Is there a new scam scheme going on?



  • Hmm, how do I put this without sounding slightly paranoid?  To be fair I have mulled over this one, sorry I can't be very specific on this one.

    This is the thing.  I participate in very few websites, this one, the msdn, a hardware forum and a social forum.

    Now, the social forum only cater to corrupsylvanian and the spoken language is my mother tongue.  There appeared a few days ago someone that doesn't fit the profile, doesn't speak the language, is a national of a country that is not on good terms with corrupsylvania and a slight background check (gave full name, who does that?) reveal a few phishing pages and look alikes chatter so nothing concrete.  However you are able to chat with that person and has a sense of humor (when was the last time we met a scammer/spammer with one).  However, and this perhaps is nothing, is not fluent in its mother tongue, (could be illiterate) and it is a bit dense so perhaps is a corrupsylvanian trying to pass as a corrupsylvanian enemy to catch friendlies.  Also that is the only place that I mentioned my employer (corrupsylvania enemy) in passing

    So what do you think? Do I have to start taking pills or what

    Let me mention that my job is kinds of like the one Weng was thinking of taking and I know they keep tabs of me (it says so in the contract) and I'm fine with that, what worries me is the corrupsylvanian side



  • @serguey123 said:

    So what do you think? Do I have to start taking pills or what

    Uh, what exactly are you paranoid about? You haven't yet told us.

    So you frequent a forum speaking jibberish (easier to type than your made-up language), and a non-jibberish person joined the forum. You then searched their name and came up with a few phishing pages-- which BTW tells us nothing, since phishing pages come up when you search almost anybody's name.

    What are we supposed to think is the suspicious behavior here? That someone joined your forum who isn't a native gibberish speaker? (This is an English-language forum with posters who aren't native speakers, do you find that odd?)

    Yes, take the pills. You're completely off your rocker unless there's a lot here you're not telling us.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @serguey123 said:
    So what do you think? Do I have to start taking pills or what
    Uh, what exactly are you paranoid about? You haven't yet told us.

    So you frequent a forum speaking jibberish (easier to type than your made-up language), and a non-jibberish person joined the forum. You then searched their name and came up with a few phishing pages-- which BTW tells us nothing, since phishing pages come up when you search almost anybody's name.

    What are we supposed to think is the suspicious behavior here? That someone joined your forum who isn't a native gibberish speaker? (This is an English-language forum with posters who aren't native speakers, do you find that odd?)

    Yes, take the pills. You're completely off your rocker unless there's a lot here you're not telling us.

    Look I can't discuse my employer nor my nationaly, not on a public forum that google looks at.  I know that a lot of people here are not native english speakers, (I for one) but everybody in this forum does speak english to some degree.

    Yes there is a lot I'm not telling but would you be suspicious of someone that goes to a page where you can't communicate with 99% percentage of the users, that is very niche and that nationals are from a country that is an enemy of yours and that person belong to the armed forces and is on active duty so that can be construed as treason or at least a reprimand.

    Edited because of small mistake



  • The more you type the more paranoid you sound. Why don't you just ask this guy how he found the forum? You know, like a normal non-paranoid human being might?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    The more you type the more paranoid you sound. Why don't you just ask this guy how he found the forum? You know, like a normal non-paranoid human being might?

     

    Well, duh, that is the first thing I did, said that it was referred by a friend because the site was awesome and that person wanted to find its soulmate.  Again hard to believe someone besides nationals would now of that place and that they would recommend it to someone that doesn't speak gibberish.



  • So... wait, you're a SPY? And you're spying on the government of the employer that is employing you? And you're asking those of us who are here for ADVICE on what to do? You think any of us actually want to get involved with your espionage and risk being charged with treason from whatever nationality we might belong to? Maybe I'm just paranoid too, but you kind of remind me of one of my coworkers... Don't want to say who though, in case he's spying on me right now! Not that I think he is, but you never know... he seems like a decent enough guy, he just seems even more paranoid than I am...



  • @ekolis said:

    So... wait, you're a SPY? And you're spying on the government of the employer that is employing you? And you're asking those of us who are here for ADVICE on what to do? You think any of us actually want to get involved with your espionage and risk being charged with treason from whatever nationality we might belong to? Maybe I'm just paranoid too, but you kind of remind me of one of my coworkers... Don't want to say who though, in case he's spying on me right now! Not that I think he is, but you never know... he seems like a decent enough guy, he just seems even more paranoid than I am...

    Ha, ha this reminds me of MAD magazine

    Do I sound that far off, hmm?

    The only problem is that I'm actually serious, if you are going to crack jokes kindly fuck off



  • @serguey123 said:

    Well, duh, that is the first thing I did, said that it was referred by a friend because the site was awesome and that person wanted to find its soulmate.  Again hard to believe someone besides nationals would now of that place and that they would recommend it to someone that doesn't speak gibberish.

    Yeah, but of course if you're paranoid, you'd think he was lying, right? Hell, maybe I'm in on it, and I'm only advising you to calm down because it'll make it easier for my fellow agent to steal all your secrets, right? The KGB will pay much for your secrets, comrade!

    One more thing, then I'll stop:
    If you truly believe that this person might be spying on you for some reason, talk to your boss and have them look into it. (Assuming they have the authority.)



  • Yes, I am serious...



  • @blakeyrat said:

    If you truly believe that this person might be spying on you for some reason, talk to your boss and have them look into it. (Assuming they have the authority.)

    They have the authority, kind of. I work for a three letter agency :) but this might be out of their reach.

    Heck when did this thread became about spying? I'm thinking more about the lines of spam/scam, that person wanted emails to be sended to an email address, we sometimes get fake automated users trying the nigerian scam, (talk about a waste of time, the chance of them getting a mark there is 0).  The other scenario is not entirely impossible given my personal situation but is unlikely is solely targetted at me as I'm very carefull (in my line of work it pays to be paranoic), is more likely that is aimed at the whole crowd on that site to find/harvest sympathetic persons.

    FYI they are not called spies anymore and when you google my name nothing appears



  • I wish I could move on... I'm just afraid that if I blow the cover of whoever might be doing this hacking/spying, that they'd try and blame it all on me, because I know too much, or something - and I'd have no way to defend myself, having no actual hacking skill myself... And I'm afraid to bring it up to the person in question or anyone with any authority, because if I'm wrong, I'll probably be charged with harassment or something!



  • More on the subject, it is a scam, seems they are using both males and females scammers, it is a variant of the Nigerian scam, only they use US military troops deployed in the war instead, they seem to have a fine sense of humor but poor business sense going to that site.  I'll ban them but it will be futile until they realize they are not going to get money there.

    So case solve comrades, we can go back to useless talk now.



  • @ekolis said:

    I wish I could move on... I'm just afraid that if I blow the cover of whoever might be doing this hacking/spying, that they'd try and blame it all on me, because I know too much, or something - and I'd have no way to defend myself, having no actual hacking skill myself... And I'm afraid to bring it up to the person in question or anyone with any authority, because if I'm wrong, I'll probably be charged with harassment or something!

    Ok, ok, +1 you made me laugh,

    This is the problem with this kind of jobs, you see shadows everywhere, it comes with the territory.

    I could do something to them besides banning them from that place but my employer might take issue with that, again read the thread, now sod of and go do something productive.



  • Fine, then...

    Osama bin Laden is my pawn...

    Come and bring it on, FBI!



  • @ekolis said:

    Fine, then...

    Osama bin Laden is my pawn...

    Come and bring it on, FBI!

    We have you now :)

    But really I never though scammer where that dumb, there is no way anybody in that site will fall for that even if they liked american soldiers to begin with and there is no way to extract money from them.  Anyways I issued a warning and banned the two or three accounts that I found (they stand out a lot) but they'll be back, *sigh I had it those morons and Oracle not working the way any human would expect.



  • @serguey123 said:

    More on the subject, it is a scam, seems they are using both males and females scammers, it is a variant of the Nigerian scam, only they use US military troops deployed in the war instead, they seem to have a fine sense of humor but poor business sense going to that site.  I'll ban them but it will be futile until they realize they are not going to get money there.

    So case solve comrades, we can go back to useless talk now.

    Are drugs available in your country of living? You have no idea how crazy you sound. Maybe you are on verge of discovering big plot like Bourne identity movie or you are slowly going crazy. Either case see some specialist and don't come to forum for few weeks.



  • @Nagesh said:

    @serguey123 said:

    More on the subject, it is a scam, seems they are using both males and females scammers, it is a variant of the Nigerian scam, only they use US military troops deployed in the war instead, they seem to have a fine sense of humor but poor business sense going to that site.  I'll ban them but it will be futile until they realize they are not going to get money there.

    So case solve comrades, we can go back to useless talk now.

    Are drugs available in your country of living? You have no idea how crazy you sound. Maybe you are on verge of discovering big plot like Bourne identity movie or you are slowly going crazy. Either case see some specialist and don't come to forum for few weeks.

    I think that of all the comments I made in this thread you choosed one of the least crazy, the scam exist, check the previous tags for the link to the site that explain in detail how this works.

    Drugs? You mean recreational ones, they exist here of course but they are somewhat expensive to get and you might get in a world of trouble if you get caught with them, I don't even drink alcohol btw so...

    Look I overreacted, is over, move on, it just was a very odd place to try a romance scam.



  • @serguey123 said:

    Look I overreacted, is over, move on, it just was a very odd place to try a romance scam.

    You can't say "do I sound paranoid" without getting 40,000 responses saying, "yeah, you're paranoid."

    You made your pie, now sleep in it.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @serguey123 said:
    Look I overreacted, is over, move on, it just was a very odd place to try a romance scam.
    You can't say "do I sound paranoid" without getting 40,000 responses saying, "yeah, you're paranoid."

    You made your pie, now sleep in it.

    Hmmm, ok, I'll sleep on my pie, is mushy and warm anyways, I just wish people made more sense and read the whole thread before posting but I know, fat chance of that happening.



  • @serguey123 said:

    Hmmm, ok, I'll sleep on my pie, is mushy and warm anyways, I just wish people made more sense and read the whole thread before posting but I know, fat chance of that happening.

    This thread is about Fallout 3, right?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    This thread is about Fallout 3, right?

    I liked the art in that game, it was refreshing, the touches of humor were good and the storytelling was not bad, all in all a much better game than Fallout 1 and 2.  Played Portal recently, it was good, and funny but short and some of the comments by the developer where interesting, if they make it very cheap I'll consider buying the second part.



  • @serguey123 said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    This thread is about Fallout 3, right?

    I liked the art in that game, it was refreshing, the touches of humor were good and the storytelling was not bad, all in all a much better game than Fallout 1 and 2.  Played Portal recently, it was good, and funny but short and some of the comments by the developer where interesting, if they make it very cheap I'll consider buying the second part.

    Portal 2 is supposedly going to be a full-size game... at least, Valve is charging that much. At least it has multiplayer.

    I just finished Overlord, which was pretty fun. Overlord 2 next.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Portal 2 is supposedly going to be a full-size game... at least, Valve is charging that much. At least it has multiplayer.

    I just finished Overlord, which was pretty fun. Overlord 2 next.

    Multiplayer is not important for me as I don't like to play with others.  A friend of mine has those, I'll consider them althought someone told me they got a bit repetitive after a while and that there is not much change between 1 and 2 to make it worthwhile.  From the fragments I have seen they seemed funny and that is important to me so that is a big plus.



  • I'm curious how the multiplayer in AssBro is supposed to work. You're basically the most conspicuous person in all of Italy.

     

    Yesterday, spent some hours on Wikipedia reading up on the real historical Assassin faction in Syria around 1100, and Salah-ad-Din etcetera. turns out Masyaf exists but the game version is totally different, and there's no mention of an Al-Mualim or similar-sounding name which I thought was a pity. Nonetheless, I really like how they weaved the dramatization of AssCreed into real history. I guess it also explains why, in AssCreed I, every Saracen guard in the Kingdom attacks on sight: they're Saladin's men who were active in the region at that time and at odds with the Hashashin. It doesn't explain why the Kingdom contains Richard's Flags, though, as Richard had only just begun the Third crusade and certainly was never the ruler of those lands.



  • @dhromed said:

    I'm curious how the multiplayer in AssBro is supposed to work. You're basically the most conspicuous person in all of Italy.

    Yesterday, spent some hours on Wikipedia reading up on the real historical Assassin faction in Syria around 1100, and Salah-ad-Din etcetera. turns out Masyaf exists but the game version is totally different, and there's no mention of an Al-Mualim or similar-sounding name which I thought was a pity. Nonetheless, I really like how they weaved the dramatization of AssCreed into real history. I guess it also explains why, in AssCreed I, every Saracen guard in the Kingdom attacks on sight: they're Saladin's men who were active in the region at that time and at odds with the Hashashin. It doesn't explain why the Kingdom contains Richard's Flags, though, as Richard had only just begun the Third crusade and certainly was never the ruler of those lands.

    Of all people you list, I know of Hashashin. This arbaic word is where English word "assassin" come from.



  • @dhromed said:

    I'm curious how the multiplayer in AssBro is supposed to work. You're basically the most conspicuous person in all of Italy.

     

    Yesterday, spent some hours on Wikipedia reading up on the real historical Assassin faction in Syria around 1100, and Salah-ad-Din etcetera. turns out Masyaf exists but the game version is totally different, and there's no mention of an Al-Mualim or similar-sounding name which I thought was a pity. Nonetheless, I really like how they weaved the dramatization of AssCreed into real history. I guess it also explains why, in AssCreed I, every Saracen guard in the Kingdom attacks on sight: they're Saladin's men who were active in the region at that time and at odds with the Hashashin. It doesn't explain why the Kingdom contains Richard's Flags, though, as Richard had only just begun the Third crusade and certainly was never the ruler of those lands.

    Err, you know that entertainment industry!=reality right?  It is one of the foundations of the industry.  Everyday stuff is not entertainment.  I think there is a paper on this somewhere.  Also the fact that we are hunting for an alien artifact or that you are really in a machine and that you can see some weird ass letters haven't clued you in to the fact that this is not reality?



  • @serguey123 said:

    Err, you know that entertainment industry!=reality right?  It is one of the foundations of the industry.  Everyday stuff is not entertainment.

    What bugs me most is when people see events in the news, say school shootings, and they get all, "OMG school shootings are happening all the time! Every month there's a new one!"

    But what they don't realize is:
    1) By definition, news is rare. Things that happen every day (say, fatal car accidents that kill more Americans than any other non-health-related cause) don't get reported on in the news
    2) Considering how wide a net they cast (basically, all 350 million people in the US, plus Canada, plus most English-speaking foreign countries, plus some non-English-speaking-but-we're-friendly-with foreign countries), one school shooting a month is pretty much... nothing.

    I really think news outlets should report the odds. "Well that was an awful shooting, 12 students dead! Our insurance statistician tells us the chances that you or somebody you know will be killed in a school shooting is 1 in 820 million." (Of course then dumb people might think "820 million is a large number! That means it's really likely!")



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @serguey123 said:
    Err, you know that entertainment industry!=reality right?  It is one of the foundations of the industry.  Everyday stuff is not entertainment.
    What bugs me most is when people see events in the news, say school shootings, and they get all, "OMG school shootings are happening all the time! Every month there's a new one!"

    But what they don't realize is:
    1) By definition, news is rare. Things that happen every day (say, fatal car accidents that kill more Americans than any other non-health-related cause) don't get reported on in the news
    2) Considering how wide a net they cast (basically, all 350 million people in the US, plus Canada, plus most English-speaking foreign countries, plus some non-English-speaking-but-we're-friendly-with foreign countries), one school shooting a month is pretty much... nothing.

    I really think news outlets should report the odds. "Well that was an awful shooting, 12 students dead! Our insurance statistician tells us the chances that you or somebody you know will be killed in a school shooting is 1 in 820 million." (Of course then dumb people might think "820 million is a large number! That means it's really likely!")

    I agree, to that let me add

    1. Did you watched that documentary from Michael Moore about the fact that television tries to scare american to death by lying bloating and overdramatizing stuff, I think it was "Bowling For Columbine", I don't agree with everything the guy says but he has a point
    2. It is a bussiness, scary, totally unlikely stuff ups the rating, that translate into more money so the chance of this actually happening is lower than getting killed in a school shooting
    3. American news media pretty much talk about America, Bill Bryce in an article once counted the ammount of international news in the news media and it was appalling


  • @serguey123 said:

    Did you watched that documentary from Michael Moore about the fact that television tries to scare american to death by lying bloating and overdramatizing stuff, I think it was "Bowling For Columbine", I don't agree with everything the guy says but he has a point

    I have no problem with the news reporting primarily bad news instead of good. That's pretty much what the news has always done, and at least they're not just pulling shit out of their asses like they used to in the early 20th century.

    My problem is that they never emphasize how rare these events are. If the news actually reported the number of deaths each year on US freeways (around 34,000) with the same intensity as they reported the 9/11 terrorism attack (around 3,000), we wouldn't be in a "war on terrorism", we'd be in a "war on freeway safety." And society would benefit more, much more, from the latter-- for one thing it wouldn't require sacrificing civil liberties to prosecute.

    @serguey123 said:

    American news media pretty much talk about America, Bill Bryce in an article once counted the ammount of international news in the news media and it was appalling

    This I don't have a problem with (disclaimer: read on). I wager that our news isn't any more US-centric than China's news is China-centric... if you live in a small country, yeah, it seems like we're huge egotists. But the reality is that the US is big and generally operates stand-alone.

    That said, the real scourge in American news is 24-hour cable news networks. There are, what, 4 big ones now and smaller regional ones. There's simply not enough news to justify that. The 24-hour cable news networks *should* be covering more International news, because otherwise they're just repeating the same story over and over and over again to pad out running-time. (Even worse: they'll report on obvious "why is this news?" bullshit, like that hydrogen balloon that obviously never had a kid in it. What a crock of shit that was.)

    Half-hour, or hour-long news shows are one thing, but those 24-hour cable news networks are what's really killing media. Well, that and the fact that media doesn't seem to really give a shit about its declining quality. (They love to post navel-gazing stories "editorial: Should the news have followed a balloon far too tiny to carry a kid for 5 hours non-stop? No!", but they never make any actual improvements to coverage.)



  • Hey, are you not the one always saying that we should try to do better, the fact that they always had shitty quality is no excuse. 

    I agree that news without context is not good news, but bad news without context is shit, I stopped watching the conventional news because of that.

    No, I totally get that national news should be about the nation, the problem is that international segments are not only short but are almost always about the nation as well.  There is a lack of awareness that there is a world out there, that and the fact the viewer gets treated as a retarded moron and every piece of news is regurgitaded shit until it becomes bland are the reason I don't watch CNN and the like anymore.

    Staring at the Wheater Channel wall is more amusing than modern news.



  • @serguey123 said:

    Err, you know that entertainment industry!=reality right?  It is one of the foundations of the industry.  Everyday stuff is not entertainment.  I think there is a paper on this somewhere.  Also the fact that we are hunting for an alien artifact or that you are really in a machine and that you can see some weird ass letters haven't clued you in to the fact that this is not reality?
     

    I have no idea what made you post that.

    You do realize that the Hashashin were a real group of people, right? And that the game contains a great many real, historical elements? Do you understand that I am simply enamoured by this game and wish to express that by reflecting on it, even if nobody cares?

    Also,
    And I would like to emphasize this,
    I keep hearing that stuff about aliens, even though there are no aliens in any of the games. There's only a mention of a first advanced civilization or whatever, so if anything, AssCreed is a retelling of the Atlantis mythos with a fun tie-in to the first bit of Genesis.



  • @dhromed said:

    I have no idea what made you post that.

    You do realize that the Hashashin were a real group of people, right? And that the game contains a great many real, historical elements? Do you understand that I am simply enamoured by this game and wish to express that by reflecting on it, even if nobody cares?

    Also,
    And I would like to emphasize this,
    I keep hearing that stuff about aliens, even though there are no aliens in any of the games. There's only a mention of a first advanced civilization or whatever, so if anything, AssCreed is a retelling of the Atlantis mythos with a fun tie-in to the first bit of Genesis.

    Well, you were like oh, the game and the historical fact don't match, so my post was: they don't need to, is a game

    On the alien stuff, I was mostly joking and the ending and tidbits are open enough to warrant speculation but...

    Atlantian? really? Are they better than aliens?  In what way?  Games that try to pull shit like this I hate.  When atlantian are used in this context they are no better than alien races building pyramids,  Plato's account has nothing to do with this so is bullshit ok?



  • @serguey123 said:

    Well, you were like oh, the game and the historical fact don't match, so my post was: they don't need to, is a game
     

    Oh that. Ok.

    I just felt that given the attention given to making the history of the land feel real in crucial points, they might have  constructed Masyaf as it really was back then, or chosen one of the other citadels that more closely matched what Ubi had in mind.

    @serguey123 said:

    Atlantian? really? Are they better than aliens?  In what way?

    They're presumably from earth and don't carry the little-green-men connotations that ooh aliens usually does. Additionally, it's a new take on existing myth, rather than random ooh aliens deus ex machinal shit. That really grounds it for me and makes me more willing to suspend disbelief. Otherwise it's equal to A Wizard Did It. (apologies for the tvtropes link)

    @serguey123 said:

    Games that try to pull shit like this I hate.

    Pull shit like what, exactly? Include fictional elements? Because that tends to happen.

    @serguey123 said:

    When atlantian are used in this context they are no better than alien races building pyramids

    I disagree. I think the difference in origin is absolutely crucial. Aliens are from outer space and chucking them in would be a bad move. Atlantians, however, are an old, mysterious, vanished non-existant civilization about which is little known. That's a good premise. You can work with that.

     

     

     



  • @serguey123 said:

    Atlantian? really? Are they better than aliens?  In what way?

     

    @dhromed said:

    They're presumably from earth and don't carry the little-green-men connotations that ooh aliens usually does. Additionally, it's a new take on existing myth, rather than random ooh aliens deus ex machinal shit. That really grounds it for me and makes me more willing to suspend disbelief. Otherwise it's equal to A Wizard Did It. (apologies for the tvtropes link)

    Look, atlantian have been done to death and in some cases they are aliens so to me aliens and atlantian are in the same category: we could not think of something better so we putted some random shit to make it work

    @serguey123 said:

    Games that try to pull shit like this I hate.

    @dhromed said:

    Pull shit like what, exactly? Include fictional elements? Because that tends to happen.

    No, I'm ok with fictional elements as long as they are original, not some recycled shit.

    @serguey123 said:

    When atlantian are used in this context they are no better than alien races building pyramids

    @dhromed said:

    I disagree. I think the difference in origin is absolutely crucial. Aliens are from outer space and chucking them in would be a bad move. Atlantians, however, are an old, mysterious, vanished non-existant civilization about which is little known.

    You can replace atlantian with aliens and the sentence is still true.

    I hate that guy with the hat that says that everything unknown  was done by the aliens that is coincidentally from the netherlands, that shows lack of imagination to me and is akin to saying god did it or the weak entrophy law did it, they are just excuses because we have no better idea



  • On a totally unrelated note, Blakeyrat, thanks for the tip about Overlord, is quite interesting, both games are different enough to make them enjoyable, in the second part they introduced sufficient elements to make it fun again.

    The only thing I hate is the blues, damn those weakling and the dodo birds, curse those as well, glad they died out



  • @serguey123 said:

    to me aliens and atlantian are in the same category
     

    OK, I get that.

    Then I hope you find some interactive work of fiction of the same production quality as AssCreed and that you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed this. :)

    @serguey123 said:

    I hate that guy with the hat that says that everything unknown  was done by the aliens that is coincidentally from the netherlands

    What guy? I'm thinking of top hats, so I have trouble imagining who you mean.

     



  • @serguey123 said:

    @dhromed said:

    Pull shit like what, exactly? Include fictional elements? Because that tends to happen.

    No, I'm ok with fictional elements as long as they are original, not some recycled shit.

    In other news, the next Elder Scrolls game is going to fill their fairly original and ridiculously fleshed-out unique fantasy world with generic dragons. Ugh.

    How about for once putting the other non-humanoid Khajit forms into a game? I'd much rather fight a 30' long half-sentient cat-monster than a generic dragon. That would actually rock. It's in the lore, it's just never been in the game.



  • @serguey123 said:

    On a totally unrelated note, Blakeyrat, thanks for the tip about Overlord, is quite interesting, both games are different enough to make them enjoyable, in the second part they introduced sufficient elements to make it fun again.

    The only thing I hate is the blues, damn those weakling and the dodo birds, curse those as well, glad they died out

    Yeah, it has some AI issues too. Browns are supposed to be your main fighters, but they don't freakin' auto-attack things that come into range the way greens and reds do. That makes the quest in the expansion with the slugs and rats ridiculously hard to complete... if you set it up so the browns kill the slugs they'll just sit there like morons and die. And I understand making blues delicate because they're healers, but you're right: they're ridiculously fragile. They're also not very aggressive about resurrecting, so you kind of have to babysit them and sweep them over the dead guys also. Frankly. I just ended up not really using blues at all except where they're required.

    I haven't started Overlord 2 yet. My buddy bought me a pack of Ubisoft games, and I haven't decided which game to play next yet.



  • @dhromed said:

    @serguey123 said:

    to me aliens and atlantian are in the same category
     

    OK, I get that.

    Then I hope you find some interactive work of fiction of the same production quality as AssCreed and that you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed this. :)

    @serguey123 said:

    I hate that guy with the hat that says that everything unknown  was done by the aliens that is coincidentally from the netherlands

    What guy? I'm thinking of top hats, so I have trouble imagining who you mean.

     

    Look, I don't like AssCreed type of game but the game is well made, generally speaking, I just don't like how some games sometimes fuck up the story or lower its quality because that is what I enjoy the most of a game, the storytelling.

    The crazy guy with the hat, hmm, sorry about that, that was the only image of him that lingered in my head, I read some of his books and saw some of his documentaries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_von_D%C3%A4niken, the guy is swiss I think, further proof they should just make clocks and keep the crazy theories to themselves.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @serguey123 said:

    On a totally unrelated note, Blakeyrat, thanks for the tip about Overlord, is quite interesting, both games are different enough to make them enjoyable, in the second part they introduced sufficient elements to make it fun again.

    The only thing I hate is the blues, damn those weakling and the dodo birds, curse those as well, glad they died out

    Yeah, it has some AI issues too. Browns are supposed to be your main fighters, but they don't freakin' auto-attack things that come into range the way greens and reds do. That makes the quest in the expansion with the slugs and rats ridiculously hard to complete... if you set it up so the browns kill the slugs they'll just sit there like morons and die. And I understand making blues delicate because they're healers, but you're right: they're ridiculously fragile. They're also not very aggressive about resurrecting, so you kind of have to babysit them and sweep them over the dead guys also. Frankly. I just ended up not really using blues at all except where they're required.

    I haven't started Overlord 2 yet. My buddy bought me a pack of Ubisoft games, and I haven't decided which game to play next yet.

    Sadly some of those problems are present in Overlord 2 and then some, for example now the minions utterly fail at picking all the loot and bringing it to you, sometimes they ignore the loot, sometimes they don't seem to be able to find you.  You can upgrade your minions now, perhaps that will make the blues less fragile.  So far the game is good, elf hippies, need I say more?

    My current gripe with the blues in Overlord 1 is in one of the situation you have to sweep one to pick an egg to distract the birds while the other goes and pick a stick.  The problem is that the damn thing pick the stick and stays there instead of coming here and dies horribly and if I call it, it drops the stick, arrghh.



  • @serguey123 said:

    Sadly some of those problems are present in Overlord 2 and then some, for example now the minions utterly fail at picking all the loot and bringing it to you, sometimes they ignore the loot, sometimes they don't seem to be able to find you.  You can upgrade your minions now, perhaps that will make the blues less fragile.  So far the game is good, elf hippies, need I say more?

    In the first game, you could (kinda) upgrade them too... you get a choice of which ones to upgrade based on which wench you decide to keep, and I kept Rose. (Who upgrades Browns and Reds, IIRC. The slutty chick upgrades Greens and Blues.) So I never had the upgraded Blues. After that point, your upgraded ones pop out of the ground with like 150% armor, so it's a pretty significant upgrade.

    @serguey123 said:

    My current gripe with the blues in Overlord 1 is in one of the situation you have to sweep one to pick an egg to distract the birds while the other goes and pick a stick.  The problem is that the damn thing pick the stick and stays there instead of coming here and dies horribly and if I call it, it drops the stick, arrghh.

    I didn't have that problem, but you know there's two types of call, right? There "come back one at a time" if you tap the button (I used an Xbox controller, presumably the controls are the same on a keyboard), and there's the "everybody come back and reset" call when you hold it down for a couple seconds. I never used the latter because it destroys all your flags, I usually just moved my minions by grouping them under flags and moving the flags... seemed to work better for hard fights.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    In the first game, you could (kinda) upgrade them too... you get a choice of which ones to upgrade based on which wench you decide to keep, and I kept Rose. (Who upgrades Browns and Reds, IIRC. The slutty chick upgrades Greens and Blues.) So I never had the upgraded Blues. After that point, your upgraded ones pop out of the ground with like 150% armor, so it's a pretty significant upgrade.

    Ohh, good to know, I think I haven't progressed enough in the story for this to happen

    @blakeyrat said:

     

    I didn't have that problem, but you know there's two types of call, right? There "come back one at a time" if you tap the button (I used an Xbox controller, presumably the controls are the same on a keyboard), and there's the "everybody come back and reset" call when you hold it down for a couple seconds. I never used the latter because it destroys all your flags, I usually just moved my minions by grouping them under flags and moving the flags... seemed to work better for hard fights.

    Yes I know about this, it doesn't help with the fact that the blue stays like an idiot with the stick in its hands waiting to be mobbed by the dodo birds or that when I recall it, it drops the stick.  I think I will just kill the dodo birds either by luring them to a group of reds or mobbing them with a bunch of blues (it works but I might need to go to the blues home to stock on a ton of blue souls, which is boring)



  • @serguey123 said:

    Yes I know about this, it doesn't help with the fact that the blue stays like an idiot with the stick in its hands waiting to be mobbed by the dodo birds or that when I recall it, it drops the stick.  I think I will just kill the dodo birds either by luring them to a group of reds or mobbing them with a bunch of blues (it works but I might need to go to the blues home to stock on a ton of blue souls, which is boring)

    If you're talking about where I think you're talking about, I thought the point was to lure the birds onto dry land where your Browns and Greens could mob them and kill them. Then once they're dead, you send the blue for the handle... have you tried that?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    If you're talking about where I think you're talking about, I thought the point was to lure the birds onto dry land where your Browns and Greens could mob them and kill them. Then once they're dead, you send the blue for the handle... have you tried that?

    No, provided we are talking about the same place then I'll try it as soon as I get home, if this doesn't work then the blues will sacrifice their lifes for me :'(



  • @serguey123 said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    If you're talking about where I think you're talking about, I thought the point was to lure the birds onto dry land where your Browns and Greens could mob them and kill them. Then once they're dead, you send the blue for the handle... have you tried that?

    No, provided we are talking about the same place then I'll try it as soon as I get home, if this doesn't work then the blues will sacrifice their lifes for me :'(

    BTW, if you have the expansion, get the Helm ASAP. When you're wearing it, you get 2 soul points from every colored ball instead of one... it solves your grinding problem for good!



  • @blakeyrat said:

    BTW, if you have the expansion, get the Helm ASAP. When you're wearing it, you get 2 soul points from every colored ball instead of one... it solves your grinding problem for good!

    Ohh, ok, I have it in Overlord 2 but not yet in Overlord 1, so it is in the Abyss?



  • @serguey123 said:

    @blakeyrat said:

    BTW, if you have the expansion, get the Helm ASAP. When you're wearing it, you get 2 soul points from every colored ball instead of one... it solves your grinding problem for good!

    Ohh, ok, I have it in Overlord 2 but not yet in Overlord 1, so it is in the Abyss?

    You're simultaneously playing the game and its sequel? ... kay.

    Anyway, it's in the Abyss under Heaven's Peak. You don't have to finish the Abyss yet, just go far enough to get the helm. (About 3 puzzles in.)



  • @blakeyrat said:

    You're simultaneously playing the game and its sequel? ... kay.

    Anyway, it's in the Abyss under Heaven's Peak. You don't have to finish the Abyss yet, just go far enough to get the helm. (About 3 puzzles in.)

    Yes I'm weird, I thought we stablished that, at least I'm not splitting the screen and playing them at the same time (hmm, interesting idea).  Now that I have the blues I can go further so I'll do that, thanks for the tip


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.