Crytek's Excellent Account Management



  • I wanted to try out the new Crysis 2 demo, a shiney new game to test my shiney new computer with. So I open it up, make a required account for their site, and just as I'm about to start, I get distracted and have to leave.

    Later on, I come back and try playing again. When I try to login though, it says it can't connect to multiplayer. I think maybe their server's down, so I'll go try to log onto the site directly.

    When I try, it says username/password is incorrect. Weird. I try resetting my password in case I spelt it wrong twice before, but it says that my email is registered at all.

    (highlighted for readability)

    Strange, I guess my account got deleted somehow. I guess I'll go back into game and try to make it again...


    Wait... my account doesn't exist, but I can't make a new some because my account already exists?



  • next WTF: you can enter info@example.org as your email address



  • @beermouse said:

    next WTF: you can enter info@example.org as your email address

    How is that a WTF? That's a perfectly valid email address.



  • @beermouse said:

    next WTF: you can enter info@example.org as your email address
    Not a wtf in and of itself. As pointed out, it's a valid email address; nothing at all wrong with it per-se.



    If it's used for non-trivial purposes and they assume that (because that's what you entered,) it's correct, without them verifying it first some how, then maybe...



  • @PJH said:

    @beermouse said:
    next WTF: you can enter info@example.org as your email address
    Not a wtf in and of itself. As pointed out, it's a valid email address; nothing at all wrong with it per-se.



    If it's used for non-trivial purposes and they assume that (because that's what you entered,) it's correct, without them verifying it first some how, then maybe...

    Exactly. I haven't tried it out, but I assumed that when beermouse said "you can enter", he meant it literally, as in the signup page would not vomit on that value. But if he meant that the system, say, uses emails for usernames, and accepts info@example.org as an email/username, then it is a WTF.



  •  Stop abusing my email address !



  • Crytek's been a bit of a WTF anyway. Another tech forum I'm on is pretty much rioting because they found that Crysis 1 looks better than Crysis 2, since they had to cripple their game engine to get it to work on the Xbox 360 and PS3.



  • Crybabies...



  •  Have you checked if they sent some kind of activation code to your email address?



  •  No code. Their servers seem to be exploding a little bit at the moment. Can't login on the website at all anymore.



  • maybe the servers are busy trying to get that activation mail to info@example.org?



  • @mott555 said:

    Crytek's been a bit of a WTF anyway. Another tech forum I'm on is pretty much rioting because they found that Crysis 1 looks better than Crysis 2, since they had to cripple their game engine to get it to work on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

    Crysis 1 wasn't "all that" anyway. Sure it had a lot of great effects, but it couldn't draw freakin' circles. One of their highly-publicized "oh look how awesome we are" screenshots featured a jeep with 10-sided tires. That bugged the shit out of me.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    0-sided tires. That bugged the shit out of me.
     

    Look, square wheels are shit, I grant you that, but to date AFAIK no game except Quake3 uses "real" curves, and Q3 only used them for the occasional arch.



  • @dhromed said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    0-sided tires. That bugged the shit out of me.
     

    Look, square wheels are shit, I grant you that, but to date AFAIK no game except Quake3 uses "real" curves, and Q3 only used them for the occasional arch.

    Unreal 3.0 does them, uses them very frequently, and it's contemporary with Crytek. Excuses, excuses.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Unreal 3.0 does them, uses them very frequently, and it's contemporary with Crytek. Excuses, excuses.
     

    I realize I quoted you as having 0-sided tires, which strikes me as funny.

    I do think it's time for proper curves to become mainstreamin game engines.All this polyshit is getting old.



  • @dhromed said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    Unreal 3.0 does them, uses them very frequently, and it's contemporary with Crytek. Excuses, excuses.
     

    I realize I quoted you as having 0-sided tires, which strikes me as funny.

    I do think it's time for proper curves to become mainstreamin game engines.All this polyshit is getting old.

    Actually, I talked to a buddy of mine who does game development, and he says most engines no longer support curved surfaces in the way Quake 3 did. Further, he said the reason they don't do that is:

    1) Autodesk modeling software doesn't support it, because it kind of sucks and they have a virtual monopoly. (The only real competition is Blender, which sucks ass.) They recently bought Maya, to cement their position

    2) It's not needed with modern rendering technology, since you can render the arch very high-poly, and then can simulate the curve using bump-mapping on each face of it.

    So... yeah. I guess Unreal 3 doesn't have it, it just has everything you need to simulate it to the point where I didn't notice it didn't have it.

    That all said, he also pointed out how shitty the wheels on Crysis vehicles looked.



  • The only real competition is Blender, which sucks ass.

    Matter of opinion. Boots in a fiftieth of the time, uses a tenth of the memory, UI is harder to learn but far quicker and less mouse driven.



    Oh, and everything from poly modelling to unwrapping not being tacked on as afterthought modifiers helps, too. Modellers love Max and shoot down anything else because it's widely taught, and after spending thousands on a modelling package they feel the need to justify their investment. I've used both and they're both pretty good, Max has better compatability with other programs and some advanced features that just aren't there on Blender, but for bashing out decent models quickly Blender is far better and lighter.



    I can't exactly pretend to be better than Crytek but some of their models are dire.
    http://www.incrysis.com/wiki/images/5/52/Atlas2.jpg



    I mean, seriously? All those pointless loops on the tracks adding nothing to the shape. And the symmetry line is still there wasting loads of polygons when it could be bridged across.



  • Actually, blakeyrat, what is meant to be in the near future is realtime tesselation of meshes - pretty much the Quake 3 bezier patch stuff but a bit more optimised. Also, Quake 3's bezier patches were static IIRC? You didn't have players running around with dynamically retriangulated heads.



    Unreal3 is really good at hiding the steps between detail levels.



    Bump mapping? Are we still using these terms in 2011? Bump mapping is an old, old technique from the Halo 1 days used for faking detail on flat surfaces by pretending there's highlights and shadow. What's commonly in use now is normal mapping, which actually distorts the lighting dot product per-pixel to make highlights and shadows properly. This still can't change the shape. The nearest things are cone step or relief mapping, which scroll the surface around depending upon view to try and fake depth that isn't there. You can use this to better approximate a curve. (especially with relief mapping) At the moment it's used sparingly for bricks/cobbles because it can be quite expensive for a decent implementation.



  • @nexekho said:

    Bump mapping? Are we still using these terms in 2011? Bump mapping is an old, old technique from the Halo 1 days used for faking detail on flat surfaces by pretending there's highlights and shadow. What's commonly in use now is normal mapping, which actually distorts the lighting dot product per-pixel to make highlights and shadows properly. This still can't change the shape. The nearest things are cone step or relief mapping, which scroll the surface around depending upon view to try and fake depth that isn't there. You can use this to better approximate a curve. (especially with relief mapping) At the moment it's used sparingly for bricks/cobbles because it can be quite expensive for a decent implementation.

    What the fuck ever. We get it, you do games dev, and I'm one step above the slime crawling out of the ocean. Post a few more times, please. Better hammer it in.



  • @nexekho said:

    Bump mapping? Are we still using these terms in 2011? Bump mapping is an old, old technique from the Halo 1 days used for faking detail on flat surfaces by pretending there's highlights and shadow. What's commonly in use now is normal mapping, which actually distorts the lighting dot product per-pixel to make highlights and shadows properly. This still can't change the shape. The nearest things are cone step or relief mapping, which scroll the surface around depending upon view to try and fake depth that isn't there. You can use this to better approximate a curve. (especially with relief mapping) At the moment it's used sparingly for bricks/cobbles because it can be quite expensive for a decent implementation.

    Out of curiosity, what technique exactly are you associating with "bump mapping"? Dot3 bump mapping? That's just normal mapping done in a primitive way. There is a variety of other applicable techniques as well. I generally consider "bump mapping" to be a blanket term that covers any technique used to introduce sub-polygon surface shapes to an object.

    Thanks for the heads-up on cone step mapping, I'll have to see about implementing it myself in place of the simpler parallax mapping I now have.



  • I can't stand this gamer nonsense so I'm probably not going to watch this thread, but I just wanted to point out TRTRWTFs.

    TRWTF the first: The OP didn't realize he was logging into the phpBB forums, which likely aren't the same system as the game user/pw.

    TRWTF the second: Forums have been around for over 15 years and yet pretty much everywhere has forums that make you use a different account then the main site.



  • @MiffTheFox said:

    TRWTF the first: The OP didn't realize he was logging into the phpBB forums, which likely aren't the same system as the game user/pw.
     

     It's supposed to be the same account. The game tells you to login using your mycrysis.com login info. I eventually got it working, I'm not sure if it was the one I created in game or the one on the site that ended up going through...



  • On a slight tangent: can anyone who's gotten this to work tell me if there's a single-player component to this demo? And will there be a single-player mode in the full game?



  • @Someone You Know said:

    On a slight tangent: can anyone who's gotten this to work tell me if there's a single-player component to this demo? And will there be a single-player mode in the full game?

     

    The demo is multiplayer only, unfortunately. Pretty sure there's gunna be single player in the full game, but it seems to be very Call of Duty-ified and multiplayer focused compared to the first game.

     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.