A little knowledge...

• A friend of mine for whom I wrote and installed a simple java client-server application started calling and complaining that the server would periodically shut down for no apparent reason. And it would always restart without error when he relaunched it.

After the usual who-did-what-before-it-crashed (nothing), any-errors-in-the-logs (no), etc questions, I added some debugs and waited.

Sure enough, it happened again. And again. And again. Finally, I take a long lunch and head over to his office.

I am now standing there watching over his shoulder to see what's going on with his pc when I notice him bring up task manager and start killing java processes.

WTF are you doing?

While disinfecting my computer, the guy at Geek Squad did this to see what programs were running, and he killed the viruses by pressing end-task so I'm doing that too. I don't know what these programs are; I don't use java; these don't belong here so I'm killing them. But they keep reappearing every day. My pc must be infected again.

*headdesk*

• Nice!  A picture perfect example of the old adage.

• @snoofle said:

*headdesk*
    I hope it was his head.

• See, everybody instinctively knows Java is crap, even if they don't know what it is!

• @snoofle said:

A friend of mine for whom I wrote and installed a simple java client-server application started calling and complaining that the server would periodically shut down for no apparent reason. And it would always restart without error when he relaunched it.

After the usual who-did-what-before-it-crashed (nothing), any-errors-in-the-logs (no), etc questions, I added some debugs and waited.

Sure enough, it happened again. And again. And again. Finally, I take a long lunch and head over to his office.

I am now standing there watching over his shoulder to see what's going on with his pc when I notice him bring up task manager and start killing java processes.

WTF are you doing?

While disinfecting my computer, the guy at Geek Squad did this to see what programs were running, and he killed the viruses by pressing end-task so I'm doing that too. I don't know what these programs are; I don't use java; these don't belong here so I'm killing them. But they keep reappearing every day. My pc must be infected again.

*headdesk*

Have you considered getting a new friend?

@blakeyrat said:

See, everybody instinctively knows Java is crap, even if they don't know what it is!

I'm going to use this story and your response every time someone extols the virtues of Java to me.

• @blakeyrat said:

See, everybody instinctively knows Java is crap, even if they don't know what it is!

This comment goes to 11.