Would you?

• A friend of mine is in the landscaping business. As such, he does a lot of snow plowing in the winter, particularly this year.

During the last major storm, he slipped on some ice and hurt his back so he couldn't drive. [Un]fortunately, he had several contracts with a few communities that he was stuck honoring. As a favor, I agreed to drive the truck and do the plowing.

Since one of the communities is right near where my mother lives, I swung by her cul-de-sac and plowed a path - not the whole lot; just a path, and dug out her car.

One of the old ladies that lives there complained that I wasn't doing a very good job. She obviously mistook me for someone who was being paid to plow out their development, and I explained as much to her. She then went into a tirade that I should still plow her out.

My mother said I should have plowed all the snow in the cul-de-sac - onto and around the woman's car. My mother has the beginnings of Alzheimers so sometimes she can be a little nasty herself at this point...

Now the other woman was very nasty, and probably deserved it, but I didn't. My friends say I should have.

Would YOU have?

•  Nope.  I'd take my cue from the complainer herself.  Tell her as soon as you get paid for plowing the cul-de-sac, you'll do it, and does she want to write you a check right now or you also take credit cards?

• Flip her the bird, give her the nastiest insult you can think of, and put her on the mental ignore list.

• Without hesitation.

• I would not have; in the US that might be considered vandalism (depending on the state), especially if it damaged the car in any way.

• Think back to Jr. High School - this is about that level of maturity.

Do you REALLY want to "win" just so the other kids can think you are "cool"?

Sometimes just walking away is the "grown up" thing to do.

• Depends how capable the woman yelling at me looked and just how much snow there was.  If it was 3-6 inches no, but if she looked relatively feeble and it was 6+ then probably.  I mean its not much work with a plow and at that point she probably would have trouble handling it herself.  Really its a matter of how much of a pain someone is doing vs. how much of a problem they would have doing it themselves (meaning if it wasn't a little old lady then I'd build curbs around the car so they are more likely to try just driving through them and getting stuck).

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

QOOC:
    @snoofle said:

One of the old ladies that lives there complained that I wasn't doing a very good job

@snoofle said:
    She then went into a tirade that I should still plow her out.

@snoofle said:
    Would YOU have?

Probably not.

• Reminds me of the time we were driving down a quiet country road at about 2am and to my surprise we came across a traffic jam.  We sat patiently for 5 or 10 minutes and then I got out and walked to the front of the jam to see what the problem was.

I found cars on both sides of the road just sitting looking at a tree that had fallen down blocking the road.  I went back to my car (a Landrover Defender), drove past the waiting traffic and backed up to the tree.  I hooked a rope around it and was just hooking the rope up to my towbar when the driver of the front car came across.  "About *$%£ing time!" he shouted.,  "We've been waiting here for half a %$*#ing hour!"

I unhooked the rope chucked it in the back of my Landrover, drove across a ditch to bypass the fallen tree and left them all to their now extended wait.

• @spike_tt said:

I unhooked the rope chucked it in the back of my Landrover, drove across a ditch to bypass the fallen tree and left them all to their now extended wait.
    I must say you're my hero of the day.

• @snoofle said:

Would YOU have?
    Nope. I don't react well when people are being disrespectful. As for age just because you're old and frail now doesn't mean you haven't spent your life being a bitch. Now if she had asked nicely and doing a little work would save her a lot of effort. then I might have.

• @spike_tt said:

Landrover

What if you didn't have a Landrover, or if the tree had been too big? :(

• @snoofle said:

Would YOU have?

Would I've what?

1. Remove the old lady's snow: No. You were just there as a friendly thing to your mom.
    2. Toss the snow onto the old hag's car: No, that would be spiteful and childish.

• @dhromed said:

@spike_tt said:

Landrover

What if you didn't have a Landrover, or if the tree had been too big? :(

Filed under: I have a dream, Stargate Atlantis, James Bond, category, mini nukes solve everything

FTFY.

• And your story reminds me of the time, many years ago, when I was driving up Highway 1 during an icy winter storm (WTF) and came across a traffic jam. Turns out some power lines were down across the road and everyone was just sitting in their cars waiting for somebody else to do something about it. I pulled off the road and joined them for a while. Well, I remembered that I had a decent sized hunk of PVC pipe in the trunk of my car so, I took it out and dragged one of the lines off the road. A guy in another car jumps out, grabs a wet, downed tree branch and attempts to do the same thing. A second later he was howling and running back to his car. I used my PVC pipe to drag the last wire off the road and got back in my car. THEN ... none of the ungrateful bastards that I just freed from their icy prison would let me back into traffic! I was so pissed off I nearly ran one of them off the road. And HE honked at ME. I don't do favors for humans anymore. They just don't deserve it. About two miles up the road I passed a PG&E truck waiting in line with everyone else heading the other direction.

• @rudraigh said:

I don't do favors for humans anymore. They just don't deserve it.

Rudraigh is an extraterrestrial!

Well, either that or he is God incarnate, or a masochistic human... let's see what happens next time he needs a favor done for him!

• Hey Snoofle, weren't you the guy that emailed a virus bomb to your brother-in-law for pestering you too much?

I see now where you get it from.  But why the doubts this time? 

• @Hatshepsut said:

Hey Snoofle, weren't you the guy that emailed a virus bomb to your brother-in-law for pestering you too much?

I see now where you get it from.  But why the doubts this time? 

There is a difference between real life violence and internet violence.  We are probably better at the latter and more likely to get away with it.

• @pearl298 said:

Think back to Jr. High School - this is about that level of maturity.

Do you REALLY want to "win" just so the other kids can think you are "cool"?

Sometimes just walking away is the "grown up" thing to do.

Hey! You can't give mature, reasonable advice here! This is a TDWTF forum!

• I probably would have avoided the situation by plowing the whole cul-de-sac without having been asked to first, just because if I was there I might as well, but that's just me.