The Nigerians are thinking of you...



  • Found a nice email in my inbox this morning -

    Re: Your Alert
    
    
    
    IGG, Inc wishes to inform you of the results of the Strike-It-Lucky Mail Promotion held in Bolton, Lancashire - United Kingdom on Saturday 19th February, 2011. Your email account has been picked as a winner.
    
    Your Winning Details:
    
    Reference #: IGP-GPG/279-QE5391FK89
    Batch #: 53JQX-Y437
    Amount Won: 739,761.25 Pounds Sterling
    
    INSTRUCTIONS TO CLAIM
    
    To redeem your prize, please visit our office with a print-out of this message and a copy of any valid identification at: 43 Chorley Old Road, Bolton, Lancashire BL1 3AD, United Kingdom
    
    If you are unable to claim in person at our office due to your location or any other reason, please send an email with the details given below to: veettoukeeh@dunflimblag.mailexpire.com
    
    * Full Names:
    * Address:
    * Telephone:
    * Best Time to Call You:
    
    All Participating emails were picked out from World Wide Web on a random basis. This program was held in conjunction with major email providers in over 120 countries worldwide.
    
    
    Copyright © 2011 IGG, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    

    Ok, everything normal for a scam there... But what's this, an actual physical address... I wonder...


    Yes, the physical address is the Bolton "Victim Support and Witness Service"...



  •  What I don't understand about all of those scams is how they expect people to believe that somebody is, out of the goodness of their heart, entering you into big-money lotteries and sweepstakes all around the world and nicely informing you when you win, all without the necessity of you actually taking any action to buy a ticket or enter a contest.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    Some people enter more lotteries and sweepstakes than they can keep track of. These people, incidentally, receive a lot of junk email.



  • @dtobias said:

    What I don't understand about all of those scams is how they expect people to believe that somebody is, out of the goodness of their heart, entering you into big-money lotteries and sweepstakes all around the world and nicely informing you when you win, all without the necessity of you actually taking any action to buy a ticket or enter a contest.
    ...really? Have you met the average joe?? 

    And a little food for thought... these people each have a vote.



  • @DOA said:

    ...really? Have you met the average joe?? 

    I've always thought everybody in the world should be required by law to work either fast food, or mall retail, no matter how rich, connected, etc. There are too many people who simply don't know what the average person is, due to never really having to talk to them a hundred times a day.

    The real WTF is "pounds sterling". Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro? I recall watching a movie based around that premise in, what, 2004? ("Millions".)



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro?
    No.



  • Hm ... anyone else reminded of a classic "scam"?

    Hint:  "If you go to my brother's pet shop in Bolton, he'll replace your parrot for you." "Bolton, eh?"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE



  • @PJH said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro?
    No.

    Then explain the movie!



  • It was considered for a while that the UK might switch to the Euro, and in 2004 someone might have considered it a certainty.



  • @nexekho said:

    It was considered for a while that the UK might switch to the Euro, and in 2004 someone might have considered it a certainty.

    But it was the whole premise of the movie! ... now explain why the younger son hallucinated various saints.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    But it was the whole premise of the movie! ... now explain why the younger son hallucinated various saints.

    Based on the IMDB write-up, I suspect it's due to concussion.

    TRRWTF is, of course, Google's attempt to guess where on a road a specific property is. The Victim Support service is actually at 31 Chorley Old Road.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @PJH said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro?
    No.

    Then explain the movie!

    The movie was wrong.

    It happens.



  • @El_Heffe said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    @PJH said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro?
    No.

    Then explain the movie!

    The movie was wrong.

    It happens.

    Feh. Next thing, you'll be saying they just made up Darth Vader.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @El_Heffe said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    @PJH said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro?
    No.

    Then explain the movie!

    The movie was wrong.

    It happens.

    Feh. Next thing, you'll be saying they just made up Darth Vader.

    Whoa! Slow down! Let's not start talking crazy!

     



  • @blakeyrat said:

    @El_Heffe said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    @PJH said:
    @blakeyrat said:
    Weren't you UK types supposed to switch to the Euro?
    No.

    Then explain the movie!

    The movie was wrong.

    It happens.

    Feh. Next thing, you'll be saying they just made up Darth Vader.

    Or [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853096/]the Bush Assasination[/url]


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.