da Doctah said:

    The last couple of days they've been working on correcting that.
     

    It falls a bit short of swallowing the entire pacific and american plates.



  • @__moz said:

    @da Doctah said:

    @UriGagarin said:

    sammich ? TRWTF is this ...

    Its sandwich , or if you are feeling more jovial, sarnie.

    The joke "How do you survive on the beach"  "because of all the sand which is there"

    doesn't work otherwise

    Bloody colonials ...grumble

     

     

    We "bloody colonials" now own the islands in question, so we can pronounce it however we like.

    Islands? Sandwich is all on the British mainland. Bloody know-nothing colonials ...grumble

    Sandwich Islands was a name given to the Hawaiian Islands by James Cook on one of his voyages in the 1770s. James Cook named the islands after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, a supporter of Cook's voyages.

     



  • @El_Heffe said:

    Sandwich Islands was a name given to the Hawaiian Islands by James Cook on one of his voyages in the 1770s. James Cook named the islands after John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, a supporter of Cook's voyages.
     

    Bullshit. Making a sandwich doesn't count as Cooking.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.