Vent thread #63254

•  When it comes to console ports to the PC, seeing stuff like the aforementioned "press <key> to continue" at the start, being told not to "power off the machine" or, the worst so far, actually being told to press buttons on the console controller, rather then the appropriate PC keybindings.

I'll be honest though, I don't really like these later consoles. The idea of a console makes me think that you can buy a new game, toss it in, turn the power on, and start playing. But no- nowadays the process is buy the game, pop it in, wait 3 hours for it to download "updates", then finally play a game that if you are really lucky crashes every hour or so. And god forbid to try to play the game without updating, because that will surely quadruple the number of crashes. seems that nowadays the console game development tactic is "well, we can release the beta and then have the finished version as an "update"... nobody will know the difference". To be fair though these later games aren't exactly simple by any stretch of the imagination, but is it really that foolish to expect a playable game out of the box? And at least the real consoles have new games; there is one certain console- made by a certain company, that seems more then content to just squeeze it's already established game franchises over and over and over, and when they run out of new ideas they just re-release some old game that they released, in, say 1993. 

Off-topic fallout 3:

The level cap was 20? I thought it was 30? I got to level 30 before I installed a mod to remove the limit.

•  When we get to Vent thread #65535 does it wrap around to zero?

• @BC_Programmer said:

When it comes to console ports to the PC, seeing stuff like the aforementioned "press <key> to continue" at the start, being told not to "power off the machine" or, the worst so far, actually being told to press buttons on the console controller, rather then the appropriate PC keybindings.

I'll be honest though, I don't really like these later consoles. The idea of a console makes me think that you can buy a new game, toss it in, turn the power on, and start playing. But no- nowadays the process is buy the game, pop it in, wait 3 hours for it to download "updates", then finally play a game that if you are really lucky crashes every hour or so. And god forbid to try to play the game without updating, because that will surely quadruple the number of crashes. seems that nowadays the console game development tactic is "well, we can release the beta and then have the finished version as an "update"... nobody will know the difference". To be fair though these later games aren't exactly simple by any stretch of the imagination, but is it really that foolish to expect a playable game out of the box? And at least the real consoles have new games; there is one certain console- made by a certain company, that seems more then content to just squeeze it's already established game franchises over and over and over, and when they run out of new ideas they just re-release some old game that they released, in, say 1993. 

Off-topic fallout 3:

The level cap was 20? I thought it was 30? I got to level 30 before I installed a mod to remove the limit.

I own an xbox and I have never experienced this continous crashes (well, except for some Bethesda games and even those where localized).  Also on the level cap, well the original game was capped at level 20 if I remember correctly, they might have increased the level cap with some DLC but to me that was a mood killer and I simply did not care to follow it anymore

• On a totally different note what is your take on the new game?  Is it worth the install, I don't have much time and I don't want to waste it in something not worthwhile.  I have it but I don't know wheter to install it or not (borrowed from a mate).

What is your take?

Ed: I just realized this might be confusing, I'm talking about that game not this game, you get me?

• Re: Vent thread #63255

@BC_Programmer said:

I'll be honest though, I don't really like these later consoles. The idea of a console makes me think that you can buy a new game, toss it in, turn the power on, and start playing. But no- nowadays the process is buy the game, pop it in, wait 3 hours for it to download "updates", then finally play a game that if you are really lucky crashes every hour or so.

Ok, first point: you're full of shit about the crashing. I worked at Microsoft testing Xbox 360 titles, and they did not crash unless you had defective hardware.

Secondly: Console titles are still about 50,000 times more plug-and-play than PC titles, so I don't think you have much of a case there. Yes, they're worse now than they were 10 years ago, but on the other hand, PC titles are also worse than they were 10 years ago. (The weird thing is that the gap is purely cultural... there's no technical reason a computer can't behave exactly like a game console.)

Thirdly: Just buy a fucking Xbox controller and plug it into your PC and stop whining. I can't even imagine playing Batman: Arkham Asylum or Super Meat Boy with a fucking keyboard, how would that even work? If the game was made for a controller, buy a fucking controller.

@BC_Programmer said:

And god forbid to try to play the game without updating, because that will surely quadruple the number of crashes. seems that nowadays the console game development tactic is "well, we can release the beta and then have the finished version as an "update"... nobody will know the difference". To be fair though these later games aren't exactly simple by any stretch of the imagination, but is it really that foolish to expect a playable game out of the box?

Dude, you have defective hardware.

@BC_Programmer said:

Depends on what expansions you've installed. Out-of-the-box it's 20.

• @DOA said:

I merely remarked on how completely unacceptable it is to pubish a modern game on the PC without the ability to remap your keys. I mean I've seen other 99% ported titles where you're asked to press a key at the start (why? just show me the menu) or are told not to turn off the machine while saving (so... no pulling out the power cable then?), but never something so retarded.

Personal preference, I guess, but to me "Don't turn off the machine while saving" on a PC is a lot more retarded than not being able to remap keys.

• @BC_Programmer said:

Off-topic fallout 3:

The base game's level cap was 20. The Broken Steel DLC raised it to 30.

• Re: Vent thread #63256

@Scarlet Manuka said:

Personal preference, I guess, but to me "Don't turn off the machine while saving" on a PC is a lot more retarded than not being able to remap keys.

Yeah, but that's cheating, because the message is retarded on consoles, also.

•  @serguey123 said:

On a totally different note what is your take on the new game?  Is it worth the install, I don't have much time and I don't want to waste it in something not worthwhile.  I have it but I don't know wheter to install it or not (borrowed from a mate).

I enjoyed it (I have the PC version); one of my mates pretty much can't play it at all (PS3) due to crash issues (which is mostly where my previous crashing/updating stuff comes from, since I don't have any of the newest generation. But it certainly seems that I may have been partially incorrect of course regarding the "crashing" since now that I think about it, the only games that I've ever gotten to crash were bethesda games, and every thing else seems pretty hunky-dory; the PC version for me seems to be slightly more stable. To summarize it, it really is, in a lot of ways, just more of the same stuff as fallout 3. they changed the sky and now they don't apply that "make everything grey" filter or whatever they do, and they added some fluff (crafting) but unless you wished fallout 3 was longer you might lot enjoy it. They did raise the base level cap to 30, if that helps.

Anyway, to clarify what I meant in my last post, when I said "later consoles" I meant PS3, and when I said "games" I meant Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Thirdly: Just buy a fucking Xbox controller and plug it into your PC and stop whining. I can't even imagine playing Batman: Arkham Asylum or Super Meat Boy with a fucking keyboard, how would that even work? If the game was made for a controller, buy a fucking controller. 

I already have a controller. It's not an XBox controller, but that raises the question, what do I do when I play  a game that decides to show it's buttons as Playstation buttons? Should I also get a PS3 controller to prepare for that eventuality? To be fair I can't remember any actual game that presents it's controls incorrectly, I do remember seeing it in a game at some point rather recently, but what game it was I don't remember.

Dude, you have defective hardware. 

Actually, it's one of my friends who has the PS3; most of what I've stated here is really just hearsay from what he's said and what I can gather from his constant bitching. Considering he's gone through about 4 or 5 PS3's I'm starting to suspect something similar is occuring to them as when his Gamecube's used to "mysteriously" break after he smashed them into a wall. (he literally didn't make the connection) Actually I feel rather silly for not realizing earlier that his aggressive nature and his constant driving force to throw things may be a pretty big factor in his PS3 issues, and no doubt the PC issues he is also complaining about.

• @BC_Programmer said:

@serguey123 said:

On a totally different note what is your take on the new game?  Is it worth the install, I don't have much time and I don't want to waste it in something not worthwhile.  I have it but I don't know wheter to install it or not (borrowed from a mate).

I enjoyed it (I have the PC version); one of my mates pretty much can't play it at all (PS3) due to crash issues (which is mostly where my previous crashing/updating stuff comes from, since I don't have any of the newest generation. But it certainly seems that I may have been partially incorrect of course regarding the "crashing" since now that I think about it, the only games that I've ever gotten to crash were bethesda games, and every thing else seems pretty hunky-dory; the PC version for me seems to be slightly more stable. To summarize it, it really is, in a lot of ways, just more of the same stuff as fallout 3. they changed the sky and now they don't apply that "make everything grey" filter or whatever they do, and they added some fluff (crafting) but unless you wished fallout 3 was longer you might lot enjoy it. They did raise the base level cap to 30, if that helps.

Anyway, to clarify what I meant in my last post, when I said "later consoles" I meant PS3, and when I said "games" I meant Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Point taken but I was actually talking about Dead Space 2 when I refered to the new game (check the tags), DLC don't count as new game in my book.  The flaw for me is that the progresion was fucked up in Fallout 3, other than that it was a fine game, but that killed it for me, raising the cap wouldn't help much unless they fixed the progresion. At some point in the future I might play the DLC to see if they fixed this but..

@BC_Programmer said:

Actually, it's one of my friends who has the PS3; most of what I've stated here is really just hearsay from what he's said and what I can gather from his constant bitching. Considering he's gone through about 4 or 5 PS3's I'm starting to suspect something similar is occuring to them as when his Gamecube's used to "mysteriously" break after he smashed them into a wall. (he literally didn't make the connection) Actually I feel rather silly for not realizing earlier that his aggressive nature and his constant driving force to throw things may be a pretty big factor in his PS3 issues, and no doubt the PC issues he is also complaining about.

The PS3 had some issues with the lens I think, the xbox360 had some issue at the beginning but is solved now.  Err and yes hitting hardware does tend to break it, your friend is an idiot.

• Re: Vent thread #63257

@BC_Programmer said:

what do I do when I play  a game that decides to show it's buttons as Playstation buttons?

Seppuku.

@BC_Programmer said:

Should I also get a PS3 controller to prepare for that eventuality?

Do PS3 controllers even work on a PC? Like... a normal PC without Bluetooth.

I don't own a PS3, so I can't answer your questions. Or for that matter talk about crashing games, because maybe Sony does a shitty job testing games. (That would not surprise me.) I can say that virtually all Xbox 360 crashes are due to faulty hardware. I played Oblivion on my Xbox all the way through (including all side-quests) on 4 different characters, and in all that time I saw ONE crash-to-Dashboard. (I did see bugs, especially relating to their kind of weird physics code, and a couple game-breakers*, but no crashes.)

*) If you murder someone, then next sleep in a trap-filled dungeon, Lucien Lachance can get killed by a booby trap on his way back to the surface, breaking the entire Dark Brotherhood quest line.

@BC_Programmer said:

Actually, it's one of my friends who has the PS3; most of what I've stated here is really just hearsay from what he's said and what I can gather from his constant bitching. Considering he's gone through about 4 or 5 PS3's I'm starting to suspect something similar is occuring to them as when his Gamecube's used to "mysteriously" break after he smashed them into a wall

So you're generalizing based on a complete moron. Good to know.

• @serguey123 said:

The flaw for me is that the progresion was fucked up in Fallout 3

In what way?

• @dhromed said:

@serguey123 said:

The flaw for me is that the progresion was fucked up in Fallout 3

In what way?

Do you want an actual answer or a statement?

Did you played the game?

I could write a paragraph full of sentences describing in lenght how is the progression flawed but I'm reading The Oatmeal and I have a meeting afterward so I'll be brief and give an incomplete and possibly wrong answer to this.

You reach the level cap much faster than you finish the game unless you don't bother with exploring at all and end up becoming pretty much inmortal, millionaire and bored, what is the fucking point of offering a vast world to explore if that is the conclusion.

That is that, see you in two weeks folk

• @BC_Programmer said:

The idea of a console makes me think that you can buy a new game, toss it in, turn the power on, and start playing. But no- nowadays the process is buy the game, pop it in, wait 3 hours for it to download "updates", then finally play a game that if you are really lucky crashes every hour or so. And god forbid to try to play the game without updating, because that will surely quadruple the number of crashes. seems that nowadays the console game development tactic is "well, we can release the beta and then have the finished version as an "update"... nobody will know the difference".

Not every game company is Bethesda.  Fallout 3 on the PC is pretty stable, long as your computer is fast enough to get ahead of the weird glitches (seriously, I built up a whole new box, and Fallout 3 magically started working...)  On the console though it's atrocious, more glitches than gameplay.  But that's not the console's fault.  I've wasted many, many hours on my XBox 360 and a hell of a lot more on my XBox, and it all boils down to the same thing; it's not the hardware, it's the software.  And considering console games have only one or two sets of hardware to plan for, instead of PC games which have to take anything and everything in stride, there is no excuse for unstable console game.  Yes, Bethesda, I'm talking to you.

If your console is fuckin up that often, there is something wrong with it.  Seriously, I get maybe one or two freezes a YEAR.

• @serguey123 said:

You reach the level cap much faster than you finish the game unless you don't bother with exploring at all and end up becoming pretty much inmortal, millionaire and bored

But if the leveling speed matched the total (or significant portion of) game content, then you'd still be level 5when you finished the main quest, and what would be the point in that?

But yeah, I see your point, I guess, because fact is that I did install some levelcap=99 mods, extra perks and skills above 100% mods. :)

Bloody deathclaws still give me shit.

• @blakeyrat said:

don't own a PS3, so I can't answer your questions. Or for that matter talk about crashing games, because maybe Sony does a shitty job testing games. (That would not surprise me.) I can say that virtually all Xbox 360 crashes are due to faulty hardware. I played Oblivion on my Xbox all the way through (including all side-quests) on 4 different characters, and in all that time I saw ONE crash-to-Dashboard. (I did see bugs, especially relating to their kind of weird physics code, and a couple game-breakers*, but no crashes.)

In all my years as a PS3 user I can only remember a couple of crashes - it's something that happens so infrequently as to be a total non-issue.

I have played Oblivion on the PS3 for many, many hours and have had only two crashes.  It hung once and had to be rebooted and the first time I killed Umaril in the spiritual plane I got stuck falling from the sky.  I have occassionally gotten stuck between rocks and had to reload...

• @dhromed said:

@serguey123 said:

You reach the level cap much faster than you finish the game unless you don't bother with exploring at all and end up becoming pretty much inmortal, millionaire and bored

But if the leveling speed matched the total (or significant portion of) game content, then you'd still be level 5when you finished the main quest, and what would be the point in that?

But yeah, I see your point, I guess, because fact is that I did install some levelcap=99 mods, extra perks and skills above 100% mods. :)

Bloody deathclaws still give me shit.

Two words: dart gun.

• @Someone You Know said:

Absolutely true! But it's like just a little too tactical for taking down a single creature. I wish there was a DMG perk for deathclaws, like entomologist and robotics expert.

Friend of mine minmaxed into melee- and fire-related things, and so when he's wielding the shishkebab, he's basically a match for a behemoth.

Me, I just got used to carrying a gatling laser in my back pocket.

My hobby: spotting a team of raiders or mercenaries, and putting a rocket up their ass before they know what hit them.

Maybe I'll visit the ol' wasteland again, once I'm finished with AssCreed II.

• @dhromed said:

@Someone You Know said:

Absolutely true! But it's like just a little too tactical for taking down a single creature. I wish there was a DMG perk for deathclaws, like entomologist and robotics expert.

Friend of mine minmaxed into melee- and fire-related things, and so when he's wielding the shishkebab, he's basically a match for a behemoth.

Me, I just got used to carrying a gatling laser in my back pocket.

My hobby: spotting a team of raiders or mercenaries, and putting a rocket up their ass before they know what hit them.

Maybe I'll visit the ol' wasteland again, once I'm finished with AssCreed II.

I installed the classic weapons mod (and that mod that makes lots more monsters and spawns etc) and I used energy weapons as my primary shit.  Lasers are crazy powerful if you have everything to make your critical chance as high as possible.