Windows TF 7 takes over an hour to install updates

• So my wife has gone to bed asking me to shut her laptop down once the new updates (Service Pack 2, I believe) has finished installing.

An hour later, one restart later, and it's at "Stage 1 of 2 - preparing to configure windows - do not turn computer off" or something.

How long does it need to take to do this stuff? What on earth can it be doing for it to take this long?

It was just as bad when we got the thing in the first place and we had to rebuild the OS because the installation was a bit fucked when we bought it. It took 3 hours to install it of 3 discs.

I was given a new laptop at work the other week, it has w7 on it and it takes 5 minutes to start up in the morning. But I thought w7 was supposed to be faster than earlier versions. Don't you believe it.

Every time micturatosoft release a new version of their soft-as-shitware, the user interface is even more unusable than the previous version.

I am seriously thinking of leaving this industry.

• I guess my 20 minute Windows 7 install was an anomaly? And updates have always installed as I'm working with maybe occasionally a 30 second "updates are being configured" at shutdown.

• @Matt Westwood said:

So my wife has gone to bed asking me to shut her laptop down once the new updates (Service Pack 2, I believe)

SP1, for Windows 7. Just came out.

@Matt Westwood said:

An hour later, one restart later, and it's at "Stage 1 of 2 - preparing to configure windows - do not turn computer off" or something.

How long does it need to take to do this stuff?

About 15 minutes for my computer at home, maybe 18-20 for my work computer. It claims to take a half-hour, so.

@Matt Westwood said:

It was just as bad when we got the thing in the first place and we had to rebuild the OS because the installation was a bit fucked when we bought it.

What vendor? HP ships shitty, shitty software builds... I'd rather drink piss than buy another HP laptop, after experiencing one.

Dell is usually pretty good, they give you a genuine Microsoft-burned Windows DVD with the machine, and ship their drivers and apps on an (optional) second disk.

@Matt Westwood said:

It took 3 hours to install it of 3 discs.

??? Windows 7 ships on DVD, not CD. It's only one disk. And it doesn't take 3 hours to install, not even close.

@Matt Westwood said:

I was given a new laptop at work the other week, it has w7 on it and it takes 5 minutes to start up in the morning.

Has it occurred to you that maybe the problem here is your wristwatch?

(Actually, if your workplace uses roaming profiles and the profiles are stored on a slow server, this can happen. Is that the case?)

@Matt Westwood said:

But I thought w7 was supposed to be faster than earlier versions. Don't you believe it.

It is. By every measure. And it gets faster still once it's been in-use a couple weeks and it has good cache prediction.

@Matt Westwood said:

Every time micturatosoft

No dollar sign? I'm disappointed.

@Matt Westwood said:

release a new version of their soft-as-shitware, the user interface is even more unusable than the previous version.

Have any specific examples?

@Matt Westwood said:

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

• Have any specific examples?

Though for the most part 7's UI is a better version of Vista's, there are some specific niggles I have. For one, you can't have all of your power plans in the popup for the power icon in the tray, only the current one and one previous which is a pain with an OS that ships with three. There's not much wrong with it overall though. Certainly not enough to inspire this kind of hatred.

• well thank fuck for that, it's finished.

What a fucking bag of arse it is.

• Specific examples you supercilious shithead? yes indeed. Word, excel, visio come to mind. And switching between different files on the same program is a fucking pain in the arse. Now fuck off, you cunt.

• It was just as bad when we got the thing in the first place and we had to rebuild the OS because the installation was a bit fucked when we bought it.

Also: there's a possibility the hard drive is damaged which would explain the broken OS and the dire performance.

Word, excel, visio come to mind.
    Not used the newer ones much, still using 2003 with 7. And that's not an OS problem...

• Garbage Person

I just did it two days ago - 10 minutes. Prior to that, I did have an extremely long update-installing session, but that was because I hadn't updated in AGES and there were 60 of them cached.

I also happen to have installed Windows 7 (with SP1 integrated) last night on another machine. It took about 30 minutes.

By the way, the only Windows 7 CDROM installs I'm aware of are bootlegs or custom corporate assemblies with a bunch of junk integrated. Just so you know. The installer supports media splits, but you have to build it yourself. The stock 1-DVD installer likely would not be so fucking shit.

• @Matt Westwood said:

Specific examples you supercilious shithead?

In an effort to not appear "supercilious " I am going to admit that I had to look up supercilious.

@Matt Westwood said:

Word, excel, visio come to mind.

What about them?

@Matt Westwood said:

And switching between different files on the same program is a fucking pain in the arse.

What does that mean?

@Matt Westwood said:

Now fuck off, you cunt.

Protip: don't take anger management classes from Louis Black.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@blakeyrat said:

??? Windows 7 ships on DVD, not CD

Wait, you got it on a CD?  I had to switch between 3,263 floppies.

• @Matt Westwood said:

(Service Pack 2, I believe)
    Really?  Seriously? @Matt Westwood said:
    we had to rebuild the OS because the installation was a bit fucked when we bought it.
    A few days ago I wiped my hard drive and re-installed Windows 7.  I didn't time it but it couldn't have been more than 30 minutes max. @Matt Westwood said:
    It took 3 hours to install it of 3 discs.
    There's a big problem right there.  Windows comes on one disk.  The other two are strictly crapware.@Matt Westwood said:
    I was given a new laptop at work the other week, it has w7 on it and it takes 5 minutes to start up in the morning
    Crapware.

Out of curiosity I shut down my computer and restarted, just now.  Windows 7 -- 1 minute 45 seconds to fully functional.  That's 1 minute 44 seconds longer than I would like, but not terrible.  And this is a moderately priced laptop, not one of the gaming rigs where they overclock it to a gazillion Ghz and use liguid nitrogen for cooling.

If your computer takes a long time to boot, forever to update and 3 hours to install Windows -- you're doing it wrong.@Matt Westwood said:

the user interface is even more unusable than the previous version.

What industry would that be?  Obviously not one where you need to know anything about computers.

• Team Fortress is already up to revision 7? And the Windows team is designing it? Wow, I'm behind the times.

• @Matt Westwood said:

Specific examples you supercilious shithead? yes indeed. Word, excel, visio come to mind. And switching between different files on the same program is a fucking pain in the arse. Now fuck off, you cunt.

*clicks between a few different excel spreadsheets*

OK, I'll admit, the 5 milliseconds it takes for the window manager to move the one window over the other is definitely too long.  Clearly, Windows is shit.

Also, you're an idiot.  Go back to slashdot.

•  In my experience, most people who hate Windows fall into one of three categories:

People who have never used it.  This is comprised mostly of Mac users, who are honestly oblivious (or intentionally oblivious) to the improvements Microsoft has made to their products, and completely blind to the fact that indeed they are probably the best out there, in most cases.

People who will NOT use it.  This is the more militant branch, mostly linux users and the more anal mac users, who refuse to believe that Microsoft can do anything right, and anything that is done so right that it can't possibly be argued was ripped off by some obscure ass linux distro three years ago, or ripped off of Apple who did it three years ago (of course development of Compiz exploded after Vista came out with Aero, but that was just coincidence of course.)

People who had a bad experience and blame it on Windows/Microsoft.  I was once hired by a guy who wanted me to install and configure linux on his home PC, because he said Microsoft sucked, and every time he updated XP it was worse and worse.  Come to find out, he's running Windows XP on a 7 (now 18) year old PC, with more dust than metal in it, and a hard drive that died halfway through the linux install.  He still refuses to believe that it wasn't Window's fault that his hardware was not only ridiculously out of date, but also very poorly maintained, and in general wasn't a great computer when he got it in the first place.

My opinion?  OS wars are retarded.  I use Windows for most of my 3D work, my Mac for graphic editing and 3D rendering, and linux for most of my email, web surfing, and web development.  All you do when you argue about this crap is act as a walking billboard for either Apple or Microsoft (unless you do it with linux, in which case you just look like an elitist ass.)  All of them have places where they shine (I LOVE OSX's desktop/workspace system, I LOVE network transparency in Kubuntu, and I LOVE all the software and options with Windows) and all of them have places where they really suck (OSX's automation tools are confusing, and running .sh scripts isn't any easier, Linux requires near constant maintainance to work properly, and Windows needs firewalls and protections that the other two generally don't.)  

In short, fanboys be quiet.  The adults are talking.

• normally i try to be nice.. but...

PEBKAC

Windows 7 Machine 1: Gaming Machine.  SP1 Install time.. approximately 20 minutes.. boot time <1 min

Windows 7 Machine 2: Gaming Machine, SP1 Install time.. approximately 22 minutes.. boot time <1 min

Windows 7 Machine 3: HTPC, SP1 Install time.. approximately 30 minutes. boot time <1 min (2-3 mins till the tuners are ready.. they have an extensive start up process because it's a 4 head MOCUR)

Windows 7 Machine 4: Laptop.  SP1 Install time.. approximately 30 minutes.. boot tim <1 min

Maybe if your machine wasn't hammered senseless with a bunch of crapware and viruses that raging newb morons like you don't even think about and go straight to blaming someone else for your own fuckups...

//had to clean a bunch of shit out of a friends system earlier.

• @Weng said:

I just did it two days ago - 10 minutes. Prior to that, I did have an extremely long update-installing session, but that was because I hadn't updated in AGES and there were 60 of them cached.

I also happen to have installed Windows 7 (with SP1 integrated) last night on another machine. It took about 30 minutes.

By the way, the only Windows 7 CDROM installs I'm aware of are bootlegs or custom corporate assemblies with a bunch of junk integrated. Just so you know. The installer supports media splits, but you have to build it yourself. The stock 1-DVD installer likely would not be so fucking shit.

Just to clear it up: had to create the discs myself by using the "backup system" option or whatever it is (don't expect me to bother to remember all the correct names / terminologies for this heap of turd). That took a long time too, I can tell you.

• @Kazan said:

normally i try to be nice.. but...

PEBKAC

Windows 7 Machine 1: Gaming Machine.  SP1 Install time.. approximately 20 minutes.. boot time <1 min

Windows 7 Machine 2: Gaming Machine, SP1 Install time.. approximately 22 minutes.. boot time <1 min

Windows 7 Machine 3: HTPC, SP1 Install time.. approximately 30 minutes. boot time <1 min (2-3 mins till the tuners are ready.. they have an extensive start up process because it's a 4 head MOCUR)

Windows 7 Machine 4: Laptop.  SP1 Install time.. approximately 30 minutes.. boot tim <1 min

Maybe if your machine wasn't hammered senseless with a bunch of crapware and viruses that raging newb morons like you don't even think about and go straight to blaming someone else for your own fuckups...

//had to clean a bunch of shit out of a friends system earlier.

Brand new computer, "hammered senseless with a bunch of crapware and viruses" ... well, well. Never thought they sold computers new at the store with viruses in place. Oh and raging yes, moron probably but newb I take exception to, fuckwit.

•  OP is clearly trolling.

•  actually brand new computers from the store normally DO have a bunch of bloated crapware on them... are you that much of a newb to not know this..

i tihnk not

you be trolling

• @Matt Westwood said:

Brand new computer, "hammered senseless with a bunch of crapware and viruses" ... well, well. Never thought they sold computers new at the store with viruses in place.

Maybe not with viruses, but definitely with crapware. Thats why smart people install their own OS.

• <brag>I had Win7 installed for like 10min on an i7 machine with an SSD. Boot up is less then a minute...</brag>

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Matt Westwood said:

Brand new computer, "hammered senseless with a bunch of crapware and viruses" ... well, well. Never thought they sold computers new at the store with viruses in place. Oh and raging yes, moron probably but newb I take exception to, fuckwit.

Can't think why.

http://www.appliancedesign.com/Articles/Breaking_News/534fd8f28026e010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oVdw-Xp6LB4C&pg=PA[...]

And you didn't address the crapware question.

• @Matt Westwood said:

You expected a brand new computer to not have crapware on it? You are a noob. When was the last time you bought a pc, 1995?

• @Master Chief said:

@Matt Westwood said:

You expected a brand new computer to not have crapware on it? You are a noob. When was the last time you bought a pc, 1995?
    I always buy my PC without OS. Yes, there are shops that do that, and yes, they charge you less then for the same machine with OS on it.

• It was just as bad when we got the thing in the first place and we had to rebuild the OS because the installation was a bit fucked when we bought it

Reading the first quote I thought you'd bought a second-hand computer that'd been hit by a train. But then you clarified that you'd bought a new computer with a damaged OS (probably due to a defective HDD) and rather than taking it back you pushed on anyway.

• Fun fact: Matt Westwood's computer is a [url=http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/37731.aspx]Pentium II with 256 MB of RAM[/url]. It "runs" Windows 7...like a man who has shit in his pants.

• @Master Chief said:

@Matt Westwood said:

Specific examples you supercilious shithead? yes indeed. Word, excel, visio come to mind. And switching between different files on the same program is a fucking pain in the arse. Now fuck off, you cunt.

clicks between a few different excel spreadsheets

OK, I'll admit, the 5 milliseconds it takes for the window manager to move the one window over the other is definitely too long.  Clearly, Windows is shit.

Also, you're an idiot.  Go back to slashdot.

Well, Excel 2007 can be a pain because of it's MDI-pretending-to-be-SDI layout (1 window, yet multiple taskbar entries) thus you can't use conventional window management for some tasks.

But contrary to the OP, document switching is one of the few conventional tasks that usually works :)

• @Matt Westwood said:

Awesome! That'll make Microsoft products better!!

• @Matt Westwood said:

I was given a new laptop at work the other week, it has w7 on it and it takes 5 minutes to start up in the morning. But I thought w7 was supposed to be faster than earlier versions. Don't you believe it.

I would say that this is more likely to be your work SOE than anything to do with the OS itself.

@iphitus said:

Well, Excel 2007 can be a pain because of it's MDI-pretending-to-be-SDI layout (1 window, yet multiple taskbar entries) thus you can't use conventional window management for some tasks.

I find this moderately annoying as well, typically when I want a different spreadsheet open on either monitor. I've found that explicitly opening a second instance of Excel 2007 and open the other spreadsheet in this allows you to achieve this.

I realise there's probably a better/different way to do this, but it works for me.

• @Master Chief said:

The Dell Vostro line is marketed heavily on the fact that it has very little crapware: off the top of my head, they all come with basically Windows, Drivers, Office if specified, Trend Micro if specified, and something to burn discs and watch them.

Lenovo ThinkPads are also reasonably light on the crapware, and points to Lenovo for including software that doesn't suck.

• @Matt Westwood said:

If you haven't already, you should try the PC offerings from IBM. You'd probably swoon over Lotus Notes.

• @C4I_Officer said:

Fun fact: Matt Westwood's computer is a Pentium II with 256 MB of RAM. It "runs" Windows 7...like a man who has shit in his pants.

Perhaps he should switch to win2000 or XP

• @Douglasac said:

The Dell Vostro line is marketed heavily on the fact that it has very little crapware:

My work machine is a Vostro with Vista.

If I didn't whip it so hard for work (servers, tools, things, bits, bobs) it might have run a little faster than my equi-spec self-built home machine.

• I have a Vostro from the end of 2007 that is still going strong (XP preinstalled, installed 7 manually), it came with very little bloatware when I got it, was cheaper than the equivalent Inspiron line, and I also negotiated in a 2 year next business day warranty for essentially $0 when I purchased it.

The Vostros were marketed as "business" models (compared to the inspirons which were aimed at home users), and there was no purchasing restriction on the Vostro. Not sure what the story is now but the last time I checked the Dell site the offerings werent so appealing. 

• @Douglasac said:

@Master Chief said:

The Dell Vostro line is marketed heavily on the fact that it has very little crapware: off the top of my head, they all come with basically Windows, Drivers, Office if specified, Trend Micro if specified, and something to burn discs and watch them.

Lenovo ThinkPads are also reasonably light on the crapware, and points to Lenovo for including software that doesn't suck.

Quite so, I had forgotten about Vostro. Still though, I do like HP laptops, even if it takes an afternoon to remove all the shit and get Windows up to date and un-fuckified.

My last one, a G61, wasn't too bad though, only took a couple hours to get all the proprietary bs removed and rip an image of the drive with clonezilla.

• @Master Chief said:

In short, fanboys be quiet.  The adults are talking.

QFT.

• @blakeyrat said:

What vendor? HP ships shitty, shitty software builds... I'd rather drink piss than buy another HP laptop, after experiencing one.

Dell is usually pretty good, they give you a genuine Microsoft-burned Windows DVD with the machine, and ship their drivers and apps on an (optional) second disk.

I have an HP Mini 1000 netbook that had so much bloatware it was practically unusable. I can't even imagine who thought it was a good idea to put that much crap on it, especially since it only had an 8 GB system drive. And it was all useless stuff, like Bluetooth utilities (it doesn't have Bluetooth), DVD burning software (it doesn't have a DVD drive), a massive all-in-one HP printer management/driver/utilities/media player/who-knows-what-else package (I didn't buy a printer with it), HP auto-update utilities that fill the system drive up and don't bother cleaning up after themselves so you have to boot in safe mode and manually clean out the drive, a bunch of kids' games, and by that point I quit tallying up the crapware and just plugged in my USB DVD drive and used a clean OEM Windows disc to rebuild it.

I was pleasantly surprised when I bought my Alienware (Dell) laptop and all it had on it was Windows. For once I didn't have to spend a day wiping it and getting it rebuilt with a fresh install of Windows.

• @Master Chief said:

Still though, I do like HP laptops, even if it takes an afternoon to remove all the shit and get Windows up to date and un-fuckified.

My last one, a G61, wasn't too bad though, only took a couple hours to get all the proprietary bs removed and rip an image of the drive with clonezilla.

Damnit. Stop giving HP money for that. What's wrong with you people?

If you stop PAYING them, they'll stop shipping shit-- or they'll go out of business. Either way, we're all better off. You're like those gamers who buy every EA game, then gripe about the quality of EA games.

• @Matt Westwood said:

Just to clear it up: had to create the discs myself by using the "backup system" option or whatever it is (don't expect me to bother to remember all the correct names / terminologies for this heap of turd). That took a long time too, I can tell you.

The OEM "Create System Restore Disc" option includes (iirc) all of the bloatware and outdated drivers installed with the original system installation, including all of the trial softare.

When you restored your system using this method you also backed out ALL of the system updates you may have installed.  So Windows 7 SP1 install had to include everything, all of the updates and patches that occured between the time your systems OEM image was created and SP1 was released.  So it took much longer than usual.

Personally, I try not to use the OEM restore option.  But then again I have access to other resources.

• The crazy part of the Crapware problem?

Microsoft resells other companies machines through their own stores (and [url=http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Computers/category/4]store.microsoft.com[/url]) with their own drive image with all the non-Microsoft crapware removed... and certain pieces of Microsoft software installed (Microsoft Security Essentials, Zune, and Windows Live Essentials).

They even have a name for it: [url=http://signature.microsoft.com/]Microsoft Signature[/url].

@Schlagwerk said:

Team Fortress is already up to revision 7? And the Windows team is designing it? Wow, I'm behind the times.

I don't know about Team Fortress, but Team Fortress 2 is way past the 7th revision... more like revision 12 now.

• @powerlord said:

I don't know about Team Fortress, but Team Fortress 2 is way past the 7th revision... more like revision 12 now.

The Real WTF is that Team Fortress 2 is at least the third game in the Team Fortress series.

• @Someone You Know said:

@powerlord said:

The Real WTF is that Team Fortress 2 is at least the third game in the Team Fortress series.

Valve considered Team Fortress Classic to be a port of Team Fortress (1), hence they numbered the next game in the series Team Fortress 2.

•  @C4I_Officer said:

Fun fact: Matt Westwood's computer is a Pentium II with 256 MB of RAM. It "runs" Windows 7...like a man who has shit in his pants.

I'm sorry, I HAD to comment on that article:

@Felix said:

And thirdly, it caused the processor to operate harder and hotter, which increased the chance of your processor breaking down.

I read the article up until I got to that line. I love it how people can show their ignorance, as well as their stupidity in a single line and then pretending to know stuff.

[Edit]

I think it's pretty obvious why I am not quoting the OP. I thought it was that obvious he was a troll, incompetent as well as an ignorant brat who wants to show off his trolling skill to the league of extraordinary trolls, in order to fell part of the group...

• @BlackMan890 said:

@Felix said:

And thirdly, it caused the processor to operate harder and hotter, which increased the chance of your processor breaking down.

I read the article up until I got to that line. I love it how people can show their ignorance, as well as their stupidity in a single line and then pretending to know stuff.

Sounds ok to me.

If the CPU really gets hot, it'll pop... that's "breaking down", yes?

• @blakeyrat said:

Protip: don't take anger management classes from Louis Black.
    Comedy lessons, on the other hand... damn that guy is hilarious.

•  The Vostros I bought were indeed low on crap, but they were also slower than molasses dripping from Clinton's ice tits.  But they were really cheap, so oh well.

• @blakeyrat said:

@BlackMan890 said:

@Felix said:

Sounds ok to me.

If the CPU really gets hot, it'll pop... that's "breaking down", yes?

Guess there are only software people here. When the cpu gets really hot, and I'm talking about 110 - 120 C° then the computer will shut itself down in order to protect the CPU.  In other cases it will either run hot, throttle down or whatnot. In reality, causing a little extra load on the CPU is not a life changer. CPU is always in use when you are working on the computer. Operating harder is not really the correct term here. Operating hotter is another matter, either the cooler is sufficient, in which case nothing happens, or it's not and the cpu will get hot and either throttle down or shut down the cpu. The only time it will "pop" is when you forcefully remove the colling while the cpu is on maximum load and even then, that is not the necessary output (old amd, sure but nowadays).

I have seen lots of computer, some so full of dust and others just... bad and not a single case of broken CPU. CPU is not a graphic card.

•  @Medezark said:

Personally, I try not to use the OEM restore option.  But then again I have access to other resources.
    Isn't it great being an IT manager with a volume license agreement?

• @BlackMan890 said:

When the cpu gets really hot, and I'm talking about 110 - 120 C° then the computer will shut itself down in order to protect the CPU.

That's like saying it's impossible for an error to happen because you wrapped the line in an exception handler.

The reason the computer will shut itself down to protect the CPU is because a CPU running too hot will destroy itself. Which was the original assertion. Which is correct.

• @Medezark said:

Very good.

Extra hard drive + Windows Backup, scheduled to run weekly.  

I've had hardware issues out the wazzu and swapped out just about every component and reinstalled Windows.  Still got all my stuff, including downloaded TF2 maps, and left the computer on overnight to install my Steam games.